U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 10:04 AM

12 posts, read 13,054 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

WS native here, been away for 30 years (left when I was in college) and we are planning on probably moving back next summer. My family is all in the area. We considered Raleigh and Charlotte, but I think Winston is it because of the family -- we have 3 nieces and nephews there; we have one son. We currently live in DC metro, on the MD side. Our son will be going to kindergarten in the fall of 2016.

1. Husband has been a restaurant owner/operator. He's currently in restaurant sales, but is looking to open another restaurant in town, probably a small breakfast/lunch carryout type place. He typically opens in high-traffic locations, with good foot traffic. He's also thinking about a food truck, eventually. Suggestions of where he could locate? We need info on locations, square footages, rent.....Is all the growth out Hanes Mall way?

2. I know some of the major companies in town, but I'm not sure how or when to start looking for work.
Not sure how receptive folks will be to my resume since I am not currently local, though I think the fact that I'm a native is a strong selling point. I have been a writer/editor all my life. I currently work as a writer for a school system, but not sure I want to go that route with a new job. One advantage of living outside DC is that our salaries are generally very good. I know I won't get as much in the South, but I can't take a major paycut either, especially while husband is getting a new business off the ground.

3. Where can we get basic info about the schools in town? I checked the WS/FC Schools website and it leaves something to be desired. We're looking for info on programs the schools offer and things like school enrollment, # of kids in classrooms, etc. I went to Reynolds, but I know these days the more desirable schools are Tabor, West Forsyth and this new Reagan HS I keep hearing about.

4. What about housing? Not sure how much we could spend, but let's say up to $350K. Where should we start looking? Doesn't necessarily have to be Winston proper. We're open to Kernersville, Clemmons, Lewisville, etc...

5. Are there mom's groups where I can ask some of these same questions, either an online group, Facebook, etc.

We will eventually talk to our friends and family in town, but we are hesitant to start that until we've done some initial groundwork. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 10:08 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,822,513 times
For schools information, try this site:

NC School Report Cards

Class size isn't going to vary much between schools.

For neighborhoods, I'd say you're on the right track with Clemmons and Lewisville. In W-S proper, Sherwood Forest and some of the surrounding areas are nice.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 08-21-2015 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point