U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-27-2015, 10:12 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,456 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

This is just my opinion on Winston-Salem, NC. But I have been here for almost a year and commuted back and forth prior to that for almost 2 years. A job relocation and school brought me otherwise, I would love to be back North, where there are actual cities and vibrant nightlife.

A few things I have noticed about Winston-Salem or "the South" is that one they pride themselves on being nice. When they do have this aura or attitude as in no one can not tell us no different or otherwise--this is how it is type of deal. It is for sure the land of pimento cheese, Cheerwine (What is that?), retirees, and bored housewives of doctors and "old money".

I have seen so many posts, blogs, articles when I reserach on what to do in W-S that constantly push the location for the arts and innovation district. Innovation, yes. Arts? Not so much. There are a few galleries literally here and there but nothing to exciting or renowned. I have relied on the vast amont of wineries and breweries for my weekend fun. Or the other option, make the hour and a half hike to Charlotte, NC. Also the food trucks they have are so cute, they will promote them like there are several when in actuality it is the same three trucks. This does not live up to DCs Farragut Square lunctime food rallies. But they try so...

I once said to someone that it is a "city" that is trying really hard to be something but I am not sure quite what though. The arts district is so small it is cute. But here you will run across some hippies, young professionals, older crowd etc. There is a mixture but I want this city to be more. I feel it has potential OR like anything and most people in the south--are scared of a little change.

Otherwise, I give the city an A- for traffic. Traffic? None. Do you mean the random bouts of congestion on the main thruways which is just slow drivers adhering to the 45 mph speed limit of folks who cannot merge. Either way. If you cringe at traffic this is the place for you. If you like having an actual social life, meh--you will have to put forth your best effort.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2015, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,396 posts, read 19,409,569 times
Reputation: 11278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme2085 View Post
This is just my opinion on Winston-Salem, NC. But I have been here for almost a year and commuted back and forth prior to that for almost 2 years. A job relocation and school brought me otherwise, I would love to be back North, where there are actual cities and vibrant nightlife.
What's stopping you? Nobody should be where they are miserable. Plenty of folks love the area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2015, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,753 posts, read 4,225,496 times
Reputation: 3817
I have to agree. If you don't like the south, move. It's pretty much that cut and dry. There are plenty of native residents around who find plenty of actives and nightlife that they enjoy around the area. Why does it have to be as big as what you find in bigger Northern cities?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2015, 11:23 AM
 
2,647 posts, read 6,081,893 times
Reputation: 3408
Wait a minute. You're saying Winston-Salem doesn't live up to Farragut Square in Washington, DC? I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell ya!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2015, 12:27 PM
 
7,281 posts, read 13,520,136 times
Reputation: 3610
Winston-Salem has 236k residents in the city proper. If you were under the mistaken impression that it would have an urban fabric to rival DC, etc., I think you were misinformed.

And I can see being disappointed by the arts if you're limiting your search to the galleries on Trade St, but SECCA, Reynolda House, UNCSA, the National Black Theatre Festival, Milton Rhodes/HanesBrands, RiverRun and other film festivals, Sawtooth (if you'd rather make art than see it), etc... I don't know. Maybe you have more time than I do, but there seems like a fair number of artistic things to do for a city that size.

As for food trucks? I can't argue with that one. There aren't a huge number of local trucks (though I have my favorites), and at the big truck rodeos (Like Burke St), there are lots, but most of the most interesting ones are from out of town.

But then again, I spent my younger years in a huge city and appreciate a place that I can get my arms around and raise a family while also having stuff to do. Go find someplace that makes you happy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2015, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Durham, North Carolina
774 posts, read 1,614,367 times
Reputation: 1478
Default Ahh....

Ahhh... don't you just LOVE these responses?

So QUICK with the negative put-downs and defensiveness.
No discussion... no process... just: "IF YOU DON'T AGREE, GET OUT."

Really?
There's no, "One South" for everything... but there ARE "Southern Values" ... which are interesting because the entire nation originally came from "small town, agrarian roots." And perhaps this is what consciously or unconsciously draws us here? (i.e. North Carolina, it's more of, "small town South" ... regardless of the "city." People still either know each other or knows someone who knows you?)

See... the interesting part to me is ... the time we're living in.
  1. On one hand, there IS a "Southern" value that says, "Keep family business at home." Don't discuss your problems... smile and wave and pretend that everything is happy and keep walking.
  2. But that's complicated by the fact that we're living in 2015 where there's all these complexities around social issues THAT ARE EVERYWHERE... new slants on Feminism... and how it affects power dynamics on jobs and in personal relationships... changing relationships to churches... sexuality... how technology is effecting people (i.e. in our alienated time, the stats show that half the church population is addicted to porn) ... drugs .. legal and illegal ... education ... employment dynamics... etc...
So if the cultural value system teaches people now to talk... then how is frustration processed?
  • Bullying?
  • More pills?
  • Police say the heroin epidemic sweeping the country is moving into North Carolina
  • Since Durham has become the LGBT capital (i think?) of N.C., then it appears that Greensboro is the "Down Low Lesbian" area of choice??
  • Pickup trucks still flying Stars and Bars while saying there's no race problem ... yet Internalize Racism can some time feel like it's off the hook... (i.e. blacks supporting behavior that keeps them oppressed)
How are the issues of toxic shame PROCESSED??
The OP's statement about ARTS is more than just about activity ... it's absolutely CRITICAL to human beings in making sense of their world. NO place stays the same--regardless how it's dealt with.

