Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:16 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,554,265 times

Advertisements

First, I can sympathize with the OP's disappointment in not feeling at home if the area isn't a good fit for what she (or he) was expecting or used to wherever back home was. Especially for someone who is relocated due to work, school, or some other reason other than a burning desire to move to particular area on one's own volition. Many of us have been in that predicament, so it's not an overly pleasant experience.

I'm not sure what the OP is expecting, though (other than the opportunity for a bit of a rant, albeit a fairly polite one), because areas are going to have their differences. What is seen as a strength in one person's eyes (quieter, slower pace of life, etc.) is obviously a weakness to someone else, including those in the same generation as the OP, by the way.

It's like this: If someone from rural NC who loves hunting and fishing every day goes to NYC, Philly, etc. and insists that more hunting and fishing be available in a five minute walk of their new digs, as if they were still in rural NC, I doubt they're going to have a lot of productive discussion with the locals about that. Excuse the analogy, but if you're really wanting ice cream, you need to stop thinking you're going to find it in the produce section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 10:39 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,317,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

My gay friends live in Winston. The younger one is going to UNCG to become an art professor. He's an artist. He prefers to live in Winston but prefers to hang out in Greensboro. We spend most of our time in Charlotte but he's showed me around Greensboro and Winston so I'm not totally clueless
Right on. I can't speak for the other poster, but the reason I asked if you'd spent much time in Winston lately is because I sometimes have conversations with people who live in Charlotte, Raleigh, etc., who base their opinions on Winston on experiences that are now years-old. Doesn't sound like that applies to you. Cheers.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,937,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Yeah, Durham solidly passed W-S a few years ago. At the last Census the two were "neck-n-neck" with W-S holding a slight edge. This puts W-S fifth in the state.
Yep as of 2014.

Greensboro 289.146

Durham 245.550

Winston 236.441

A plus for the triad is in the last 3 years, development and organic growth has really been picking up in both Winston Salem and Greensboro. similar to that of the pace of cities in the Triangle. this is due to a better economy, better city planning and alot of "forward" thinking. Both Winston Salem and Greensboro, know where they want to go.

Greensboro's unemployment rate was halved compared to two years ago, And the local economy is mainly focused on big manufacturing HQ's such as Mack inc, Volvo trucks USA, VF corp etcetera and the growing Aerospace ecosystem with the Honda Jet facility which recently just expanded again. The city itself is being pitched as a major Business destination that you can live work and play without breaking the bank. so the overall Vibe compared to W-S will be abit different.

W-S on the other hand has been improving it's already key strength(Healthcare) for years and years now, and is one of best places for Health Care in the United States outside of Duke as far as NC hospitals are concerned. W-S is also becoming a technological hub similar to Research Triangle Park with the Wake Forrest Innovation Quarter which is already booming with many offices and tenants, W-S was originally only heavy industrial and tabaco. if this is not going forward i don't know what is.

Both cities have a heavy industrial background, that was the backbone of GSO and W-S. I could see if they were simply living in the past and reminiscing about the "Good ole days" but no, both cities are moving forward.

edit: Veganwritter, How long does it take you to write a post? from a technical standpoint, it looks impressive, but a simple summary of your key points in a paragraph or two would suffice.

Last edited by YinXyang; 08-31-2015 at 11:21 AM..

Old 08-31-2015, 11:48 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,339,162 times
So with Winston being the 5th largest in the state, it's not so bad of a place. How many states have a city the size of Winston as their 5th largest? What would the 5th largest in say Georgia or Minnesota or Colorado be?

Old 08-31-2015, 12:52 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,317,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
So with Winston being the 5th largest in the state, it's not so bad of a place. How many states have a city the size of Winston as their 5th largest? What would the 5th largest in say Georgia or Minnesota or Colorado be?
Why those would be Athens, Bloomington, and Lakewood, respectively. NC is pretty neat in the way that the population is distributed fairly widely, as compared to states in which there's one or two huge cities whose metros contain most of the population and then everywhere else.

(For example, the 5th largest city in NY is Syracuse, 5th largest in IL is Naperville- a Chicago suburb. In fact, in IL, 4 of the top 5 cities are in the Chicago metro- Chicago, Aurora, Joliet, Naperville. Even the #3 city, Rockford, is only maybe a half hour outside of the Chicago metro.)

So yeah. That is pretty neat. Though I'd say that "not so bad of a place" is still selling Winston a bit short.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:00 PM

530 posts, read 632,591 times
As others have said, if you had settled in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill or Asheville or Charlotte you would have likely had a different experience. No, Winston is not the best place in the state to be a young single person.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:21 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,937,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
As others have said, if you had settled in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill or Asheville or Charlotte you would have likely had a different experience. No, Winston is not the best place in the state to be a young single person.
You forgot Greensboro in that list, GSO has an unprecedented amount of bars, pubs, clubs and breweries in Downtown/Midtown, It's a great climate for young singles who just want to get out and have fun and mingle such as myself. especially on the weekends when it's jam packed with GSO locals, people from VA other triad cities, even people from charlotte and South Carolina club hopping or bar hopping in GSO

Elm street alone has one of the best nightlife scenes in the state.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:31 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
For people who are used to the energy, amenities, social climate, etc. of big cities, most small/midsized cities won't satisfy them, at least not at first. The exceptions tend to be niche cities like Asheville, Charleston, Savannah, etc.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:38 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,433,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
It's like this: If someone from rural NC who loves hunting and fishing every day goes to NYC, Philly, etc. and insists that more hunting and fishing be available in a five minute walk of their new digs, as if they were still in rural NC, I doubt they're going to have a lot of productive discussion with the locals about that. Excuse the analogy, but if you're really wanting ice cream, you need to stop thinking you're going to find it in the produce section.
Really? This is your take on the OP & the responses?

First off, there are places in Philly where the locals fish. It might be a bus ride or subway ride plus a 5 minute walk away. In years when they need to cull the herd in Fairmont Park, a hunter can apply.

The OP is a poorly written whine because a smaller city doesn't have what a larger city in a larger metro has. It's simple. When you grow up, everyone doesn't get an award for showing up. If the OP asked for assistance in finding places & things people would volunteer options. That's not what was written. Therefore the responses suggested finding anothet place more to the poster's liking.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,723,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It was meant as a metaphor and I'm pretty sure I don't give a damn where he landed, vacationed, or even went potty.
Meanwhile, this thread now has almost the same number of off-topic posts as on-topic, based on a silly tangent. No wonder people say they can't find relevant answers to their original questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point