Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,020 times

Advertisements

Hello! Earlier this week my husband accepted a job in the Winston-Salem area, so I now begin the daunting task of trying to find a place for my family to live. I have three school-aged children - 6th, 5th, and 1st grade, and I need to choose a school system that's roughly within a 20-30 minute radius of my husband's new job, which is on Kimel Park Dr near Hanes mall. We want to rent a home in a more rural area, with a decent school system (doesn't have to be a 10/10, but I'm hoping for at least a 6). After studying the map of nearby areas, I'm thinking maybe around Clemmons? Lewisville? Somewhere south-ish. I heard Pfafftown is beautiful, but maybe a little too far from his work. My oldest is big into computers and my boys like track and basketball. I'm a veterinarian, and I eventually want to buy a place in the country where I can have chickens and goats. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I don't know this area at all! We'll be moving from Ohio.
Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 01:23 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,376,643 times
You're right on track. Clemmons and Lewisville are the best mix of good schools, slightly rural setting, and proximity to your husband's job. Pfafftown is indeed both beautiful and a bit far for what you're looking for.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:22 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,025,634 times
I wouldn't call Clemmons/Lewisville rural in any way...it's totally suburban. It's a good recommendation and you can find homes with larger yards, but Davie County/Advance might be a better option for a more rural setting. Davie County schools are pretty highly rated as well, especially on the northwestern side of the county near Clemmons - and it's just across the Yadkin River from Forsyth County plus is within your driving requirements to the Hanes Mall area.

Rental homes are not very common in Clemmons or Lewisville, so I don't know how successful you'll be at finding one. Not sure about Davie County either for rentals. Most home in the area are owner-occupied.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:56 PM

108 posts, read 131,645 times
Default advance

i was just getting ready to say look in advance. I just built a house in kinderton village in advance and i love being out in the middle of no where. I am still only 15 minutes from the mall and thruway.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:58 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,626,863 times
I work near the mall and we live in the Meadowlands subdivision just outside of Wallburg. I don't know your price range - most homes here are 2,500 to 4,000 sq ft and priced in the mid-$300s to low $400s. It's about a 20 minute drive from the mall area. However, if by "South-ish" you're referring to the general feel of the area, it might not be a good fit - a majority of the residents seem to be from other areas. We love Meadowlands - lower Davidson County taxes, good schools, very safe area.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,076 times
The Meadowlands is not the type of neighborhood for goats and chickens as the lots are generally less than .50 acre (although some are larger) and the HOA rules may not allow it. However, there are adjacent neighborhoods where this is common. If you buy in Davidson county have a radon test done. We're happy as it's safe, low taxes, great schools, and easy to commute to other places. In our experience, it's a mix of transplants and locals, families to retirees. Good luck.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:32 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,626,863 times
Yeah, I missed the goats and chickens part...that wouldn't be allowed in Meadowlands. But OP could definitely consider other areas in northeastern Davidson County - we have a new middle school and will have a new high school in fall 2017.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:30 PM

74 posts, read 139,971 times
I hear good things about Vienna Elementary, Jefferson Middle, and Reagan High School. I'm not certain if they are all in the same district, but I think that they are. Be sure to call the school board before you buy a house to be sure about what district you're in.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:35 PM

74 posts, read 139,971 times
Also check out Meadowlark Elementary and Middle School. You can read reviews of local schools on greatschools.org.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point