U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 03:52 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,659,741 times

Advertisements

This is very sad news, especially for a community and county already struggling economically... 37 years in Eden and 520 current employees.

MillerCoors to close Eden brewery in September 2016 - Winston-Salem Journal: Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 04:07 PM

238 posts, read 255,392 times
Sad news for that area. I thought there was a plan to encourage an auto plant in that region, with Martinsville-Henry County
getting more jobs with help from the state of Va. Generally, Va doesn't offer incentives to attract new jobs but it seems to be
helping in Henry County as the state of Va has been aggressively bringing jobs there. I know there are craft breweries from
the west coast looking to expand on the east coast. NC has a great economic development program, unlike Va LOL!!
My thoughts are with the affected families in that area!

Old 09-14-2015, 04:12 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,810,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner222 View Post
Sad news for that area. I thought there was a plan to encourage an auto plant in that region, with Martinsville-Henry County
getting more jobs with help from the state of Va. Generally, Va doesn't offer incentives to attract new jobs but it seems to be
helping in Henry County as the state of Va has been aggressively bringing jobs there. I know there are craft breweries from
the west coast looking to expand on the east coast. NC has a great economic development program, unlike Va LOL!!
My thoughts are with the affected families in that area!
Neither of those statements is true.

Back to the topic at hand, this is indeed terrible news for Rockingham County.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:45 PM

Yes, it is a sad day for Rockingham County.
Just to clarify, job creation in Va is among the worst in the U.S. currently. This is due to the faltering economy in Northern
Virginia, due to federal cutbacks. The traditional view on economic development in Va is to rely on the once booming
NoVa economy to pay the bills. There is now a push to offer incentives in other parts of the state. We need help!
We are in a big mess in this country! I am sick and tired of these announcements!

Old 09-14-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is a sad day for Rockingham County.
Just to clarify, job creation in Va is among the worst in the U.S. currently. This is due to the faltering economy in Northern
Virginia, due to federal cutbacks. The traditional view on economic development in Va is to rely on the once booming
NoVa economy to pay the bills. There is now a push to offer incentives in other parts of the state. We need help!
We are in a big mess in this country! I am sick and tired of these announcements!
Virginia has aggressively offered incentives throughout the Commonwealth for many, many years.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:24 PM

I'm trying to understand how Va aggressively tries to recruit jobs. It must be more of a regional approach. The Companies
come to NoVa, Richmond but little in Hampton Roads, Roanoke, Lynchburg, etc. I think certain areas like Blacksburg/Va Tech
are doing well in specialized technology jobs. To me, outside of a few regions, most of the state is not feeling good about
new jobs.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,596,356 times
I remember the day around 1998 installing CAT 5 wire through the plant setting up a network. I remember watching a can of beer flying off conveyor belt and the smell of hops outside the odor was similar to over cooked green beans.

This announcement of Miller is unfortunate for Rockingham county as it has one of the highest unemployment in Piedmont.
It has had some economic blows with Pillotex and American Tobacco closure then the Duke coal spill has it economic impact effecting catfish, Bass, Deer.

I'm glad craft brewing is growing in this state l, surprise the big breweries haven't lobbied against them but I personally think Miller and Budweiser brands are gross basically flavored water.

If these 500 workers are good at what they do then transfer or find another brewery.

It to bad the DOTs didn't design I 73 or I 74 to go through this county that doesn't have interstate. It would be good location for connecting I 81 with I 85 or I 840 via turning rest of Hwy 220 to interstate quality. This will help this area grow.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-14-2015 at 08:26 PM..

Old 09-14-2015, 08:10 PM

Yes, the upgrading of US 220 to I81 in Va continues to be a major hurdle. Maybe if Va had built I73 from I81 from Roanoke
years ago the economy of Southside and Rockingham would be better today, who knows. Va continues to be light years away
from NC in road construction, especially in southern Va. I think Eden is a charming town but about 10 years ago I noticed a lot
of distress.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:14 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,526,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

I'm glad craft brewing is growing in this state l, surprise the big breweries haven't lobbied against them
Oh, the big breweries have lobbied against them. They've been fighting craft beer hard, despite the fact that even with the huge growth in microbrews over the last few years, Big Beer still makes up something like 75% of the market. Imports are another 15%. Craft is like 10 or 11%

I hate to see people losing their jobs, but I haven't bought a miller or Coors in years.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:35 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to understand how Va aggressively tries to recruit jobs. It must be more of a regional approach. The Companies
come to NoVa, Richmond but little in Hampton Roads, Roanoke, Lynchburg, etc. I think certain areas like Blacksburg/Va Tech
are doing well in specialized technology jobs. To me, outside of a few regions, most of the state is not feeling good about
new jobs.
Thats true of many states, including NC. Outside of Charlotte and Raleigh, economic development success has been scarce in NC. Rural counties in eastern and western NC have been particularly hard hit by job losses, and have had great difficulty in replacing those jobs. NC has also severely handicapped itself by allowing the primary incentive program (Job Development investment Grants) to basically expire and run out of money for the past year.

Just because specific areas of VA haven't seen great results doesn't mean there is no effort is being put forth. If the only factor influencing success was effort, every state would massively successful in economic development. Its more complicated than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point