Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 09:08 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times

Advertisements

I see that they're "planning" to legalize growing hemp in North Carolina ... but is it already legal?

I hope so!
Hemp is an EXCELLENT cover crop and creates deep, rich, topsoil.

Hemp also has a large variety of other uses ... from rope to clothes.
Hemp doesn't have the high THC content that marijuana has, so in places throughout the Midwest where the government gave to farmers after the Dust Bowl, it still grows wild and is only referred to was, "ditch weed."

It could bring a ton of money into the state.
And why worry about marijuana use? From what I read, marijuana is already the drug of choice in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 11:57 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
It doesn't appear to be legal in NC yet. State Industrial Hemp Statutes

Additional info from Wikipedia:

Hemp was made illegal to grow without a permit in the U.S. under the Controlled Substances Act passed in 1970 because of its relation to marijuana, and any imported hemp products must meet a zero tolerance level. Some states have made the cultivation of industrial hemp legal, but farmers in North Dakota, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Oregon, California, Montana, West Virginia and Vermont have not yet begun to grow it because of resistance from the federal Drug Enforcement Administration. In 2013, after the legalization of marijuana in the state, several farmers in Colorado planted and harvested several acres of hemp, bringing in the first hemp crop in the United States in over half a century.Colorado, Vermont, California, and North Dakota have passed laws enabling hemp licensure. All four states are waiting for permission to grow hemp from the DEA. Currently, North Dakota representatives are pursuing legal measures to force DEA approval. Oregon has licensed industrial hemp as of August 2009. Congress included a provision in the Agricultural Act of 2014 that allowed colleges and state agencies to grow and conduct research on hemp in states where it is legal.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:40 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
From the News & Record, October 29, 2015:

"Farmers in North Carolina are likely to wake up Saturday morning with a new option for growing crops: Industrial hemp production is expected to become legal at the stroke of midnight.

Lawmakers passed the legalization legislation in September, in the final days of the session. The proposal hadn’t previously been made public, and some conservative groups worry that questions about the plant’s connections to its cousin, marijuana, didn’t get answered.

The bill has been on Gov. Pat McCrory’s desk for weeks, and unless he vetoes it, it will become law without his signature at midnight Friday."

Read more here: Industrial hemp poised to become NC

This also says its now legal:

Update: Industrial Hemp Cultivation Is Finally Legal In North Carolina | Marijuana

As does this:

Industrial Hemp legal in NC - Story | WJZY

Old 11-28-2015, 06:48 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
From the News & Record, October 29, 2015:
Thanks for the more up-to-date info than I provided. I guess I didn't look hard enough or google the right criteria.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
It one of the laws that can pass without governor signature. For now it will have to be grown on the Cherokee reservation due to it is still a control substance. Even though Hemp has little THC.

This state is ideal since Hemp can grow wherever tobacco can grow and this industry would help North Carolina be prosperous not only from farmers hemp sales but the industry that would follow including soap, rope, building materials, clothing etc.

Now if the person at 1600 Pennsylvania help declassifies it as a control substance.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It one of the laws that can pass without governor signature. For now it will have to be grown on the Cherokee reservation due to it is still a control substance. Even though Hemp has little THC.

This state is ideal since Hemp can grow wherever tobacco can grow and this industry would help North Carolina be prosperous not only from farmers hemp sales but the industry that would follow including soap, rope, building materials, clothing etc.

Now if the person at 1600 Pennsylvania help declassifies it as a control substance.
I don't think that is correct. From one of the stories cited above:

"On Saturday, Senate Bill 313 became law and it calls for a pilot program for the growing of hemp throughout the state."

The Cherokee are considering a study to possibly legalize marijuana:

http://www.wlos.com/news/features/to...l#.VlrpmVWrTnA

Old 11-29-2015, 10:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Cherokee was chosen for a reason since the reservation since it somewhat protected. The state for now is using them first in hopes deregulation happens, Kentucky passed the hurdles in 2012 another good growing hemp environment as the western Appalachians including the Cherokee Smokies would grow lush Hemp.
I hope since this state has the reservation we will be the first in production.
This is such good news and I hope hurdles come quickly.
I hate to say it, but I hope a politician would share the vision how this will create new manufacturing in some of the industries I mention above, to grow NC economy like tobacco did except even better due to the variety of uses for Hemp.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Cherokee was chosen for a reason since the reservation since it somewhat protected. The state for now is using them first in hopes deregulation happens, Kentucky passed the hurdles in 2012 another good growing hemp environment as the western Appalachians including the Cherokee Smokies would grow lush Hemp.
I hope since this state has the reservation we will be the first in production.
This is such good news and I hope hurdles come quickly.
I hate to say it, but I hope a politician would share the vision how this will create new manufacturing in some of the industries I mention above, to grow NC economy like tobacco did except even better due to the variety of uses for Hemp.
I can find no source to corroborate your assertion that hemp growing will be initially limited to the Cherokee reservation. Can you cite a source? I've read the actual bill passed by the general assembly, looked at the website of the NC industrial Hemp Association, and read numerous news articles. I will also note that a processing facility has been built near Rocky Mount, which is a long way from Cherokee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point