Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 08:44 PM

13 posts, read 27,791 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Early this week, my Persian kitty was found carrying flea dirts. Then, 2 days ago, I found live fleas and dirts in the neck of another kitty. I never see any signs of fleas nor did I think having flea issues in my apartment -- I comb my cats every day, bath them often, and clean and vacuum my small apartment at least 3 times a week (I am a bit OCD when it comes to cleaning home). All my kitty are strictly indoor cats. I don't even touch other cats to avoid carrying anything (like fleas, contagious diseases) over to my own. So, I had no idea about how I got fleas in my nearly spotless apartment!

I've been living in this apartment complex for over two years and a half, and never had flea issues till this summer. I don't change anything in my own schedule (same work place, gym, etc. etc.). The only thing I can think of is that from early this summer, I began seeing more and more stray kitties in our apt complex; initially 1 or 2 adult cats, then many more kittens, some of who were running around my apartment building. They actually look well, so I was also wondering if these cats may be of another resident.

I immediately talked to the manager of the apartment complex, suggesting that this stray kitty issue may be related to my apartment's flea issue. She said another resident complained about stray cats on the same day, but since she didn't see cats herself, she wouldn't be able to do anything. She suggested, instead, that I (or any resident) should call the animal control "when the stray cat was seen."

After I got home and began researching how to get rid of fleas, I felt overwhelmed and a bit angry as well. I really don't think I should be the one who calls the animal control for stray cats. I felt this manager is lazy as she didn't even say something like she would investigate the issue.

I am thinking about talking (e-mailing) to the manager, but want to do this diplomatically. Could anybody give suggestions? I am mostly concerned about 2 things:

(1) I don't want to be blamed for a flea infestation (which I don't think is not yet), when I will move out of this apartment. I am a victim of this problem. I will be reading the lease very carefully again, but I am not thinking about asking the management to reimburse costs of things I will need to buy to kill fleas within my apartment.

(2) Shouldn't the apartment management do something to clean at least the common areas of the apartment complex? I think it is imperative to control the whole environment, including the outdoor as well as the indoor of my apartment. I cannot do this, nor should I be responsible for. I really wonder if other residents, in particular those who walk their dogs, are experiencing the flea issue.

Thanks much for your advice.

Last edited by soycat; 09-12-2015 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 09:23 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,556,392 times
What is the layout of the building?
I would recommend asking your vet about flea control.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:01 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,359 times
Fleas can jump on you and get in your house. If your cats are indoor cats, that's probably how they got into your home. Fleas can be anywhere outdoors, stray cats or no stray cats.

Talk to your vet. There are ways to get rid of them without toxicity to your pets.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:14 AM

149 posts, read 250,565 times
You should treat your cats with Revolution. It's a once a month flea, tickm and heartworm treatment. Heartworm is transmitted to cats via mosquitoes. It's very effective and easy to apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of: