Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:36 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I forgot the name of the street, it is off of Elm or Eugene, headed north before you get to the Hospital. Just before you go under Wendover, it's a left turn at a stoplight, and both sides of the street are done in huge old Magnolias that overhang the roadway, in May when they are all in blossom, the street gets a lot of slow traffic, the fragrance is so strong it is almost intoxicating, if you follow the street around, and turn rt at intersection, it comes into the back way to the Dr's offices on Wendover, at the bottom of the hill below Hill Street. It is also a nice drive in Summer, it's shady. And, Yeah!! the Tate St. Festival is always a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM

799 posts, read 3,227,286 times
YES! Thanks yht!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 AM

799 posts, read 3,227,286 times
Thumbs up Love those Magnolias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Unfortunately I forgot the name of the street, it is off of Elm or Eugene, headed north before you get to the Hospital. Just before you go under Wendover, it's a left turn at a stoplight, and both sides of the street are done in huge old Magnolias that overhang the roadway, in May when they are all in blossom, the street gets a lot of slow traffic, the fragrance is so strong it is almost intoxicating, if you follow the street around, and turn rt at intersection, it comes into the back way to the Dr's offices on Wendover, at the bottom of the hill below Hill Street. It is also a nice drive in Summer, it's shady. And, Yeah!! the Tate St. Festival is always a good time.

That is one thing I do remember vividly about Greensboro was the Magnolias. On the UNCG campus there were some magnolias, it was May and already pretty warm, and the smell was absolutely mesmerizing. This is pretty important to me since I'm an "olfactioned girl" (hahaha! ) You make me want to be there right now.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times
Greensboro is a very nice up and coming city. Would like to see it in about 10 years!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:48 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,142 times
Greensboro is not to the level of Charlotte and Raleigh but the city is definately headed in the right direction and expect to see a dramatic change over the next 10 to 15 years.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Greensboro is not to the level of Charlotte and Raleigh but the city is definately headed in the right direction and expect to see a dramatic change over the next 10 to 15 years.
I think GSO is definately headed in the right direction. I would LOVE to see GSO in 10 years. I bet you will not recognize it from the growth.

Lets hope they don't make the same mistates Charlotte did.

GSO is VERY up and coming and mean that is a positive way!

I don't understand why so many people in GSO think that GSO is so much better than its neighbor Winston-Salem. You can't do anything in GSO that you can't do in Winston-Salem. Both are great up and coming cities. Winston-Salem is the wealthiest city in North & South Carolina per population...even beats Charlotte out!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:17 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I think GSO is definately headed in the right direction. I would LOVE to see GSO in 10 years. I bet you will not recognize it from the growth.

Lets hope they don't make the same mistates Charlotte did.

GSO is VERY up and coming and mean that is a positive way!

I don't understand why so many people in GSO think that GSO is so much better than its neighbor Winston-Salem. You can't do anything in GSO that you can't do in Winston-Salem. Both are great up and coming cities. Winston-Salem is the wealthiest city in North & South Carolina per population...even beats Charlotte out!
I think its the arrogance of being the larger city. Winston-Salem has 223,000 people. Greensboro will have about 255,000 by July 2008. Only 30,000 people seperate the two in population so they are reletively the same size. But Greensboro and Winston-Salem need to work together more instead of always competing against one another. But I agree. Expect to see great things from both cities in the next 10 to 20 years as the new FedEx hub opens next year. The hub isnt even open yet and it has already helped attract a Dell computer plant to Winston-Salem, the world headquarters and jet factory for Honda Aircraft Company in Greensboro and a Levano computer factory/distribution facility in Greensboro. Combine that with the interstate network, the college institutions and the research parks in Greensboro and Winston-Salem and the region has a great future . Some urban planners have even said Greensboro and the Triad has great potential, given its assets, to become the transportation hub of the Southeast. With I-40, I-85 and I-73 all intersecting in Greensboro. All three interstates are MAJOR artery interstates which connect Greensboro with Los Angeles via I-40. I-73 will directly connect Greensboro with Michigan. Then I-85 is a hotbed for growth. Then there is the future I-785 in Greensboro which could directly extend from Greensboro to Washington DC/Baltimore. We will see signifigant job growth in Greensboro and Winston-Salem over the next 20 years along with more large urban projects in the downtowns. A Charlotte developer is already moving forward with plans to build a high-rise luxury condo/boutique hotel tower in downtown Greensboro. He has found a piece of land and expects to close on it within 90 days. We really havent see to much of these kind of projects downtown with exception to the Center Pointe condo tower. We havent seen high-rise construction in downtown Greensboro since the late 80s.

Last edited by gsoboi; 02-14-2008 at 11:41 AM..

Old 02-16-2008, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 7,677 times
any dominican restauants in the greensboro area?

Old 02-20-2008, 09:10 AM

3 posts, read 34,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
Hi Miss Betty, thank you for your response!

When is a common time for street festivals? I know NC summers can be searing and humid, so I'm wondering if they tend to be more in late Autumn and early Spring? Where can I find out more information about calender events like this? Thanks you guys! You are AWESOME!!!!
There are LOTS of festivals throughout NC all year long. Here are some good websites: Southern Festivals-List your Festival; North Carolina Association of Festivals and Events (NCAF&E); and Renaissance Festival Dot-Com Home. I have been to the renaissance near Charlotte and loved it! There is hippie atmosphere in many places - always in a college area of town and we have many colleges and universities in NC. Also there is usually a historic district such as the West End area in Winston-Salem. Another is the resort town of Black Mountain on I-40 in western NC. All you need to do it look around.
I have always lived in NC and am glad to answer your questions about it! It is a large state from the mountains to the coast, we do have it all!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 AM

4 posts, read 18,606 times
Talking from Asheboro, lived in Greensboro

I'm from Asheboro, have moved several places during my life, including Greensboro and LOVED it. Asheboro is only a 20 minute drive. Greensboro is pretty, has a nightlife, has museums and concerts, baseball, downtown shopping as well as your big mall and department stores. Only 3 hours to the mountains or the beach. Lots of parks, job opportunities, restaurants, etc. You really can't ask for more . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point