U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 10:46 PM

16 posts, read 15,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoAZ View Post
I grew up in Greensboro and have lived in the Phoenix, AZ, area for almost 4 years. Your experience in Florida in the winter is pretty close to what it's like in NC in the summer. There are a few days scattered around (not back to back) that hit 90 and above; those days feel muggy and uncomfortable, plus your shirt will be soaked if you stay outside for any amount of time. NC never gets as hot or uncomfortable as Texas or Florida. Those same 90 plus degree days in Texas and Florida are the norm, nearly everyday, for about 4 or 5 months. In Greensboro, there might be a half dozen or a dozen 90 plus degree days sprinkled around from about mid May until the end of September. In addition, there are so many trees in Greensboro that you're in the shade a lot of the time, unlike in Phoenix when it's 115 and you have the sun shinning down on you with no shade anywhere.

As far as places to live that fit your parameters, there's plenty within range. My favorite area is around Friendly Shopping Center, which has already been mentioned. If you're looking at a map, anywhere north of W. Market st, from downtown Greensboro all the way out of town, depending how rural you want to be, is generally full of good areas to look at. If you keep going west out of town you'll see Colfax and then Kernersville. There is barely anything in Colfax, but Kernersville is sort of a suburb of Winston and Greensboro with some of its own personality. Another popular area near Greensboro is the Oakridge and Summerfield area; both north and northwest of town. There are a lot of safe and affordable neighborhoods off Flemming Rd and Horse Pen Creek within range of good schools.

Thank you for the info as long as the humidity is something near FL or TX I think it's manageable. I looked at weather maps the other night and it seems the dew points for NC and Dallas TX are about the same in summer, ha except for TX that level of humidity goes for several more months. I'll also keep in mind all the areas you mentioned when looking for a place to live. I'm so excited to visit in a few months and see everything in person!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 07:39 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,926,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyWild View Post
Thank you for the info as long as the humidity is something near FL or TX I think it's manageable. I looked at weather maps the other night and it seems the dew points for NC and Dallas TX are about the same in summer, ha except for TX that level of humidity goes for several more months. I'll also keep in mind all the areas you mentioned when looking for a place to live. I'm so excited to visit in a few months and see everything in person!

That post above is not true at all...the humidity/temperature in the Triad is much lower than most any area of Florida or Texas. I feel sure most anyone who has experienced both would agree that humidity feels much higher there than in Greensboro. Houston, for instance, has 102 days each year over 90 degrees and an average summer humidity of above 90%. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Houston#Summer
The Triad averages 29 day above 90 degrees, Orlando 105, Gainesville 80, Tallahassee 91, and Jacksonville 80. Number of Days with Max Temperatures Equal to or Above 90F for Selected Cities in the Southeast | Southeast Regional Climate Center

The average annual humidity for Greensboro is 70 (83 morning, 52 afternoon). Average Humidity Levels for North Carolina - Current Results

For Houston it's 90 morning, 63 afternoon - a pretty large difference. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

For Orlando it's 90 morning, 55 afternoon, still a good bit higher than Greensboro. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-27-2016 at 07:08 AM..

Old 12-29-2015, 07:43 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,926,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Except that no one with any knowledge of NC would divide the state into 2 sections, geographically.
I don't understand the point of arguing this...you don't think anyone would ever have any reason to split the state into two halves for a discussion or otherwise? There are obviously lots of geographic areas of NC, but it was just a comment from an individual and not rocket science. Every comment isn't required to list each region of the state...if someone wanted to talk about NC as split into two sections then there are valid reasons for it - unless you are the fraction police. If they did, then GSO would be in the western half. It's done that way for high school championships.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 12-29-2015 at 08:00 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
That post above is not true at all...the humidity/temperature in the Triad is much lower than most any area of Florida or Texas. I feel sure most anyone who has experienced both would agree that humidity feels much higher there than in Greensboro. Houston, for instance, has 102 days each year over 90 degrees and an average summer humidity of above 90%. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Houston#Summer
The Triad averages 29 day above 90 degrees, Orlando 105, Gainesville 80, Tallahassee 91, and Jacksonville 80. Number of Days with Max Temperatures Equal to or Above 90F for Selected Cities in the Southeast | Southeast Regional Climate Center

The average annual humidity for Greensboro is 70 (83 morning, 52 afternoon). Average Humidity Levels for North Carolina - Current Results

For Houston it's 90 morning, 63 afternoon - a pretty large difference. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

For Orlando it's 90 morning, 55 afternoon, still a good bit higher than Greensboro. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Thank you for the comparison. I was just concerned because everything I saw about NC was it's great but sooooo humid. Just so many comments that made me think it was worse than anything I'd ever experienced. The Houston/Galveston visit is probably a good comparison. It was July, and I don't remember it being too bad until the day we left. Standing outside the airport in Houston it was hot as hell and humid to where we did feel soaked.

