U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:58 PM

113 posts, read 87,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
When the beginning of the article starts out with stupidity it's hard to take the rest of it seriously. I know driving while black is a real thing (I've experienced it), but that case was not it. Expired plates is a real thing and something anyone would be pulled over for, so that doesn't fit the bill.
I think if you're reading that narrative as "this man had expired plates but the REAL reason he was pulled over was because he was black" then you're missing the point. From the article:

"Two police officers pulled them over for minor infractions that included expired plates and failing to hang a flag from a load of scrap metal in the pickupís bed. But what happened next was nothing like a routine traffic stop."

The key phrase here and what makes this more than simply a random stop is the "what happened next" part. If you went on to read, then you'll know the young man ended up tased, snatched out of the car and dragged....over what began as a crime as heinous as driving with expired plates. That's upsetting to me. It's interesting that WASN'T the part that upset you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The local news covered this same story last week and elaborated the percentage of illegal narcotics or firearms found on black drivers was 21% to 27% of white drivers. Lets be honest, that's not a huge margin.
That's one of the more damning statistics in the article. Even though searches of white individuals yield greater results, officers are still TWICE as a likely to search blacks.

"Since 2010, officers searched blacks more than twice as often but found contraband only 21 percent of the time, compared with 27 percent of the time with whites.The same gap prevailed when officers cited probable cause to search without permission. Officers searched blacks at more than twice the rate of whites, but found contraband only 52 percent of the time, compared with 62 percent of the time when the driver was white."

Old 11-03-2015, 12:14 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
I think if you're reading that narrative as "this man had expired plates but the REAL reason he was pulled over was because he was black" then you're missing the point. From the article:

"Two police officers pulled them over for minor infractions that included expired plates and failing to hang a flag from a load of scrap metal in the pickupís bed. But what happened next was nothing like a routine traffic stop."

The key phrase here and what makes this more than simply a random stop is the "what happened next" part. If you went on to read, then you'll know the young man ended up tased, snatched out of the car and dragged....over what began as a crime as heinous as driving with expired plates. That's upsetting to me. It's interesting that WASN'T the part that upset you.
But "driving while black" is considered being pulled over for no other reason that being black. This was not a case of driving while black.

It doesn't upset me at all because I wasn't there and don't know what did or did not happen. Every situation is different, and we will never know if there was a reason for the young man to be tased or not. In a lot of these situations the actions are warranted...when I was stopped for what I consider "driving while black" I was completely compliant with everything I was told to do. I think (99% of the time) if we act with a sense of responsibility and respect for each other there is very little chance of something going wrong.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:11 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,304,056 times
Quote:
But "driving while black" is considered being pulled over for no other reason that being black. This was not a case of driving while black.

It doesn't upset me at all because I wasn't there and don't know what did or did not happen. Every situation is different, and we will never know if there was a reason for the young man to be tased or not. In a lot of these situations the actions are warranted...when I was stopped for what I consider "driving while black" I was completely compliant with everything I was told to do. I think (99% of the time) if we act with a sense of responsibility and respect for each other there is very little chance of something going wrong.
Agreed, I keep my mouth shut and only answer when asked. Why? Because he has a gun which, is not the time to get belligerent. Call me a coward or an Uncle Tom but I value my life way too much to lose it over a traffic stop.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:

I think you're too fixated on the term that you're not thinking critically. The article doesn't just stop with who gets pulled over, it goes into what happens AFTER they're pulled over as well (this part is too important to just disregard) The statistic I quoted in my earlier post for example where black drivers are twice as likely to be searched than white drivers even though the data shows whites are found with contraband more often. I get that you don't like the first narrative, but its really just a snapshot of the type of thing black drivers deal with as evidenced by the stats which show a clear negative bias against african americans. That's really the focus of the article which, by the way, is pretty interesting. I hope you go back and read it (with an open mind).

Old 11-03-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:

when I was stopped for what I consider "driving while black" I was completely compliant with everything I was told to do. I think (99% of the time) if we act with a sense of responsibility and respect for each other there is very little chance of something going wrong.
This is sound advice and I tell then young people I mentor the same thing. But I want to be careful that we're not blaming victims here also. A woman can dress provocatively and have a bit too much to drink at a party but if she gets raped, the fault still belongs to the rapist. Being rude isn't a good idea but it's also not against the law. I want to be careful we're not giving bad policing a pass just because individuals aren't always polite.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:43 PM

774 posts, read 1,614,760 times
Default Why the Denial?

This article is kind of surprising.
I've only lived in North Carolina for two years, and I'm delighted to find that I've never felt targeted by the police.

BUT... I'm old. Blacks from late teens to mid-40s are more likely to targeted.
Still, from what I've seen so far, police in the Triad and the Triangle seem to be pretty wise in how they conduct themselves.

Expired license plates? Not a big deal. LOTS of that going on. Not having a red flag for the overhanging load would be more of an issue.

But the comments continue to evoke a puzzled laughter from me.

HOW IN THE WORLD IS ANYONE GOING TO DENY RACISM ... IN THE AMERICAN SOUTH??!!

You have to be mentally disordered .... with nothing to do except find a reason to lash out someone to deny racism exists. The group, "Anonymous" just published the first series of names of politicians who are KKK members. Mt. Airy--old Andy Griffith's town-- is reported to be a hot bed of Skin Head groups and meth mills.

The main issue in this thread for me... is that with all the many problems we have in he United States ... problems that pit people against each other (race, class economics, and gender), will never be solved as long as emotionally constipated people are too afraid to admit they exists .... let alone talk about them... and heaven forbid, work to solve them.

It's like trying to sit down with a group of mentally ill people in the locked ward, and asking them--as a committee-- to come up with an inexpensive, rational cure for cancer.

((LOL))
Oh boy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point