Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 07:20 AM

774 posts, read 1,852,027 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to all of Durham and Greensboro's public libraries, but in today's world, public libraries often now serve as places where the homeless can get out of the weather--and that's a good thing-- but some of them are plagued with mental health issues and they chatter a lot.

Others are designed to assist school children... another GOOD thing... but the little "darlings" can be distracting too.

With all these colleges and universities, is there a reasonably quiet library designed to stimulate learning, that one can enter without showing an I.D. card?

I'm not talking about checking out books... just studying.
Can people name a couple in Durham and a couple in the Greensboro and W-S area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:23 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,341,033 times
You might have some luck at the state schools.

You don't need to show ID to enter UNCG's library, and I believe you can even check out materials if you join their Friends of the Library organization (which is something like $25/yr). UNCSA (which has a beautiful new library) has a similar setup for local residents (I think the join fee is $15). I haven't used WSSU or A&T, but looking at their websites, WSSU has a Friends of the Library organization, but entrance and borrowing privileges aren't clearly outlined. A&T's library site says they lend to the public, but only with a letter from the public library letting A&T know that the visitor needs materials that aren't available at the public library. I'm not sure about entrance privileges.

Last edited by UnderTheLiveOaks; 12-01-2015 at 08:39 AM..

Old 12-01-2015, 08:46 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,864,667 times
When I lived Greensboro nobody ever bothered me in the public library, the one off new garden is quieter and to me in a more serene environment though. You can check out either UNCG or A&T after all it's 24 hours you don't need ID(I'm guessing you're talking about a student ID) to get in, heck you don't need any ID to get in to any library, you should be able to either go to the front desk if you need access to either the computers or if the guess log in to use the wifi.

Same thing with Durham, you can hit up multiple spots if you are looking for a quiet place to study, either Duke, Central, the public libraries have always been quiet when I've stopped by.

Since your location is Durham, why not just travel(really don't have to since there are multiple places right in Durham heck you can go to letters downtown or even the lobby area of the tobacco campus) up the road to Cary which is closer versus going to GBoro or Winston? Durham has a public library on 54 right before 55. heading up 55 towards cary maybe about 10 to 15 minutes you can go to Western Wake Library off of Morrisville Parkway.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:44 PM

774 posts, read 1,852,027 times
Default thank you

EXCELLENT ... both of you (drrckmtthws and UnderTheLiveOaks).
Big thanks. You've given me a lot.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:33 AM

149 posts, read 249,834 times
Ditto on Kathleen Clay (off New Garden). It has two wings...kids are one wing, adult stuff is on the other. It's pretty quiet. And there are rooms that you can use for complete quiet.

Parking is easy and free...

Parking is the problem with most college libraries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point