I guess it's all in perspective. Right now I'm in southern CA, 20 miles inland from the beaches, and it's pretty much high 80's up to 100's from April to mid-November. The kicker is most homes here don't have central air/heat. So when you get home from work and it's 96 degrees outside you're pretty miserable. And now that it's winter we're low 60's for the highs, low 40's/high 30's for the lows. So much fun without heat or A/C. Anyhow I'm more than willing to put up with 3-5 months of uncomfortable weather since I already do it for 7 months here. And really it's all in perspective; many friends love the heat and get so happy when it's 100. Me not so much

Last edited by Yac; 01-27-2016 at 07:08 AM..

Old 12-30-2015, 11:23 AM

10,401 posts, read 19,420,530 times
If the humidity is most likely to be the deal-breaker factor for you, don't come in March, as springtime weather can be among the most beautiful we have. Come in late July/early August.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:14 PM

54 posts, read 46,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I don't understand the point of arguing this...you don't think anyone would ever have any reason to split the state into two halves for a discussion or otherwise? There are obviously lots of geographic areas of NC, but it was just a comment from an individual and not rocket science. Every comment isn't required to list each region of the state...if someone wanted to talk about NC as split into two sections then there are valid reasons for it - unless you are the fraction police. If they did, then GSO would be in the western half. It's done that way for high school championships.
Do you think Mt. Mitchell and Greensboro are similar in respect to humidity and temperature? By dividing the state into 2 parts, the poster was essentially saying they are. There are huge geographic and topographic differences between the mountains and the piedmont...lumping them together in this particular case makes no sense.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:38 PM

8,548 posts, read 8,877,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyWild View Post
Thank you for the comparison. I was just concerned because everything I saw about NC was it's great but sooooo humid. Just so many comments that made me think it was worse than anything I'd ever experienced. The Houston/Galveston visit is probably a good comparison. It was July, and I don't remember it being too bad until the day we left. Standing outside the airport in Houston it was hot as hell and humid to where we did feel soaked.

I guess it's all in perspective. Right now I'm in southern CA, 20 miles inland from the beaches, and it's pretty much high 80's up to 100's from April to mid-November. The kicker is most homes here don't have central air/heat. So when you get home from work and it's 96 degrees outside you're pretty miserable. And now that it's winter we're low 60's for the highs, low 40's/high 30's for the lows. So much fun without heat or A/C. Anyhow I'm more than willing to put up with 3-5 months of uncomfortable weather since I already do it for 7 months here. And really it's all in perspective; many friends love the heat and get so happy when it's 100. Me not so much

Thought you were moving to Texas....lol

Old 12-30-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Thought you were moving to Texas....lol
Last time I checked people are allowed to change their mind...

Old 12-30-2015, 11:07 PM

10,685 posts, read 11,307,496 times
I don't find much difference in humidity in any areas of the state. It's humid in Greensboro, humid in the mountains (very), humid at the beach, but it's the TEMPERATURES that vary.

The hottest place in the state is the Sandhills and Fayetteville, SE NC area. It's always 2 or 3 degrees hotter there than anywhere else. Charlotte and Raleigh are pretty much on par and the Triad (Greensboro) is a couples of degrees cooler than either. In the winter there is often a break just outside Greensboro so that Greensboro will get snow, but in Raleigh it will be 35 and raining. The mountains are incredibly humid (parts of the Blue Ridge are considered a temperate rainforest), but they are much, much cooler than the rest of the state. Asheville is usually 10 degrees cooler than Raleigh, maybe 8-6 degrees cooler than Greensboro. Boone is 15-20 degrees cooler than Raleigh, 12-15 degrees cooler than Greensboro.

If you can handle Texas and Florida heat and humidity North Carolina heat and humidity should not be a problem. Many people who move here from other parts of the US seem to be surprised that it's hot in the South in the summer.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:08 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,695,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If you can handle Texas and Florida heat and humidity North Carolina heat and humidity should not be a problem. Many people who move here from other parts of the US seem to be surprised that it's hot in the South in the summer.
Which cracks me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or