U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-18-2016, 06:37 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Reputation: 8896

Advertisements

On the occasion that I humor myself and actually read VW's ranting I can't help but think this describes pretty much any region in the country.
BTW, there are 2.6 million registered Democrats to 1.9 million Republicans and 1.8 million Unaffiliated. You can't really label NC conservative. Yes, rural counties and cities still hold onto conservative ways but, I still think you are mostly what you criticize about this state and the people; cliqueish and gossipy. Nearly all your posts center around those two topics.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2016, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Durham, North Carolina
774 posts, read 1,614,760 times
Reputation: 1478
NICE TRY WFW&P!

I have to give it to you... that was some delicious psycho-dabble.
Unfortunately ... it's illogical. How can one person be a clique ... and how can one person among himself??

I'd like to think that together, our contrasting views is giving the OP a MUCH better idea of what he'll experience when he arrives.

You're also right that there are some aspects the culture in the Triad that is symptomatic to what's going on throughout the nation. Of course that's true. Youth violence isn't just happening here... in fact to me, it looks like it's a lot less going on there than in larger places like Chicago. (AND, I have to give it to the police here... I have never felt hunted nor discriminated against here and the police force LOOKS like it's ethnically diverse.)

BUT-- you don't correct nor improve life by simply shrugging the collective shoulders and saying "two wrongs do make it all right.")

I HEAR that there is a large oxy and meth problem... but I don't SEE it because I'm not out late at night. One Google search pulls up reports about the growing Heroin problem runs through the region: SEE--> Heroin addiction: A tour of hell | Triad City Beat

I do see people buying booze like mad and of course I see the symptoms of drinking ... and of course alcohol use is a WORLD WIDE problem.

Now... I didn't know that there are "2.6 million registered Democrats to 1.9 million Republicans and 1.8 million Unaffiliated."

So WHY are the political results ... what they are!?!?
Don't blame ME... IT'S YOUR RESULTS!

What disturbs me most about the vehement --collective-- responses against my statements is that they SHOW a resistance to both change and introspection.

And I cannot see how in the world you can possibly say the Triad or N.C. isn't the Bible Belt.
That alone points to a "FUNDAMENTALISTIC" ... view of life that is much more narrow-minded in consciousness than the rest of the nation. C'mon!

OF COURSE you're going to have more mental problems when the prevailing view of life is too narrow for most people to be considered "normal" in. You guys want to resist change... resist the message by killing the messenger. THIS is PART of what makes you lairs. You're not bad people ... you just don't like the truth.
Folks here want to talk out of both sides of their mouth and have both be true.

I had a conversation in a gas station YESTERDAY with a middle age guy who happened to be born and raised here and white. HE brought up the problems of an "epidemic of Narcissism."

HE brought up the culture of, "... If momma ain't happy, ain't no body happy" ... which evolves into the most extreme form of narcissism which is Borderline Personality Disorder... a form of irrational "Drama for the sake of Drama" that seems to have infected retail workers throughout the state! (hehehe.. okay.. a tiny bit of an exaggeration...)

He also pointed to (his exact words) ... "generations of babies having babies... abandoned by their fathers, that has created the social problems that exist here.

I agree ... PLUS the history because my friend .. NO PLACE escapes its history. Every place is a continuation of its past. And this is the South and the Confederacy is still alive. No one is running around in sheets through the streets, but Andy Griffith's town is known for the Mt Airy Old Glory Skinheads, Confederate Hammerskins, and Crew 38. It's problematic that you'd even attempt to deny these things... which points to how "cliquish" and insular some people become here. Purposeful denial.

There IS a HUGE sense of entitlement one feels in the Piedmont. It's like many people think you're SUPPOSED to kiss their unwashed hind parts ... and this is narcissistic and yes, the nation has become so narcissistic that books are written about it. (Dr. W. Keith Campbell co-wrote: "The Roots of Narcissism" and I highly recommend it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXbeKKhQXKA )

Bullying, "misery loves company," the culture of voyeurism are not products of "Intruders."
They're also not limited to North Carolina.. and yes, economics have created a lot of these problems. But it's a beautiful state and there are tons of compassionate people here too.... so all I'm saying is that problems aren't solved by denying them.

... and if you think this is a "rant"... it's perhaps the anger you feel that anyone would DARE criticize your state... which is... um... a provincial, narrow-minded view of life!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2016, 07:56 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Reputation: 8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
NICE TRY WFW&P!

I have to give it to you... that was some delicious psycho-dabble.
Unfortunately ... it's illogical. How can one person be a clique ... and how can one person among himself??

I'd like to think that together, our contrasting views is giving the OP a MUCH better idea of what he'll experience when he arrives.

You're also right that there are some aspects the culture in the Triad that is symptomatic to what's going on throughout the nation. Of course that's true. Youth violence isn't just happening here... in fact to me, it looks like it's a lot less going on there than in larger places like Chicago. (AND, I have to give it to the police here... I have never felt hunted nor discriminated against here and the police force LOOKS like it's ethnically diverse.)

