U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:56 PM

33 posts, read 111,699 times

Advertisements

well now that I have had a chance to get some good feedback on Clemmons as a good town to live in terms of $$, schools and safety...now to the important stuff!! Will we be able to get good coffee??? (i.e. yes we are addicted to Starbucks) - but LOVE local independent coffee shops as well. AND we are sushi lovers. Will we be able to find both in Clemmons?
I read some old threads about possible locations in WS but wondered if anything new has come to town recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 09:15 PM

247 posts, read 916,673 times
There is a Starbucks in Clemmons. I'm not sure about sushi. There are lots are restaurants in the area.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:00 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,719,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopats View Post
well now that I have had a chance to get some good feedback on Clemmons as a good town to live in terms of $$, schools and safety...now to the important stuff!! Will we be able to get good coffee??? (i.e. yes we are addicted to Starbucks) - but LOVE local independent coffee shops as well. AND we are sushi lovers. Will we be able to find both in Clemmons?
I read some old threads about possible locations in WS but wondered if anything new has come to town recently.
Not sure about Sushi but there is a very good THAI place in Clemmons called "Chang Thai" in the Harris Teeter shopping Center across from Tanglewood Park.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:41 PM

779 posts, read 2,931,927 times
I'm an avid sushi lover - we don't live in NC *yet* - so I am really curious to see the answer to this question!

Old 02-01-2008, 06:48 PM

Thumbs up Sushi World Guide

Okay, here is what I've found off the Sushi World Guide website: (4 for Greensboro)

1. Arigato Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar 1200 S. Holden, Greensboro, NC
Phone:
(336) 299-1003
Reviews: "Arigato is the best sushi I have ever tasted. The fish is always extremely fresh, the portions are enormous, and the price is the cheapest I have seen in N.C. The sushi chef there is a pleasent gentleman who will make special orders. They have a very diverse menu, including many specialty rolls. The only drawback is you may have to wait to eat since they only have one chef and can handle only small numbers at the sushi bar. Make sure you order Tuna, it is the best!"

" I went back to Arigato last week and got very sick !!! Cannot endorse the restaurant like I did before! While price and portions are still nice, the illness is what I most remember."

2. Name:Asahi Japanese Steak House
Address:4520-B West Market Street, Greensboro, NC 27407 Phone:(336) 855-8883

3. Name:Kabuto Japanese Steak House
Address:1617 Stanley Road, Greensboro, NC 27407
Phone:
(336) 852-5550 Reviews:"Excellent choice of food from sushi menu."
[- E. DeBerry (ades2u@yahoo.com) [August 22nd 2000]

"First I must explain I'm a long time Kabuto fan and took my Christmas guests there for her birthday as a special occasion. We arrived at 7:30 with an estimated 45 minute wait. The restaurant waiting area was packed. The problem we quickly learned was not enough Hibachi chef's for the turn out. We only had a party of five but it still took us an hour and a half to be seated... When I complained, the girl taking name told me she was the manager that night and there was nothing she could do to help us. We did get the 'head' chef finally, but he did nothing in regards to a show, not even the flaming onion volcano. Food was good, but quantity was very small. I felt bad for the poor wait staff or I would not have tipped at all. After paying our $200.00 tab, we finally left at 10:30 after 3 hours of torture, angry and disappointed. I hope the owners or real managers read this and fire the responsible people for 12-27-2004 management, or lack of. You probably had a very profitable night, but the long term affect will come back to damage your reputation."
- [Dec 31st 2004]

4. Name:Sushi Republic
Address:423 Tate Street, Greensboro, NC 27403 [
Phone:(336) 330- 9677
Review:
"Used to be Sushi 101 and they have moved to a larger building on the same street. Excellent. Their sushi is always very fresh, and they are relatively quick for being located near a college campus. Prices are reasonable, can get a bit pricier for dinners, it is so worth it though. "
- J. Baker (jlbakerart7@triad.rr.com) [Sep 26th 2007]

When I'm going to visit a new town on vacation, or for whatever reason, I always check my SW Guide!

The Sushi World Guide - all listed Countries and Cities

Good luck!
~ Angie

(not affiliated with any sushi places, except for being a connoisseur.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:37 AM

Thumbs up Using Google Earth

Anyone else care to post? I know there are more sushi places there! Gopats: if you have Google Earth, go to Greensboro and just type in "sushi" in the search and it will provide you with all the sushi places there Google knows of.

Google Earth The download and program are completely FREE and my gosh I cannot tell you how much wonderful information about areas I have derived from this program!!

When moving to a new area you can type in things like:
* Harris Teeter
* Blockbuster
* Gas
* Barnes & Noble, or bookstore (my hubby works at one)

There are also special inclusion buttons for things like topographical info, shopping, dining, gas stations, etc. I LOVE this program!!! Can you tell?

Old 02-03-2008, 10:47 AM

33 posts, read 111,699 times
thanks for allll of your help!!! Can't live w/ out a sushi fix!

Old 02-03-2008, 10:55 AM

Me either! It's truly like a drug for me! NO kidding. It's the cleanest, most wonderful food on this planet if you ask me, and a few weeks will go by and something will get in my head - I mus have sushi today. It feels kinda painful. Alas, I have learned out of necessity how to make it myself. I do a pretty good job.

But I'm sure, like you, I could never move to a town that didn't have sushi. Just wouldn't happen to me, I wouldn't let it! When are you going to be moving to the area? We thought we were going in about 6-8 months, looks like it might be as early as 6-7 *weeks* for us! In that case, we must have some sushi together. I can't help but enjoy the company of a fellow connoisseur.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,073 times
Default sushi and coffee in Winston

coffee-- You have to try Roche Coffee on Hawthorne Rd in Ardmore. The owners know a lot about coffee, and are super-friendly. They have yummy scones and cookies too.

sushi-- Haven't had a lot that I love in this area compared with DC or Atlanta (but maybe I should try some listed here), but Miyako (sp?) which is south on Peters Creek Parkway (pass the New Walmart, in the shopping center with Lowes foods) impressed us. Some of their soups are really good too.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:12 AM

93 posts, read 318,464 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. if I were to get sushi in forsyth county I would go Ishi on stratford road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point