U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-06-2015, 02:42 PM
 
122 posts, read 418,431 times
Reputation: 75

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am will be traveling to Greensboro/Winston Salem in the next month or two scouting the Triad area for possible retirement.
Would appreciate all suggestions on best area for single women to retire in. Looking for a ranch styled house/villa or condo. Price range around $200,000. Two or three bedrooms with a garage if possible. Open to a 55+ community. Saw something on Bermunda Village (or Run); is this a nice community?
My Aunt and I are very low key, friendly people looking for a nice, safe area. Okay, I'm an A type person that likes flip flops rather than corporate dress. Once I retire, will slow down to an A- Would prefer to be able to walk to stores/restaurants if possible. Is there a Catholic church in the area?
Moving from expensive NJ in the next 4 - 6 months IF we can find an area we love.
I'm in my early 60s and my aunt is in her early 80s.
If anyone can suggest a realtor, that would be helpful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2015, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,819,933 times
Reputation: 3417
Bermuda Village is very nice, but it is a bit isolated in my opinion. There's not a lot a difference between G'boro and W-S...similar size, similar amenities, similar housing prices. Downtown W-S is a bit more lively at the moment, but G'boro is making strides in that area. Not sure that is important to you. Both cities have Catholic churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 07:37 PM
 
62 posts, read 51,933 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Bermuda Village is very nice, but it is a bit isolated in my opinion.
Really? In what way?

Three major chain grocers about 10 minutes away. Two small satellite hospitals (Wake, right up the road is about to begin construction on the multi-bed facility due to be complete in 2017) close by with more medical facilities locating nearby. Very close to Clemmons and Lewisville, with a number of eating amenities. And then there's Tanglewood, just across the river, which I would love to live next door to. Walking trails, dog parks, a seasonal swimming pool ... it's a lovely setting and definite plus. If you want the mega-shopping experience, Hanes Mall boulevard is about 20-30 minutes away, depending on traffic. The one thing I don't like about Bermuda Run is that ridiculous idea to put in a "calming" circle off the 158 entrance. I guess people will get used to it, though I hope word gets out to travelers who bring their RVs down that route with the intent to camp at Tanglewood. I would not want to try and pull a fifth wheel around that thing.

If a 55+ community isn't a priority, Kinderton is on the other side of I-40. The homes/condos there are situated to create walk-able access to Lowes Grocery and the other retail stores.

According to The Catholic Directory - Find Catholic Churches, Catholic Mass Times, Bulletins, and Contact Information there are a number of churches in Winston-Salem. I know there's one in Mocksville. It's small and I'm not sure how big the non-Hispanic membership is. The announcements on the church signs are usually in Spanish. But, it's in a very accessible spot. Being a heathen, I wouldn't know what to say about the religious communities in this area

https://www.forsyth.cc/parks/tanglewood/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,819,933 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinLuv View Post
Really? In what way?
Well, lets see, the median household income is about twice the area average, there's a bunch of $500,000+ houses, the "town" is basically built around a very upscale country club...its just a very nice, upscale, wealthy place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2015, 06:35 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,935,979 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinLuv View Post
Really? In what way?

Three major chain grocers about 10 minutes away. Two small satellite hospitals (Wake, right up the road is about to begin construction on the multi-bed facility due to be complete in 2017) close by with more medical facilities locating nearby. Very close to Clemmons and Lewisville, with a number of eating amenities. And then there's Tanglewood, just across the river, which I would love to live next door to. Walking trails, dog parks, a seasonal swimming pool ... it's a lovely setting and definite plus. If you want the mega-shopping experience, Hanes Mall boulevard is about 20-30 minutes away, depending on traffic. The one thing I don't like about Bermuda Run is that ridiculous idea to put in a "calming" circle off the 158 entrance. I guess people will get used to it, though I hope word gets out to travelers who bring their RVs down that route with the intent to camp at Tanglewood. I would not want to try and pull a fifth wheel around that thing.

