U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:25 AM

7,282 posts, read 13,521,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Meanwhile, this thread now has almost the same number of off-topic posts as on-topic, based on a silly tangent. No wonder people say they can't find relevant answers to their original questions.
What questions did the OP contain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 05:26 PM

550 posts, read 569,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
For people who are used to the energy, amenities, social climate, etc. of big cities, most small/midsized cities won't satisfy them, at least not at first. The exceptions tend to be niche cities like Asheville, Charleston, Savannah, etc.
I'd throw Wilmington in that mix, as well.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:46 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
What Winston was a decade ago seems irrelevant. Why should anyone care if the progress Winston has made? I don't think the OP said anything Derogatory towards Winston. I bet had he chosen Durham or Raleigh or Asheville, maybe Charleston his experience would've been much different? (And for the record I hate the triangle, Greensboro and Asheville and prefer Charlotte, Winston & Wilmington)

If anything you should want people like the OP that presses for positive change as opposed to people who don't care.

My gay friends live in Winston. The younger one is going to UNCG to become an art professor. He's an artist. He prefers to live in Winston but prefers to hang out in Greensboro. We spend most of our time in Charlotte but he's showed me around Greensboro and Winston so I'm not totally clueless
We must have read two different posts because this:
"This is just my opinion on Winston-Salem, NC. But I have been here for almost a year and commuted back and forth prior to that for almost 2 years. A job relocation and school brought me otherwise, I would love to be back North, where there are actual cities and vibrant nightlife."
and the remainder of his/her post does not read of pressing for positive change.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:06 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
As others have said, if you had settled in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill or Asheville or Charlotte you would have likely had a different experience. No, Winston is not the best place in the state to be a young single person.
A big part of finding happiness in a new city is a positive attitude. I don't think it would have mattered one bit if this person had settled in other NC cities - it would have been the same song and dance. He's comparing it to DC...do you really think Charlotte or Asheville would hold up to that comparison?

Plenty of young people find fulfillment in Winston-Salem. It's one of the best NC cities for the arts, but I seriously doubt that this person gave it enough effort to find that out. It's a shame when someone relocates with this kind of attitude - of course he wasn't successful in finding happiness. Those who can move to a new city and look for the positives and really seek out the cultural offerings of their new city have a huge advantage over the complainers - and they will get a much warmer reception.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
We must have read two different posts because this:
"This is just my opinion on Winston-Salem, NC. But I have been here for almost a year and commuted back and forth prior to that for almost 2 years. A job relocation and school brought me otherwise, I would love to be back North, where there are actual cities and vibrant nightlife."
and the remainder of his/her post does not read of pressing for positive change.
Exactly...the OP was a whine-fest and in no way representative of someone in favor of positive change. It was very reminiscent of many from the Northeast who move south and proceed to complain about everything and look down their noses at things that are different from what they are used to. It's very small-minded and shows a lack of cultural understanding.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:13 AM

6 posts, read 7,012 times
Wherever you go, there you are.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:21 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,324,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
You have an amazing capacity to use many words, yet say nothing. Your thoughts are so disjointed and detached from reality as to make any meaningful response impossible. I literally can't find anything in this post that has any relationship to what the OP said.

Or maybe I'm just a dumb local who can't understand the more refined ways of brilliant outsiders like yourself. Although I will say I don't take any psych meds. But I do know who needs to take them.
No, I'm a very well educated person with no skin in this game (haven't even been to W-S), but I couldn't make sense of the post in question either!

Old 09-02-2015, 09:04 AM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
I'd throw Wilmington in that mix, as well.
Wilmington doesn't seem to be quite as popular and "hip" as those cities and doesn't have the prestige and draw that they have among younger folks. For older folks and retirees, no doubt.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
No, I'm a very well educated person with no skin in this game (haven't even been to W-S), but I couldn't make sense of the post in question either!
I'm pretty sure it was sarcasm...it doesn't take education or worldliness to see problems with that original post.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:02 PM

240 posts, read 225,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Yep as of 2014.

Greensboro 289.146

Durham 245.550

Winston 236.441

A plus for the triad is in the last 3 years, development and organic growth has really been picking up in both Winston Salem and Greensboro. similar to that of the pace of cities in the Triangle. this is due to a better economy, better city planning and alot of "forward" thinking. Both Winston Salem and Greensboro, know where they want to go.

Greensboro's unemployment rate was halved compared to two years ago, And the local economy is mainly focused on big manufacturing HQ's such as Mack inc, Volvo trucks USA, VF corp etcetera and the growing Aerospace ecosystem with the Honda Jet facility which recently just expanded again. The city itself is being pitched as a major Business destination that you can live work and play without breaking the bank. so the overall Vibe compared to W-S will be abit different.

W-S on the other hand has been improving it's already key strength(Healthcare) for years and years now, and is one of best places for Health Care in the United States outside of Duke as far as NC hospitals are concerned. W-S is also becoming a technological hub similar to Research Triangle Park with the Wake Forrest Innovation Quarter which is already booming with many offices and tenants, W-S was originally only heavy industrial and tabaco. if this is not going forward i don't know what is.

Both cities have a heavy industrial background, that was the backbone of GSO and W-S. I could see if they were simply living in the past and reminiscing about the "Good ole days" but no, both cities are moving forward.

edit: Veganwritter, How long does it take you to write a post? from a technical standpoint, it looks impressive, but a simple summary of your key points in a paragraph or two would suffice.
As a Winston native, I see progress, but it's SLOW. Winston historically is still fairly conservative culturally and economically for a city of its size, IMO. Having moved away to a small rural town with a large public university, it felt more progressive economically and culturally(diverse) than my hometown that was 4 times its size. I think the manufacturing and service-based economy Winston relied on for years is changing, but it still feels like the economic progress leaves out a huge swath of the city's population. Healthcare and hard sciences are very specialized fields, I wish there were more opportunities for people outside of those fields.

Durham feels much different, thought it's very similar to Winston historically with the tobacco and private, elite universities. The Duke family and Reynolds families presence in both areas, respectively. However, Durham's proximity to Raleigh and Chapel Hill give it a very different feel and atmosphere than Winston. I can say the same for Greensboro, actually. It feels more diverse and inclusive; you see different ethnicities at varying income levels in those cities than you do in Winston. Greensboro feels like a college town, but Winston doesn't. Greensboro only has 1 or 2 more colleges than Winston does, but my theory is that the presence of a large public university really helps the diversity in any town or city. Winston colleges are specialized and traditionally cater to certain types of students. It's great, but it can potentially create and perpetuate social stratification and boundaries that some people are hesitant to cross. Winston is kind of insular in that respect compared to other places. I don't see as many people venturing outside of social circles that feature people just like themselves like I have in other places.

To the original poster's point, I understand her perspective. However, as others have mentioned, a mid-sized Southern city is not going to compare to any city with a million plus people no matter where that city is located. Winston's nightlife has grown a lot since my childhood in the 80s, but there's definitely room for growth and improvement which I hope to see in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or