Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 12:53 PM

10 posts, read 14,079 times

Advertisements

Spouse living in Kernersville, NC temporary, I'm still in NY for another year.

Looking to buy a 3+ BR (newer) house somewhere in between my job in Charlotte(85/485 meet) and spouses job in High Point. Understand commute to Charlotte can be long/traffic - years ago commuted from Long Island not a problem.

Looking at a map, Lexington & Salisbury are the larger cities along 85 to split commute. Any pros/cons? Any other towns suggested?

Open to all suggestions of all types of neighborhoods. Kids in college so primary focus not on school district but would still like to be in a good neighborhood.

If we were to build (built 2 houses in 20 yrs), any comments about Wade Journey Homes or Eastwood Homes/The Vineyards at Lexington?

Thanks ALL SUGGESTIONS welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 05:25 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,351,630 times
Not having to worry about schools is a good thing in this case. I'd definitely pick Salisbury over Lexington. Its a little bigger, and a whole lot nicer. The Lexington economy was decimated by the by troubles with the furniture industry in the 1990's. Salisbury has the headquarters of Food Lion, at least for the time being, and has more and better shopping, dining, etc. than Lexington. Salisbury isn't the greatest place, but its a nicer place to live than Lexington.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:46 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,621,171 times
I think Wade Jurney has a better reputation than Eastwood, but I don't have personal experience with either.

I'd agree with Salisbury over Lexington.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:11 AM

743 posts, read 821,276 times
Salisbury/Rowan county is probably your best option. It's the half way point between the Triad & Charlotte metro. Decent amount of retail & other shopping areas like Concord Mills are close by

Old 01-15-2016, 11:47 AM

16,757 posts, read 8,177,783 times
Check out the northern parts of Rowan County near I-85. Exit 81 will get you to High Rock Lake area. Their are a couple of lake front Communities which sound like they hit your needs.
Sunset Pointe Has a sign in front with a second section opening. Good Luck.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:11 AM

324 posts, read 385,716 times
I'd agree with Carolina Dawg. as a resident of Lexington. Haven't spent much time in Salisbury but it looks bigger, livelier and more upscale to me. The one real plus in Lexington is High Rock Lake. The southern end of it may stretch close to Salisbury, but I haven't explored that far yet.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:57 AM

Default Thank you

I thought I replied a few days ago but don't see it(still trying to navigate this site)
THANK YOU everyone for your responses.
We are going to check out Salisbury next week when I am in NC.

Someone mentioned: Salisbury isn't the greatest place, but its a nicer place to live than Lexington.
Is there another area you would recommend? We don't have to be on the 85 line - I could go east/west/north/south but ideally splitting the commute for both of us if not 3/4 for one 1/4 for another. THANKS AGAIN!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:16 AM

13,361 posts, read 26,911,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattig45 View Post
Someone mentioned: Salisbury isn't the greatest place, but its a nicer place to live than Lexington.
Is there another area you would recommend? We don't have to be on the 85 line - I could go east/west/north/south but ideally splitting the commute for both of us if not 3/4 for one 1/4 for another.
Not sure whether you prefer urban or country living. However, if you have the budget for it, why not a lake-front house at High Rock Lake?

Old 02-05-2016, 12:16 PM

Looking at the prices on the lake we do not have that budget.
Sorry if misspoke in my original thread, having built 2 houses in UPSTATE NY which is very different then Westchester/Long Island housing lol When I win the lotto one day I can have a Lake-front house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point