U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 01:20 AM

19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times

Advertisements

A site plan was submitted to the Village of Clemmons on Thursday, 3 September 2015 for a retail center at the southwest corner of Lewisville-Clemmons Road and South Peace Valley Road. The proposed development includes a 49,000 square feet supermarket that is rumored to be a Publix, an additional retail store, a bank, and two restaurants.

The Village of Clemmons Planning Board will hold a public hearing for the rezoning request at its meeting on Tuesday, 20 October 2015. The Village Council would consider the issue at its meeting on Monday, 9 November 2015.

Further reading:
O'Donnell, Lisa. "Publix considering site in Clemmons." Clemmons, North Carolina: Winston-Salem Journal. 2015-09-03.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 05:37 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
Oh boy, even more concrete and traffic, and even less trees.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
A site plan was submitted to the Village of Clemmons on Thursday, 3 September 2015 for a retail center at the southwest corner of Lewisville-Clemmons Road and South Peace Valley Road.
Correction: I incorrectly referred to South Peace Haven Road as South Peace Valley Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Oh boy, even more concrete and traffic, and even less trees.
I would be curious to see the site plan with attention to preserving and maintaining greenery and careful planning for parking and traffic clow.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:25 PM

Clemmons Planning Board unanimously approved the rezoning request and site plan for the proposed development that could include Publix at Lewisville-Clemmons Road and South Peace Haven Road. The issue is projected to go before Clemmons Village Council in January with a public hearing.

Further reading:
O'Donnell, Lisa. "Planning Board clears one hurdle for Publix in Clemmons." Clemmons, North Carolina: Winston-Salem Journal. 2015-11-25.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:53 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Clemmons seems to have better zoning ordinances than many cities that size, in my observations.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:12 AM

62 posts, read 51,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Clemmons seems to have better zoning ordinances than many cities that size, in my observations.
Oh, I think I could challenge the sense of the village powers-that-be. After all, they accepted that very rococo clock and erected it in front of the village hall. I wonder how many accidents it has caused? The first time we approached it, the reaction was to tap the brakes and go "the hell...?" I know it was given to honor a local builder and funded by the family, but sweet baby peas, that thing is ugly.

Publix is a nice store; I've been to the one in Cary; but with a large Lowe's Foods down the road, the new Walmart grocery store, Harris Teeter at the Harper Road exit just to the west, and a Food Lion and smaller Lowe's Foods at the Bermuda Run exit, I question the necessity.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:21 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinLuv View Post
Oh, I think I could challenge the sense of the village powers-that-be. After all, they accepted that very rococo clock and erected it in front of the village hall. I wonder how many accidents it has caused? The first time we approached it, the reaction was to tap the brakes and go "the hell...?" I know it was given to honor a local builder and funded by the family, but sweet baby peas, that thing is ugly.

Publix is a nice store; I've been to the one in Cary; but with a large Lowe's Foods down the road, the new Walmart grocery store, Harris Teeter at the Harper Road exit just to the west, and a Food Lion and smaller Lowe's Foods at the Bermuda Run exit, I question the necessity.
I've seen way, way worse.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Publix's entry into the Clemmons market could initiate a shift in participants. Stronger participants would remain and grow. Weaker participants would close stores and exit.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:20 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Quote:

I agree that it's ugly, but most people hated the Eifel Tower when it was completed too...just sayin'. In 100 years that ugly clock may be considered iconic and beautiful.

There are actually two Food Lions...one near 421 and one at Kinnamon and South Stratford Rd. There is also a Lowe's in Lewisville, but you're talking about an area of at least 60,000 residents covering East Davie and Southwest Forsyth. I'm thinking it's large enough to support that many grocers, and I feel sure Publix has done their due diligence on the matter.

A rendering of the new Winston-Salem store...I hope the one in Clemmons looks similar. It has a look similar to many of their historic locations in Florida.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:15 PM

62 posts, read 51,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I agree that it's ugly, but most people hated the Eifel Tower when it was completed too...just sayin'. In 100 years that ugly clock may be considered iconic and beautiful.

There are actually two Food Lions...one near 421 and one at Kinnamon and South Stratford Rd. There is also a Lowe's in Lewisville, but you're talking about an area of at least 60,000 residents covering East Davie and Southwest Forsyth. I'm thinking it's large enough to support that many grocers, and I feel sure Publix has done their due diligence on the matter.

A rendering of the new Winston-Salem store...I hope the one in Clemmons looks similar. It has a look similar to many of their historic locations in Florida.
The clock could be better situated. My guess is that after the first "what the..?" people go back to their usual sweeping past form of driving. The approach to that intersection has become so congested; the need to be on the ball so imperative; that it's not wise to dawdle and stare. The person for whom the clock was created as a tribute is not being served where it now stands. I would suggest that a better spot would be the intersection of Harper and 158; it would make it appear part of Tanglewood; but that's outside of Clemmons right now.

Kinnamon Food Lion - forgot about that one It is one of the nicer ones. I've been hunting around to see if the idea to build apartments, using the entrance to the strip mall, still stands. I'm sure the Clemmons poobahs would like to see those ratty rental homes along the road be taken down. And that would hopefully draw more interest to the other open properties in that strip.

That Publix is interested isn't surprising, and it is a good sign of recovery. There are two articles in The Journal - one from 2013 and the other 2014, which indicate the worry and now hope about the economy of the area

2013 - Strip mall vacancies draw attention: Lewisville, Clemmons explore ways to fill empty stores - Winston-Salem Journal: News

2014 -- Kinnamon Village lands four new tenants - Winston-Salem Journal: Local Business

There'll be people who are fine with crossing I-40, or taking the snarly exit to get to the new store. Having checked out Publix, they won't gain me as a customer. The people at the Clemmons Lowe's especially, have worked hard to build a loyal customer base. I enjoy seeing the chicken ladies and the people turning out the home made sausage. Some of that stuff is powerful. Not to mention supporting a locally based chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point