U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2015, 09:17 PM

120 posts, read 75,424 times

Advertisements

I live in a suburb of Indianapolis and am considering moving to NC. I am considering Winston Salem and Charlotte. My main considerations in somewhat a priority order are

Milder winter. Prefer having to drive to work very less in snow. Prefer warmer and shorter winters than what I am used to in Central Indiana.

Scenery. I understand Winston Salem is near to nice rolling hills and mountains. Is that the same for Charlotte? I ride a motorcycle so I would like to enjoy some nice backroads and scenic roads nearby.

Good, safe neighborhoods. Low crime areas. I am not into shopping and do not need glitzy neighborhood bars or restaurants. But a nice variety of dining options will be good. Also I would like a downtown with character, from what I read WS scores good here. I do not have kids and hence I am not worried about quality of school districts.

Area attractions. I would like to be in driving distance to nice attractions like relaxing parks, State parks, mountains, historic sites, waterfalls etc. I enjoy being outdoors enjoying nature and traveling on scenic roads.

Moderate cost of living equal to or lower than Indianapolis. Would be nice to rent a home or apartment preferably with garage in a safe neighborhood initially. What would the rents be normally in these cities for a 1 or 2 BR?

I work in the Tech industry. I understand Charlotte has more jobs. Is the job situation in WS stable and decently good? I have a job already which maybe able to transfer me to these cities. Wanted to clarify why I placed the job question lower in the priority list.

Another question I have is about cultural acceptance. I am a single Asian male in my 30s. I would like to be in a city where neighbors would be open and accepting of other races. Definitely want to make local friends.

I have researched the city comparisons for climate, housing costs etc. but would love to hear opinions from those who actually live in these cities or even someone who has lived in Central Indiana also.

I would like to get opinions and comparisons so I can decide between the two cities. Any comparisons to Indianapolis will also be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by cityb1; 11-14-2015 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 05:38 AM

2,904 posts, read 2,009,925 times
Between Winston-Salem and Charlotte, I would offer the following based on your questions:

-Both Winston-Salem and Charlotte are going to have a somewhat milder winter than Indianapolis. We get snow a few times a year typically, but the biggest headache is the freezing rain and ice, since both areas seem to be in the zone that is a little too cold for just snow and a little too warm for just rain when those winter storm systems come through. Charlotte may be a little milder, but there's not a dramatic difference.

-Both Winston-Salem and Charlotte have good, safe neighborhoods, whether you're looking for a neighborhood close to downtown or in a more suburban setting. Your money will go a little bit further in Winston-Salem for housing costs, since Charlotte's in a "hot" market right now, and its prices have gotten a little more inflated than Winston-Salem. Winston Salem's cost of living is a little cheaper, not dramatically, but you would notice this the most in housing prices.

-In terms of scenery, I would give Winston-Salem the edge. The Charlotte metro has some scenic areas, but you have to drive further to see them, since about a 30 minute radius outside of Charlotte has been gobbled up by the business of suburbia. Winston-Salem has access to various state parks (Hanging Rock, Pilot Mountain), and its location closer to the mountains (30 minutes to Pilot Mountain, and about an hour and a half to the higher mountains- which are more consistent and noticeably cooler in the summertime) makes it more scenic. Even inside the city, it has a different feel than much of Charlotte, which seems much busier, and has more emphasis on flashy, new buildings and trendiness than scenery.

-As far as cultural acceptance, that's a harder question to answer without experiencing this firsthand as an Asian person, but I don't think (and would hope) you wouldn't have too difficult of a time in either place. Charlotte has a much larger Asian population, but Winston-Salem has a well respected private University (Wake Forest) and medical school, the NC School of the Arts, and other cosmopolitan features that are going to draw people of different races who weren't born in the area. Fitting in may be more difficult in some of the exurban/rural areas in the region since they're much less diverse than either Winston-Salem or Charlotte proper, but in casual day-to-day interactions, most people are going to have a respectful attitude to people who are respectful. Sometimes it's also hit or miss in terms of who your neighbors are and what their attitudes are, but I would think this would also be the case in Indianapolis.