As long as more AMERICANS are taking rising amounts of psych medications, clearly the status quo is not perfect and the problems of life cannot be simply swept under the carpet as the fault of, "Newcomers."

I almost feel like the negativity that comes up by old-timers when issues are raised is symptomatic of "Agitated Depression." "It won't hurt if you don't move it."

If you're a native and you love it... and you love having a standard of living that matches what you see on T.V. --- then you're going to have to accept that you live in a nation where people move around. That includes companies and technologies. So instead of just trying to slam the book closed... tell us why you believe what's worked in the past will work in the future. (Hmm... seems like the best way to maintain it to me...)

On the other hand, if there's a splinter in your hand... don't hid it and try to shame the next guy who gets a splinter in his hand... find out how to remove it!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2015, 01:06 PM
 
7,281 posts, read 13,520,136 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
"IF YOU DON'T AGREE, GET OUT."
That's not at all what I said. I don't think that's what anyone said.

If you're young and don't have anything keeping you in a place where you're unhappy, you should go find someplace you prefer, no?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2015, 01:11 PM
 
Location: The Emerald City
1,486 posts, read 1,693,471 times
Reputation: 2109
I lived in DC for years. I loved it too. I felt like I was part of something big. i miss that level of activity sometimes.

I agree that a small city is very different from a big one. I'm glad I lived in one when I was young and had the energy for it.

There's no reason for anyone to live where one is unhappy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2015, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,805,828 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Ahhh... don't you just LOVE these responses?

So QUICK with the negative put-downs and defensiveness.
No discussion... no process... just: "IF YOU DON'T AGREE, GET OUT."

Really?
There's no, "One South" for everything... but there ARE "Southern Values" ... which are interesting because the entire nation originally came from "small town, agrarian roots." And perhaps this is what consciously or unconsciously draws us here? (i.e. North Carolina, it's more of, "small town South" ... regardless of the "city." People still either know each other or knows someone who knows you?)

See... the interesting part to me is ... the time we're living in.
  1. On one hand, there IS a "Southern" value that says, "Keep family business at home." Don't discuss your problems... smile and wave and pretend that everything is happy and keep walking.
  2. But that's complicated by the fact that we're living in 2015 where there's all these complexities around social issues THAT ARE EVERYWHERE... new slants on Feminism... and how it affects power dynamics on jobs and in personal relationships... changing relationships to churches... sexuality... how technology is effecting people (i.e. in our alienated time, the stats show that half the church population is addicted to porn) ... drugs .. legal and illegal ... education ... employment dynamics... etc...
So if the cultural value system teaches people now to talk... then how is frustration processed?
  • Bullying?
  • More pills?
  • Police say the heroin epidemic sweeping the country is moving into North Carolina
  • Since Durham has become the LGBT capital (i think?) of N.C., then it appears that Greensboro is the "Down Low Lesbian" area of choice??
  • Pickup trucks still flying Stars and Bars while saying there's no race problem ... yet Internalize Racism can some time feel like it's off the hook... (i.e. blacks supporting behavior that keeps them oppressed)
How are the issues of toxic shame PROCESSED??
The OP's statement about ARTS is more than just about activity ... it's absolutely CRITICAL to human beings in making sense of their world. NO place stays the same--regardless how it's dealt with.

As long as more AMERICANS are taking rising amounts of psych medications, clearly the status quo is not perfect and the problems of life cannot be simply swept under the carpet as the fault of, "Newcomers."

I almost feel like the negativity that comes up by old-timers when issues are raised is symptomatic of "Agitated Depression." "It won't hurt if you don't move it."

If you're a native and you love it... and you love having a standard of living that matches what you see on T.V. --- then you're going to have to accept that you live in a nation where people move around. That includes companies and technologies. So instead of just trying to slam the book closed... tell us why you believe what's worked in the past will work in the future. (Hmm... seems like the best way to maintain it to me...)

On the other hand, if there's a splinter in your hand... don't hid it and try to shame the next guy who gets a splinter in his hand... find out how to remove it!
You have an amazing capacity to use many words, yet say nothing. Your thoughts are so disjointed and detached from reality as to make any meaningful response impossible. I literally can't find anything in this post that has any relationship to what the OP said.

Or maybe I'm just a dumb local who can't understand the more refined ways of brilliant outsiders like yourself. Although I will say I don't take any psych meds. But I do know who needs to take them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2015, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
62 posts, read 58,475 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
You have an amazing capacity to use many words, yet say nothing. Your thoughts are so disjointed and detached from reality as to make any meaningful response impossible. I literally can't find anything in this post that has any relationship to what the OP said.
Exactly. TL;DR
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top