U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2008, 02:10 PM

3,492 posts, read 5,645,041 times
Default is a trolley system (rail) on the horizon for Greensboro?

Could the city of Greensboro be preparing to offer trolley service (rail)?
A citizen wrote in the News & Record editorials about using the battleground rail corridor from downtown Greensboro through Northwest Greensboro for trolley/light rail service. (I mentioned the same thing in the editorials several years ago) The citizens said since the rail was already in place and its abandoned and would be very inexpensive to start a trolley. He mentioned about hearing about a plan to turn that into a greenway and ripping up the tracks instead....apparently those plans may have changed. Another writer who responded said he heard from the city that they are purchasing the right-of-way for a train/trolley system for public use on the existing existing tracks. I sure hope thats the case and if so Greensboro could be getting a trolley quicker than we imagined. A trolley line makes more sense then a greenway because the battleground rail corridor is surrounded by retail and commerce. A greenway wouldnt make since because there is very little residential along that corridor so who would use it as a walking path? But having a trolley line in this corridor would alow residents from far Northwest Greensboro to take a trolley to downtown Greensboro or maybe a downtown worker could take the trolley to Target on his lunch break. This trolley would be similar to Charlotte's first trolley (The Gold RUsh) but the difference with Greensboro's is that it would serve as more of a transportation service and the line would be longer. The Gold Rush in Charlotte was more of a tourist attraction.
Here is the reponse the person in the News & Record got

"I'm fairly certain Greensboro is not planning to pull those existing tracks up. In fact, it's already in the works to make a train/trolley system for public use using the existing tracks. Just found out last night"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:42 AM

2,560 posts, read 5,405,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Could the city of Greensboro be preparing to offer trolley service (rail)?
A citizen wrote in the News & Record editorials about using the battleground rail corridor from downtown Greensboro through Northwest Greensboro for trolley/light rail service. (I mentioned the same thing in the editorials several years ago) The citizens said since the rail was already in place and its abandoned and would be very inexpensive to start a trolley. He mentioned about hearing about a plan to turn that into a greenway and ripping up the tracks instead....apparently those plans may have changed. Another writer who responded said he heard from the city that they are purchasing the right-of-way for a train/trolley system for public use on the existing existing tracks. I sure hope thats the case and if so Greensboro could be getting a trolley quicker than we imagined. A trolley line makes more sense then a greenway because the battleground rail corridor is surrounded by retail and commerce. A greenway wouldnt make since because there is very little residential along that corridor so who would use it as a walking path? But having a trolley line in this corridor would alow residents from far Northwest Greensboro to take a trolley to downtown Greensboro or maybe a downtown worker could take the trolley to Target on his lunch break. This trolley would be similar to Charlotte's first trolley (The Gold RUsh) but the difference with Greensboro's is that it would serve as more of a transportation service and the line would be longer. The Gold Rush in Charlotte was more of a tourist attraction.
Here is the reponse the person in the News & Record got

"I'm fairly certain Greensboro is not planning to pull those existing tracks up. In fact, it's already in the works to make a train/trolley system for public use using the existing tracks. Just found out last night"
The Gold Rush Trolley in Charlotte connects to Light Rail and you can ride light rail to shopping during your lunch break.

Alot of Uptown Charlotte residents (like myself) use the Gold Rush Trolley daily to and from work and from home to the grocery store and from home to restaurants and other destinations. So it doesn't just serve tourist areas!

GREAT concept!

Charlotte is already in the planning stages for other Light Rail lines. Next is the NORTH Line that will run all the way to Mooresville, NC.

They they will work on the NORTHEAST, SOUTHEAST, West & East.

It will take years but you have to start sometime. Plus it is very expensive!

You have to have density to make light rail work.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 AM

Default re: N Club in Greensboro?

When it comes to mass transit (rail) cities have to make small steps towards it. I think the trolley on existing abandoned rail lines is a great start because its very inexpensive and it gets the public prepared for more expensive services such as light rail and commuter rail. There are abandoned rail lines in downtown Greensboro as well so the trolley service can even extend into downtown all the way to the depot. Its a no brainer. I also dont want to see Greensboro become the last big city in NC to do this. Greensboro needs to take more of a leadership role statewide.

Last edited by gsoboi; 01-28-2008 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 AM

21,682 posts, read 37,020,044 times
Good information and good goals for Greensboro but I need to clarify some things.

What you mention above about the Gold Rush is correct but it was not called that but just Charlotte Trolley's
http://www.charlottetrolley.org/dyn/images/85-at-Park.jpg (broken link)

The Gold Rush is like a mini bus design like a trolley it is on tires and can be driven on any street run for free Uptown during the week about every 7 minutes http://www.charlottetrip.com/images/goldr.gif

Photo of the light rail Lynx http://www.masstransitmag.com/images/article/1190143166715_f1_02.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-28-2008, 10:25 AM

2,560 posts, read 5,405,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
When it comes to mass transit (rail) cities have to make small steps towards it. I think the trolley on existing abandoned rail lines is a great start because its very inexpensive and it gets the public prepared for more expensive services such as light rail and commuter rail. There are abandoned rail lines in downtown Greensboro as well so the trolley service can even extend into downtown all the way to the depot. Its a no brainer. I also dont want to see Greensboro become the last big city in NC to do this. Greensboro needs to take more of a leadership role statewide.
It would make perfectly good sense to use existing lines. That is what Charlotte did with the Light Rail SOUTH Line.

I am glad to see you are a supporter or Light Rail. I am too!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Good information and good goals for Greensboro but I need to clarify some things.

What you mention above about the Gold Rush is correct but it was not called that but just Charlotte Trolley's
http://www.charlottetrolley.org/dyn/images/85-at-Park.jpg (broken link)

The Gold Rush is like a mini bus design like a trolley it is on tires and can be driven on any street run for free Uptown during the week about every 7 minutes http://www.charlottetrip.com/images/goldr.gif

Photo of the light rail Lynx http://www.masstransitmag.com/images/article/1190143166715_f1_02.jpg (broken link)
Thanks for the correction

Old 01-28-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
It would make perfectly good sense to use existing lines. That is what Charlotte did with the Light Rail SOUTH Line.

I am glad to see you are a supporter or Light Rail. I am too!
Im definately a supporter...im not sure if the mentality is there for light rail just yet...trolley yes but light rail no..Greensboro can have a small town mentality so it may be a pretty good while before we see an extended light rail system across the city. However Commuter Rail service, which requires no over head wire will begin in about 9 years according to the city of Greensboro website. The commuter rail will be more of a regional rail service connecting Greensboro with Winston-Salem and Greensboro with Burlington. This is a similar service thats being planned for the Triangle area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point