I'm not terribly familiar with Indianapolis, but it seems somewhat comparable to Charlotte in terms of its size, pace of life, etc. Winston-Salem is somewhat smaller and slower paced, but it's doubtful you would experience the same culture shock in terms of pace of life and fit if you were coming from NYC, LA, Chicago, San Francisco, etc.
If you can, I would plan a trip here, because you may pick up a different vibe than what seems good on "paper." I know even in the Triad (which is what the Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point area is called), there are some places that have a great reputation (that people rave about here on City Data) that I don't particularly care for and some that don't look as good from a statistical standpoint, in terms of socioeconomic factors, that have a better feel to me.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:19 AM

Thank you Jowel for your response.

City data comparison shows WS getting 3 times the snow compared to Charlotte. Is that correct? Are winters mild enough and do businesses close down on those ice rain days? How many such days occur each winter when it is considered dangerous to drive?

Old 11-15-2015, 03:19 PM

2,904 posts, read 2,009,925 times
Winston Salem does get more snow than Charlotte, but both can get the freezing rain mess, which is often layered with snow. That's what causes the havoc with power outages. Unlike schools, which close or delay for small snow flurries, businesses typically stay open except if the ice storms make the roads virtually impassible. This doesn't really happen all winter, but it can happen a few (typically 5 or less) days a year. It all depends on the annual weather pattern and what the jet stream, moisture, and major weather systems are doing. There isn't as much snow as Indianapolis, though, or the Midwest.

I realized I didn't answer your question about rents for a 1-2 bedroom in Charlotte vs. Winston-Salem. This is a very rough estimate, but for what $600 a month buys in Winston-Salem (for a 1 BR), I would figure on $800-$900 in Charlotte. A 2 BR for $800 a month in WS would be $1000-$1100 in Charlotte. This of course will vary depending on whether you're looking at an apartment, condo, or house, the type of amenities it has, the neighborhood, etc. Housing costs have also been increasing faster in Charlotte. You may want to check on Zillow or a similar website and just do a search for rental properties to get an idea of what you'd get for your money.

Last edited by Jowel; 11-15-2015 at 03:29 PM..

Old 11-20-2015, 12:40 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityb1 View Post

City data comparison shows WS getting 3 times the snow compared to Charlotte. Is that correct? Are winters mild enough and do businesses close down on those ice rain days? How many such days occur each winter when it is considered dangerous to drive?

Winston-Salem does often get snow when Charlotte doesn't, but it's no more than 4-5 times a year at most. Businesses close anywhere when there is an ice storm...it's not just in the South. Ice is serious and, unlike snow, can easily cause accidents for the best driver. There are usually a handful of weather days for the schools, some of them warranted and some not. There aren't many days where businesses are actually closed...they might open late, but it has to be a BIG storm to close businesses. Schools will close far more quickly and for far less.

This just depends on if you want a large city vs a medium-sized city. Charlotte is about the same size as Indy, where Winston-Salem is about the size of Fort Wayne. Both are growing and changing, so either is a good option if you're just looking for a healthy city. I would visit both for a weekend to help decide...they are only about 45 minutes apart. Winston-Salem is more rolling hills and closer to mountains than Charlotte, but both are in close proximity to the Appalachians.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:05 PM

Thank you all for the inputs. Based on your responses I am not worried about the WS winters now. Now time to work with my employer for a position in one of those cities.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:14 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,875,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityb1 View Post

The North Carolina Atlas: Portrait for a New Century (Hardcover) - Overstock Shopping - Great Deals on American History

If you are looking at North Carolina as a place to move check out this book. It is a wealth of information. Try to get the latest edition. I used to spend hours looking through this book in the reference section of the library. You may find it online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or