BUT-- you don't correct nor improve life by simply shrugging the collective shoulders and saying "two wrongs do make it all right.")

I HEAR that there is a large oxy and meth problem... but I don't SEE it because I'm not out late at night. One Google search pulls up reports about the growing Heroin problem runs through the region: SEE--> Heroin addiction: A tour of hell | Triad City Beat

I do see people buying booze like mad and of course I see the symptoms of drinking ... and of course alcohol use is a WORLD WIDE problem.

Now... I didn't know that there are "2.6 million registered Democrats to 1.9 million Republicans and 1.8 million Unaffiliated."

So WHY are the political results ... what they are!?!?
Don't blame ME... IT'S YOUR RESULTS!

What disturbs me most about the vehement --collective-- responses against my statements is that they SHOW a resistance to both change and introspection.

And I cannot see how in the world you can possibly say the Triad or N.C. isn't the Bible Belt.
That alone points to a "FUNDAMENTALISTIC" ... view of life that is much more narrow-minded in consciousness than the rest of the nation. C'mon!

OF COURSE you're going to have more mental problems when the prevailing view of life is too narrow for most people to be considered "normal" in. You guys want to resist change... resist the message by killing the messenger. THIS is PART of what makes you lairs. You're not bad people ... you just don't like the truth.
Folks here want to talk out of both sides of their mouth and have both be true.

I had a conversation in a gas station YESTERDAY with a middle age guy who happened to be born and raised here and white. HE brought up the problems of an "epidemic of Narcissism."

HE brought up the culture of, "... If momma ain't happy, ain't no body happy" ... which evolves into the most extreme form of narcissism which is Borderline Personality Disorder... a form of irrational "Drama for the sake of Drama" that seems to have infected retail workers throughout the state! (hehehe.. okay.. a tiny bit of an exaggeration...)

He also pointed to (his exact words) ... "generations of babies having babies... abandoned by their fathers, that has created the social problems that exist here.

I agree ... PLUS the history because my friend .. NO PLACE escapes its history. Every place is a continuation of its past. And this is the South and the Confederacy is still alive. No one is running around in sheets through the streets, but Andy Griffith's town is known for the Mt Airy Old Glory Skinheads, Confederate Hammerskins, and Crew 38. It's problematic that you'd even attempt to deny these things... which points to how "cliquish" and insular some people become here. Purposeful denial.

There IS a HUGE sense of entitlement one feels in the Piedmont. It's like many people think you're SUPPOSED to kiss their unwashed hind parts ... and this is narcissistic and yes, the nation has become so narcissistic that books are written about it. (Dr. W. Keith Campbell co-wrote: "The Roots of Narcissism" and I highly recommend it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXbeKKhQXKA )

Bullying, "misery loves company," the culture of voyeurism are not products of "Intruders."
They're also not limited to North Carolina.. and yes, economics have created a lot of these problems. But it's a beautiful state and there are tons of compassionate people here too.... so all I'm saying is that problems aren't solved by denying them.

... and if you think this is a "rant"... it's perhaps the anger you feel that anyone would DARE criticize your state... which is... um... a provincial, narrow-minded view of life!
It's your snotty-ass attitude that makes you the very way you criticize. I get it, you don't like it here and I venture to guess your bad attitude spews out your pores. You neither propose change or provide introspect; only criticize, judge, and chastise. Most of what you write is not unique to NC and can be found anywhere. You criticize the state for being the "bible belt" yet in the next breath seem disappointed that it's not as you think.
As for the voting results the answer is simple: apathy. The voter turn out for Amendment One was abysmal given the controversial nature of the bill. Total turnout statewide didn't amount to the total of registered Republicans.
I've lived in this state all but 5 years on this planet, it has come a long way since 1970, but keep in mind there are cities in this country that have nearly, if not more people than this entire state.
All I can say if you are so miserable here, leave; and unless you are being held captive there is nothing stopping you but fear and air.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 11:24 AM
 
14 posts, read 21,559 times
Reputation: 25
North Carolina was the next to last southern state to secede. When the vote was cast, only about 115 people in Guilford County voted to leave the union. In 1827, Guilford county state representative John Motley Morehead proposed a bill that would have freed every slave in the state. There are only two reasons why our state finally joined the Confederacy: we were surrounded by other Confed states, and President Lincoln was attempting to raise regiments of soldiers in the state, to fight against the South. Most citizens in the area were very much pro union. How is that for a narrative?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 01:21 PM
 
Location: NC High Country
3,863 posts, read 6,654,997 times
Reputation: 3824
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepandFetch View Post
North Carolina was the next to last southern state to secede. When the vote was cast, only about 115 people in Guilford County voted to leave the union. In 1827, Guilford county state representative John Motley Morehead proposed a bill that would have freed every slave in the state. There are only two reasons why our state finally joined the Confederacy: we were surrounded by other Confed states, and President Lincoln was attempting to raise regiments of soldiers in the state, to fight against the South. Most citizens in the area were very much pro union. How is that for a narrative?
Thank you sooo much for trying to get this thread back on topic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2016, 01:39 PM
 
14 posts, read 21,559 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Thank you sooo much for trying to get this thread back on topic.
I was only correcting the false narrative that Greensboro is historically full of violent bigots.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2016, 09:46 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Reputation: 8896
Keeping in step, and relative to topic, a CD member was able to determine the overwhelming majority voted against Amendment One.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2016, 10:35 AM
 
Location: The Emerald City
1,486 posts, read 1,694,213 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
NICE TRY WFW&P!

