U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 3,695 times

Advertisements

So I am going to be attending Wake Forest for graduate school and the wife is going to be working in Greensboro. There is an apartment I like off 421 Business I-40 Hawthorne at main and just want to know how harsh the commute will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 10:17 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,813,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantdavidson View Post
So I am going to be attending Wake Forest for graduate school and the wife is going to be working in Greensboro. There is an apartment I like off 421 Hawthorne at main and just want to know how harsh the commute will be.
When you say 421, do you mean Business 40? And I'm not sure what you mean by "Hawthorne at Main", as Hawthorne Road and Main Street don't intersect. You should know that a 2 mile stretch of Business 40 in downtown W-S is going to shut down for 2 years in order to completely rebuild the road. The road is scheduled to close in about a year. It will make getting to G'boro from central W-S a real pain. Both Hawthorne Road and Main Street are in that general area, so you may want to look into this.

Home
NCDOT Preparing for Long Shutdown of Business 40 in Winston-Salem
NC DOT Moves Forth With Business 40 Improvement Project

Old 01-06-2016, 10:23 AM

How about commute from alaris village apartments in Winston salem to Greensboro as far as traffic

Old 01-06-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
How about commute from alaris village apartments in Winston salem to Greensboro as far as traffic
Where in W-S is Alaris Village? Where in G'boro is the work site?

In general, the commute between W-S and G'boro isn't that bad; it can range from 30 to 60 minutes depending on exact locations, traffic conditions, etc. Its certainly quite doable. One option is to live in Kernersville, which is close to halfway in between. And with the caveat that the closing of B-40 is a wild card.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:40 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,529,272 times
Alaris looks to be not too far from the WFU campus, so that's great for you if you're going to be on the main campus. And from there you're theoretically talking about 40-45 minutes or so to downtown Greensboro. So if she's west of downtown, less than that. And that location shouldn't be directly affected by the biz-40 shutdown, as you'd take 52 and enter b-40 to the east of the construction zone.

I tend to be in the camp that recommends either Greensboro or Winston, rather than the suburbs of either, but you might want to look into Kernersville and carolinadawg suggested. Alaris looks to be a fairly standard suburban complex, so it's not like you'd be in the heart of WS anyway, and that way you'd each have a 15-20 min commute rather than her spending 1.5-2 hours on the road every day, round trip.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:00 AM

You are on same page as me but its convincing her. She wants me to be as close as possible due to late night commitments during rotations down the road. I only found one apartment complex in Kernersville that is up to her standards called Hawthorne at Main. I just want to thank yall for the help. I have only ever been to Winston once and with my work schedule and hers it looks to be a couple weeks before we can make a trip. Any recommendations on apartments is very appreciated. Looking forward to moving into the area from South Carolina

Old 01-06-2016, 11:16 AM

3,867 posts, read 6,662,420 times
When you say "late night rotations" are you referring to the medical school/hospital? That's a completely different commute than to the main WFU campus. The upcoming closure of Business 40 will definitely be a factor in a commute from Kernersville to the the WFU medical complex.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:18 AM

97 posts, read 191,561 times
Depends on where you are moving from...it is all relevant. IMO the Triad on its worst day is a piece of cake...traffic is very light. Kernersville would be a good neutral point. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
You are on same page as me but its convincing her. She wants me to be as close as possible due to late night commitments during rotations down the road. I only found one apartment complex in Kernersville that is up to her standards called Hawthorne at Main. I just want to thank yall for the help. I have only ever been to Winston once and with my work schedule and hers it looks to be a couple weeks before we can make a trip. Any recommendations on apartments is very appreciated. Looking forward to moving into the area from South Carolina
Are you going to be in med school? If so, there are many rentals available in the Ardmore neighborhood near the hospital and downtown. Getting to G'boro should be okay from there, she'd just have to find a back way to I-40, which is fairly close by. Look on Craigslist or talk to the med school; I'm pretty sure they assist students with finding housing.

As far as Alaris, I would be concerned about what the B-40 closing will do to traffic on Hwy. 52. Its very heavy now with lots of commuters. I'm not convinced it will be a breeze to navigate during the shutdown.

I did not realize Hawthorne at Main was in K'ville. Her commute to G'boro should be pretty easy from there. It would be more problematic for you, since its close to B-40. You'd have to drive down to I-40 and come to school that way, or take all backroads.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:34 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,088,893 times
Good info above. I would just echo Charlotte2Advance's comments--even at its worst, the traffic here is quite manageable compared to larger cities such as Charlotte or Raleigh, for example. I don't think you'd have much of a problem getting to WFU's main campus from Kernersville even when the Biz 40 construction begins. If US 52 is bad you can take 5th St. to MLK to University Pkwy.

If you're talking about the Medical School, then the Biz 40 project will be more of a problem. But you also have options there, such as taking Union Cross Rd. to I-40, then Peter's Creek Pkwy to Academy St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or