U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2015, 06:40 PM

6 posts, read 5,706 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to the Triad area from Connecticut mainly for a change in climate. We want to be warmer!

What used to be 4 seasons has turned into 2 seasons padded with some mush. What I knew as Spring and Fall have become quite cooler than 30 years ago. That just creates a much longer, more dreary Winter. Summer has become shorter with a few "real hot" spells each year.

We heat with oil-fired hot air and cool with central AC. We like fresh air and open the windows as much as possible. Our oil bills have been increasing yearly with the above-mentioned climate change. Our electric bills have been going up because of deregulation and billing separation.

It is only myself and my wife in a 1200 sq.ft. ranch. Here is the lifestyle/usage:
- Almost all LED bulbs
- Electric stove/oven
- Dishwasher (not used as often as I like ...)
- Heat set to 68 in the Winter
- AC set to 76 in the Summer

Last month's electric bill (with hardly any AC usage) was $175 for 700 KWh.

Can I get some example pricing for whatever you can offer?
I'm looking for any kind of metrics - electric, natural gas, propane, oil, etc.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 07:01 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
My wife and I lived in a 3 br condo in Kernersville for about a year (all electric) and our electric bill ranged from about $50 in months of low usage to around $100 in months of high usage.

Duke Power is about 9.5 cents per KWH, if I recall correctly.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:52 AM

28,489 posts, read 62,120,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFromCt View Post
Can I get some example pricing for whatever you can offer?
I'm looking for any kind of metrics - electric, natural gas, propane, oil, etc.
Go to the source that has the best anecdotes: The Gas (or Electric) Companies.

Explain the move situation .
Provide TWO specific addresses (presumably homes that suit you).
Ask for their estimates and a 12 month budget payment number.
Factor in insulation and your conservation tolerance.
Make your best guess.

Generally:
You'll pay less to HEAT than up north (shorter season/less extreme).
You'll pay more to AC than up north (longer season/more extreme).
The biggest difference is the extremely short window screen season.
Many seem to go right from Heat to AC with no in between
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or