I have to give it to you... that was some delicious psycho-dabble.
Unfortunately ... it's illogical. How can one person be a clique ... and how can one person among himself??

I'd like to think that together, our contrasting views is giving the OP a MUCH better idea of what he'll experience when he arrives.

You're also right that there are some aspects the culture in the Triad that is symptomatic to what's going on throughout the nation. Of course that's true. Youth violence isn't just happening here... in fact to me, it looks like it's a lot less going on there than in larger places like Chicago. (AND, I have to give it to the police here... I have never felt hunted nor discriminated against here and the police force LOOKS like it's ethnically diverse.)

BUT-- you don't correct nor improve life by simply shrugging the collective shoulders and saying "two wrongs do make it all right.")

I HEAR that there is a large oxy and meth problem... but I don't SEE it because I'm not out late at night. One Google search pulls up reports about the growing Heroin problem runs through the region: SEE--> Heroin addiction: A tour of hell | Triad City Beat

I do see people buying booze like mad and of course I see the symptoms of drinking ... and of course alcohol use is a WORLD WIDE problem.

Now... I didn't know that there are "2.6 million registered Democrats to 1.9 million Republicans and 1.8 million Unaffiliated."

So WHY are the political results ... what they are!?!?
Don't blame ME... IT'S YOUR RESULTS!

What disturbs me most about the vehement --collective-- responses against my statements is that they SHOW a resistance to both change and introspection.

And I cannot see how in the world you can possibly say the Triad or N.C. isn't the Bible Belt.
That alone points to a "FUNDAMENTALISTIC" ... view of life that is much more narrow-minded in consciousness than the rest of the nation. C'mon!

OF COURSE you're going to have more mental problems when the prevailing view of life is too narrow for most people to be considered "normal" in. You guys want to resist change... resist the message by killing the messenger. THIS is PART of what makes you lairs. You're not bad people ... you just don't like the truth.
Folks here want to talk out of both sides of their mouth and have both be true.

I had a conversation in a gas station YESTERDAY with a middle age guy who happened to be born and raised here and white. HE brought up the problems of an "epidemic of Narcissism."

HE brought up the culture of, "... If momma ain't happy, ain't no body happy" ... which evolves into the most extreme form of narcissism which is Borderline Personality Disorder... a form of irrational "Drama for the sake of Drama" that seems to have infected retail workers throughout the state! (hehehe.. okay.. a tiny bit of an exaggeration...)

He also pointed to (his exact words) ... "generations of babies having babies... abandoned by their fathers, that has created the social problems that exist here.

I agree ... PLUS the history because my friend .. NO PLACE escapes its history. Every place is a continuation of its past. And this is the South and the Confederacy is still alive. No one is running around in sheets through the streets, but Andy Griffith's town is known for the Mt Airy Old Glory Skinheads, Confederate Hammerskins, and Crew 38. It's problematic that you'd even attempt to deny these things... which points to how "cliquish" and insular some people become here. Purposeful denial.

There IS a HUGE sense of entitlement one feels in the Piedmont. It's like many people think you're SUPPOSED to kiss their unwashed hind parts ... and this is narcissistic and yes, the nation has become so narcissistic that books are written about it. (Dr. W. Keith Campbell co-wrote: "The Roots of Narcissism" and I highly recommend it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXbeKKhQXKA )

Bullying, "misery loves company," the culture of voyeurism are not products of "Intruders."
They're also not limited to North Carolina.. and yes, economics have created a lot of these problems. But it's a beautiful state and there are tons of compassionate people here too.... so all I'm saying is that problems aren't solved by denying them.

... and if you think this is a "rant"... it's perhaps the anger you feel that anyone would DARE criticize your state... which is... um... a provincial, narrow-minded view of life!
Please stop using individual mental health diagnoses. You're not qualified.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2016, 03:31 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
On the occasion that I humor myself and actually read VW's ranting I can't help but think this describes pretty much any region in the country.
BTW, there are 2.6 million registered Democrats to 1.9 million Republicans and 1.8 million Unaffiliated. You can't really label NC conservative. Yes, rural counties and cities still hold onto conservative ways but, I still think you are mostly what you criticize about this state and the people; cliqueish and gossipy. Nearly all your posts center around those two topics.
It's ridiculous and obviously hardly anyone reads them. They are full of nothing but garbage opinions stated as facts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2016, 03:32 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Please stop using individual mental health diagnoses. You're not qualified.
LOL! Apparently he thinks he is. It's better just to skip over his junk...he seems to think he's an expert on NC then goes on to display his ignorance of it using vast generalizations to "prove" his lame points. It's pathetic.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top