U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-24-2015, 11:25 AM
 
2,361 posts, read 2,661,411 times
Reputation: 2298

Advertisements

Anyone want to argue the rest of the state is not the same?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/us...lack.html?_r=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2015, 06:31 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,929,047 times
Reputation: 4077
Expired plates is not a minor infraction, so the beginning of the article made the whole thing a little suspect. When I hear "driving while black" I assume it means being pulled over for something as minor as not using a turn signal or an illegal lane change (which I have been stopped for). Expired plates will get any color person pulled over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2015, 06:13 AM
 
Location: The Emerald City
1,486 posts, read 1,696,911 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Expired plates is not a minor infraction, so the beginning of the article made the whole thing a little suspect. When I hear "driving while black" I assume it means being pulled over for something as minor as not using a turn signal or an illegal lane change (which I have been stopped for). Expired plates will get any color person pulled over.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2015, 12:36 PM
 
113 posts, read 88,139 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Expired plates is not a minor infraction, so the beginning of the article made the whole thing a little suspect. When I hear "driving while black" I assume it means being pulled over for something as minor as not using a turn signal or an illegal lane change (which I have been stopped for). Expired plates will get any color person pulled over.
Was this your only take away from the article (serious question)? I'm not negating your point but the article gives some very troubling statistics which sadly don't come as a shock. DWB IS a real thing. Its something black men nationwide discuss often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2015, 04:32 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,311,001 times
Reputation: 8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Anyone want to argue the rest of the state is not the same?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/us...lack.html?_r=1
It could be argued because of the selective use of Greensboro's statistics. If the disparities were as bad across the state as claimed the comprehensive data from NC should have been used in the article for comparison- it wasn't.
When I see drugs and weapons are more likely to be found in possession by white motorists does this stat distinguish between legal and illegal weapons? If a cop pulls me over the officer will be advised that I have a firearm in my possession and I will provide the permit to prove legality.
Furthermore the idiot most likely was tased because he made a sudden movement. You don't do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2015, 08:45 PM
 
7,278 posts, read 13,529,272 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Anyone want to argue the rest of the state is not the same?
From the article:

Quote:
Those same disparities were found across North Carolina, the state that collects the most detailed data on traffic stops. And at least some of them showed up in the six other states that collect comprehensive traffic-stop statistics.
Greensboro has its issues, but the article seems to support your idea, and I would take your point one step further. The reason this study focused on NC is because NC keeps extensive records on vehicle stops and searches. I'd wager that if other areas were as detailed in their record-keeping as NC, we'd see these disparities arise in communities all across the country, unfortunately. To disparage Greensboro or NC based on these findings is to miss the point of the article and the study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 01:34 AM
 
84 posts, read 191,277 times
Reputation: 50
From what i've heard, Winston and Durham are worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2015, 12:31 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,929,047 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
Was this your only take away from the article (serious question)? I'm not negating your point but the article gives some very troubling statistics which sadly don't come as a shock. DWB IS a real thing. Its something black men nationwide discuss often.
When the beginning of the article starts out with stupidity it's hard to take the rest of it seriously. I know driving while black is a real thing (I've experienced it), but that case was not it. Expired plates is a real thing and something anyone would be pulled over for, so that doesn't fit the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2015, 12:32 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,929,047 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by arstal View Post
From what i've heard, Winston and Durham are worse.
I've never had in a trouble in W-S...I imagine it would be very similar to Greensboro and so would Durham.

The problem I have is that some people want to blame DWB on every traffic stop, but when you have expired plates or some other pretty serious offense you are probably going to get stopped and shouldn't try to blame it on race. There are a lot of situations racial bias is a problem but there are also a lot where people try to blame it on race when that isn't the case. It's hard to tell the real situations from the fake ones where someone is just trying to get out of an offense. It's too bad some people try to use it to their advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 06:35 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,311,001 times
Reputation: 8896
The local news covered this same story last week and elaborated the percentage of illegal narcotics or firearms found on black drivers was 21% to 27% of white drivers. Lets be honest, that's not a huge margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top