If a 55+ community isn't a priority, Kinderton is on the other side of I-40. The homes/condos there are situated to create walk-able access to Lowes Grocery and the other retail stores.

According to The Catholic Directory - Find Catholic Churches, Catholic Mass Times, Bulletins, and Contact Information there are a number of churches in Winston-Salem. I know there's one in Mocksville. It's small and I'm not sure how big the non-Hispanic membership is. The announcements on the church signs are usually in Spanish. But, it's in a very accessible spot. Being a heathen, I wouldn't know what to say about the religious communities in this area

https://www.forsyth.cc/parks/tanglewood/
Totally agree...Bermuda Village is not isolated in any way. Being more expensive doesn't translate to isolation, so I'm not sure where he's coming from on that one. One of the Triad's best parks (Tanglewood) is a short walk away.

Holy Family is a couple of miles away in Clemmons. It is a fairly large (1000+) congregation. Holy Family Catholic Church*|*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2015, 05:51 AM
 
62 posts, read 51,933 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Well, lets see, the median household income is about twice the area average, there's a bunch of $500,000+ houses, the "town" is basically built around a very upscale country club...its just a very nice, upscale, wealthy place.
Nope. I've seen the older condos selling for 60-100k. One of them looks kind of inviting to us, it needs updating on the inside, but it is priced below 70k.

I know what you mean about the chi-chi houses. Driving by slowly and looking through the fence, the place at one time did resemble a comfortable middle-class neighborhood until it was taken over by the McMansion developers. There are some simple ranch and colonials at the front of the property. And Kinderton Village, across the road, is - surprisingly - not the upscale place I thought it would be. It appears that it's likely to become a health-centered business park. I had my colonoscopy at the Digestive Health Center (props to Dr Weeks, he comes highly recommended).

If not Bermuda Village, then I suggest that the op check out the condo village directly across the road from Tanglewood. Again, reasonable prices. There is one condo (second floor or we'd be checking it out) that is listed in the 80s. Thing is, once you cross the river into Forsyth County? Zoooom, go the property taxes. I think that's why most of the development has gone on in Davie County.

Bermuda Run grew into a rich person's domain, but there are older parts that are still listed within the means of not-rich folks. And there is housing nearby that won't drain your wallet like a thirsty vampire.

Last edited by ChinLuv; 10-25-2015 at 06:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2015, 02:33 PM
 
Location: NC High Country
3,867 posts, read 6,669,609 times
Reputation: 3829
I agree that within Bermuda Run, and Bermuda Village, there is a broad range of housing - types, age, and pricing. I don't think of it as isolated at all. It's very close to Clemmons, and an easy drive to Winston-Salem. To the OP, I think Bermuda Run/Village should definitely be on your short list when you come for your visit.

From Bermuda Village's website:
Housing Options at Bermuda Village
We have numerous floor plans and housing options to fit every retirement budget. Prices of our condominiums range from $75,000 to $230,000, while our villas are priced from $99,000 to $430,000.

I do agree with carolinadawg2 that both W-S and G'boro are very similar cities. I don't have any specific recommendations for 55+ communities in G'boro only because I'm not as familiar with that aspect of G'boro as I am W-S. I'm sure there are several nice ones from which to choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2015, 08:17 PM
 
7,279 posts, read 13,536,833 times
Reputation: 3610
Is Bermuda Run isolated? I don't think isolated is the right word, but I get where carolinadawg is coming from. It all depends on what you're looking for in terms of amenities and how close is "close" in your opinion. There are quite a few things, from movie theaters to a wide selection of restaurants to live entertainment, that you'd have to drive 15-30 minutes for. If you (a) don't care about those things or (b) don't think 15-30 minutes is a big deal, there's no issue.

Personally, I would feel a bit tucked away if I were out in BR, but I get the appeal. It's pretty country, it's safe, and some of the amenities that are there (Tanglewood, for example) are fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top