U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2016, 03:25 PM
 
4 posts, read 3,694 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am going to be attending the School of Medicine but campus will be at 525 vine st when I join. The last year my rotations will more in likely be at the Medical center close by. I will look into the housing Thanks for all the help. I am just trying to keep it manageable for both of us as having to move in the next few years to a new place would be tough to swing while in school due to the lack of free time as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2016, 03:27 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,496 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Reputation: 32176
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantdavidson View Post
So I am going to be attending Wake Forest for graduate school
and the wife is going to be working in Greensboro.

...just want to know how harsh the commute will be.
At normal commuting hours the "harsh" issue is sun glare
from going almost due EAST in the AM and almost due WEST in the PM.
Every single day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2016, 03:42 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,926,424 times
Reputation: 4077
Where are you moving from? If you are coming from a larger city with heavy commuter traffic then you will be very pleased with rush hour in the Triad. If you are coming from a small town you might think it's bad. For the most part it's a breeze here...the worst you'll find is an accident that ties up traffic and you can often find out about those ahead of time. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 PM
 
7,278 posts, read 13,526,501 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantdavidson View Post
I am going to be attending the School of Medicine but campus will be at 525 vine st when I join. The last year my rotations will more in likely be at the Medical center close by. I will look into the housing Thanks for all the help. I am just trying to keep it manageable for both of us as having to move in the next few years to a new place would be tough to swing while in school due to the lack of free time as it is.
I don't know what your budget will be like, but there are great loft apartments near the new med school site. And from there, she'd be able to avoid most of the construction, plus most of the congestion through downtown WS. Problem is that most are pricey, and the area directly east of there across 52 isn't where you want to live. But there are some great complexes in old loft buildings now and I believe some more new construction on the way. Could be a good bet for you.

I make the commute every day from the west side of Winston to the west side of Greensboro and the stretch of b-40 through downtown Winston is the most reliably bottlenecked chunk of the drive. If her point A is east of that, she's starting in a good position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 04:02 AM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,810,855 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
I don't know what your budget will be like, but there are great loft apartments near the new med school site. And from there, she'd be able to avoid most of the construction, plus most of the congestion through downtown WS. Problem is that most are pricey, and the area directly east of there across 52 isn't where you want to live. But there are some great complexes in old loft buildings now and I believe some more new construction on the way. Could be a good bet for you.

I make the commute every day from the west side of Winston to the west side of Greensboro and the stretch of b-40 through downtown Winston is the most reliably bottlenecked chunk of the drive. If her point A is east of that, she's starting in a good position.
I'm not as sanguine as you concerning the lack of impact of the B-40 closing on the Innovation Quarter area. In fact, I view that as pretty much ground zero in this situation. A lot of the traffic currently on B-40 is going to get pushed off onto the adjoining downtown streets, plus all the traffic coming down 52 is going to be exiting at MLK and driving through downtown.

I guess you are suggesting someone leaving the IQ could just drive east on 4th or 5th, get on MLK and hop on B-40? I suppose that might work, but I can also see that area being virtually gridlocked in the mornings, too.

This is really an unprecedented project, and it will be interesting to see the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 07:00 AM
 
2,648 posts, read 6,086,746 times
Reputation: 3416
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
This is really an unprecedented project, and it will be interesting to see the consequences.
No doubt. As you well know, some of the downtown streets in W-S are quirky (e.g., the 1st St./4th St./Burke St. intersection, the Peter's Creek/1st St. intersection, W. 4th St. around Glade Court, etc.). Further, the streets that will likely become major arteries when Bus. 40 closes (such as 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th Streets) are full of traffic lights and short blocks that are not conducive to moving lots of traffic through. I guess people will have to adapt by leaving earlier in the morning and staying later in the evening to avoid the inevitable snarls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,810,855 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
No doubt. As you well know, some of the downtown streets in W-S are quirky (e.g., the 1st St./4th St./Burke St. intersection, the Peter's Creek/1st St. intersection, W. 4th St. around Glade Court, etc.). Further, the streets that will likely become major arteries when Bus. 40 closes (such as 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th Streets) are full of traffic lights and short blocks that are not conducive to moving lots of traffic through. I guess people will have to adapt by leaving earlier in the morning and staying later in the evening to avoid the inevitable snarls.
Thats a good point, and I wonder if some of the larger downtown employers will institute some kind of flex scheduling in order to dissipate the AM/PM rush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 07:50 AM
 
7,278 posts, read 13,526,501 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I'm not as sanguine as you concerning the lack of impact of the B-40 closing on the Innovation Quarter area. In fact, I view that as pretty much ground zero in this situation. A lot of the traffic currently on B-40 is going to get pushed off onto the adjoining downtown streets, plus all the traffic coming down 52 is going to be exiting at MLK and driving through downtown.

I guess you are suggesting someone leaving the IQ could just drive east on 4th or 5th, get on MLK and hop on B-40? I suppose that might work, but I can also see that area being virtually gridlocked in the mornings, too.

This is really an unprecedented project, and it will be interesting to see the consequences.
Yeah, what I'm saying is that someone who is already in the IQ area is in a much better position than someone who has to drive through or around the entire project. I figure if the main route (b-40) is closed and the alternate routes (I-40, 52 and some combination of larger-capacity surface streets like Coliseum, MLK, University, and Silas Creek Parkway) have way more than the usual traffic, you're better off entering that fray near the end. A lot of people whose destination was downtown will already have reached their destination, and those looking to totally avoid downtown will most likely be on I-40. Plus you'll have less than the usual eastbound traffic on B-40 once you do get on. Plus in the event that you do want to take 52 and I-40 for some reason, the Salem Creek Connector will make that easier, too.

It's true, we don't know what would happen, and I wouldn't call myself sanguine, per se. But I think trying to get to Greensboro from the IQ area will be easier than getting there from pretty much anywhere else in Winston you'd actually want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2016, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,810,855 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Yeah, what I'm saying is that someone who is already in the IQ area is in a much better position than someone who has to drive through or around the entire project. I figure if the main route (b-40) is closed and the alternate routes (I-40, 52 and some combination of larger-capacity surface streets like Coliseum, MLK, University, and Silas Creek Parkway) have way more than the usual traffic, you're better off entering that fray near the end. A lot of people whose destination was downtown will already have reached their destination, and those looking to totally avoid downtown will most likely be on I-40. Plus you'll have less than the usual eastbound traffic on B-40 once you do get on. Plus in the event that you do want to take 52 and I-40 for some reason, the Salem Creek Connector will make that easier, too.

It's true, we don't know what would happen, and I wouldn't call myself sanguine, per se. But I think trying to get to Greensboro from the IQ area will be easier than getting there from pretty much anywhere else in Winston you'd actually want to live.
Maybe, with the exception of Ardmore. You could take Miller to Silas Creek and get on I-40, and most likely skip the B-40 issue completely.

I just think all of downtown has a good chance to be a royal mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top