U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 3,556 times

Advertisements

I've been accepted to grad school at Wake Forest and will be starting in the summer of 2016. I'll be moving down in the spring with my wife (a nurse) and (then) 3 year old son. Ideally we'd like a stand alone house or a townhouse versus an apartment.

The problem is, WS has so many options for great housing at affordable prices, it's a bit overwhelming. Could anyone give any recommendations on good neighborhoods to help us narrow down our search, and also some neighborhoods to avoid? Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 02:28 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,821,112 times
Depending on exactly what type of neighborhood you want, look at Mt. Tabor, Sherwood Forest, Ardmore, West End, Clemmons and Lewisville. Generally the areas to the west and northwest of downtown are nice.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:41 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,670,872 times
Which grad school? Medical or main campus?

Old 10-28-2015, 04:06 PM

The medical campus on vine st.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:32 PM

7,279 posts, read 13,538,196 times
Ardmore's a good choice. Lots of good little rentals for a young family. Park space. Convenient to everything. Plenty of older neighborhood character. If your wife will be at one of the hospitals, it will be extraordinarily convenient for her, and you'll have a short trip as well. The elementary schools in Ardmore are decent, but depending on where you are, they're arguably not among the district's best. However, by the time that becomes an issue for you, you'll have a bead on where in town you want to be.

Ardmore's a pretty big area, but for my money, I'd want to be (roughly) south of Queen, west of Knollwood, north of Hawthorne (until Hawthorne curves northeast-ward. Then I'd say north of Ardsley) and east of, say, Gales or Brent. And of course those are purely subjective boundaries.

West End is another good close-in option, though there aren't as many affordable single family homes. Sherwood Forest and Mt. Tabor areas are fantastic if you're looking to buy and stick around a while, but I don't know how many rentals there are. And again this is purely subjective, but Clemmons and Lewisville are great if you're putting down roots and want a more suburban option, but they wouldn't be my first stop while I was trying to learn the area.

Another good option, though, is the area south of Country Club, east of Silas Creek and north of Business-40. There are some nice little rentals in that area and there's a park. It's convenient to the rest of town.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:53 AM

2,653 posts, read 6,095,327 times
Good recommendations above. I would add that you might want to check out the Washington Park/Old Salem area downtown--very old neighborhoods that are going through a bit of a resurgence.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:22 AM

Thank you all for your advice and recommendations. UnderTheLiveOaks, thank you for providing such a narrow search area, it helped considerably.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc8404 View Post
Thank you all for your advice and recommendations. UnderTheLiveOaks, thank you for providing such a narrow search area, it helped considerably.
Good! Did you find what you needed?

Old 11-06-2015, 06:45 AM

We found several options. It's a little early to say the search is over, though.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc8404 View Post
We found several options. It's a little early to say the search is over, though.
Good to hear. Let us know if you need any further help in getting you sorted, and (a slightly early) welcome to Winston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or