U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,924 times

Advertisements

I am a Chinese moving to Greensboro from Los Angeles, and as many of you know LA is a place with many Asians. I have not experienced direct racism there but my friends tell me North Carolina has a lot of racism.
I have a senior in high school and I am afraid that I won't be able to make friends due to the lack of diversity there and racism. Should I be worried? Is it a friendly environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 09:56 AM

528 posts, read 451,772 times
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro actually has one of the most diverse campus populations in NC (I wouldn't be surprised if it were number one in the state). You can find people of all backgrounds, ethnicities, orientations, beliefs, etc. there. Outside of the UNCG area, Greensboro gets a little more homogenized (the south and east sides are more African-American whereas the west and north sides are more White--although it's not so bad as to call the city segregated). Overall racism is not a huge problem here anymore, although it certainly used to be in the not-so-distant past. People from different backgrounds mix fairly well for the most part. I don't think you'll have a problem. I live in the area and have several Asian (including Chinese) friends who like it here.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:22 AM

10,396 posts, read 19,409,569 times
It is true that there are MANY fewer Asians on the East Coast than on the West, ditto with Asian restaurants, etc. But, this doesn't always mean racism because there isn't a long history of entrenched racism against "Race X" like there was in the Southeast against the Black community. Do your friends who "tell you NC has a lot of racism" know firsthand, or are they just repeating stereotypes? It's amazing the number of things people moving here seem to believe because "somebody who knew somebody who knew somebody in NC" said such-and-such.

Also, the urban areas, such as Greensboro, are way more tolerant than rural areas. Also, whatever "stereotypes" people would have about Asians would tend to be positive. Finally, younger generations are generally more tolerant of differences in people than older, so a high school should be as open-minded as you would find.

In short, don't worry. Not that there won't be some jerks, but that's true everywhere.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:15 PM

54 posts, read 46,781 times
Greensboro is certainly no more racist than anywhere else, and in fact, is probably less so.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,471 times
Greensboro is one of the most diverse and integrated cities in the state. It is also a very young and liberal population within the downtown area. You should be just fine!

Old 12-31-2015, 07:08 AM

58 posts, read 77,779 times
Generally speaking, the racism that persists in North Carolina is not directed at Asians.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:39 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,920,800 times
The people of Greensboro are not more noticeably racist than anywhere else. Every city/state/country has racists and you may run into them here or there, but it's not something you should concern yourself with regarding moving to Greensboro. Someone is just giving you an old, tired stereotype of the South that isn't valid in 2015.

You seriously haven't ever experienced racism in LA? I find that surprising, no matter what the Asian population of the city. Of course racism isn't as prevalent toward Asians in the US as other races, but it still happens. You're lucky, because it certainly does exist in LA.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:00 PM

774 posts, read 1,614,367 times
Default You wouldn't be expected to play

As an Asian, you'll be able to slip right through the cultural games that's played here.
Yes, there's racism.. but like someone else has pointed out, it's not directed at Asians.

You wouldn't even be expected to participate in the superficial and hypocritical "religion" they have down here. Greensboro is growing ... but not as fast as Durham and Raleigh. Most of these folks have very "local" mind-sets and don't know what they don't know. They just have this LONG list of "Shoulds" that they expect OTHER people to comply to ... but not themselves.

There's a culture of voyeurism, and (malicious) gossip here. As a person of Asian decent, you wouldn't have to participate unless you wanted to. My suggestion is to strongly NOT join in and you'll enjoy your stay.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:21 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,920,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
As an Asian, you'll be able to slip right through the cultural games that's played here.
Yes, there's racism.. but like someone else has pointed out, it's not directed at Asians.

You wouldn't even be expected to participate in the superficial and hypocritical "religion" they have down here. Greensboro is growing ... but not as fast as Durham and Raleigh. Most of these folks have very "local" mind-sets and don't know what they don't know. They just have this LONG list of "Shoulds" that they expect OTHER people to comply to ... but not themselves.

There's a culture of voyeurism, and (malicious) gossip here. As a person of Asian decent, you wouldn't have to participate unless you wanted to. My suggestion is to strongly NOT join in and you'll enjoy your stay.

You obviously think that you know far more than you actually do. How in the world do you know what "people" expect or what kind of mind-set they have? You can't even know such things about the individuals you come in contact with, much the general population of a place. You're making wild generalizations about "people" and their daily lives when you don't know anything about them at all. These ridiculous claims sound much like the malicious gossip you accuse "people" of participating in.

It all comes down to the fact that human beings are basically the same no matter where they live in 2015. It's not the 1950s...the world is very connected today and "people" in Greensboro are not significantly different from "people" anywhere else in the U.S. The main difference is in individuals like the one above making crazy assumptions about how "people" are based on nothing more than conjecture. If the "people" this guy hangs out with are really the way he describes then he is hanging with the bottom of the barrel and should expand his horizons...he might find that "people" are actually not the way he imagines them to be.

I would hope that the OP doesn't pay any attention to that type of comment. I'm not sure where it's coming from, but it isn't based in reality.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:01 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,693,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You obviously think that you know far more than you actually do.

I would hope that the OP doesn't pay any attention to that type of comment. I'm not sure where it's coming from, but it isn't based in reality.
I hope so too. It's not reflective of the community at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point