U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,696 times

Advertisements

I am an African American and my friend is from China. I usually don't have a problem with racism personally but she tells me about how much adults are rude to her and her family most of the time and at schhool some students can be rude too. There aren't as much Asian people here, maybe that is why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 01:41 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,695,945 times
There are many Asians in Greensboro. Is your friend wanting to meet other Asian people? Sorry she's having this problem.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:49 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,926,424 times
Rudeness doesn't equal racism. Unless she has some proof or even a hint that people are rude to her because of her race she can't really accuse them of being racist. Besides, one person's negative experience wouldn't lead to the conclusion that the entire county is racist. There are individual racists everywhere in the world but it doesn't mean that that racist's entire community is the same way.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:48 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,746,889 times
Only a hard core racists would have posted the initial question.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:02 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,526,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Only a hard core racists would have posted the initial question.
That's silly.

But to the OP's point, I haven't seen anything to suggest that Greensboro is particularly racist, and as others have noted, there are quite a few people of Asian descent in Greensboro. UNCG is very diverse with many Asian and Asian-American students, and there is a fairly large Vietnamese community. I've never spent much time in the more suburban and rural parts of Guilford County, but my advice would be to avoid rude people, no matter why they're rude. There are thousands and thousands of accepting, friendly people in the area. Hang around those people.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:43 AM

774 posts, read 1,615,129 times
Default These people are "Local"

Yeah... but it's actually not as bad as it can be.
There IS an epidemic of rudeness ... which many natives say has always been here, but I see it more as a combination of the general decline in mental health throughout the nation, and the fact that this is a very "Local" .. traditional culture here.

(I heard that term before I arrived and didn't know the depth of it. "Local" refers to the outlook of people here. The world drops off after you leave Greensboro or the Piedmont. Consciousness is focused just on this area.)

Too, there is an insane jealousy. Misery loves company and far too few people read books. But again, that isn't just here.

Next we have to factor in bullying. Gen X and GenNext grew up with it even more in their culture, but due to the history (slavery), bullying is huge here. Everything is about sex and power. Bullying is about shame and insecurity around identity. There's more.... but if a lot of fools, white, black, Latino .... think they can get away with insulting or intimidating or making someone else feel miserable, then they hope THEY will feel less miserable.

I have a friend who works as a therapist in a large locked ward. He says that now days, Borderline Personality Disordered people are by far--hands down-- THE most diagnosed people who are hospitalized.
  1. While racism isn't necessarily a mental disorder, it is certainly a SYMPTOM of mental illness.
  2. Spiritual health is synonymous with mental health, and today, people love to think they're "Jesus" but they act like the Romans. Borderlines hurt people just for the fun of it. They can't stop it.
  3. There's a real "anti-intellectualism" in America today. People will much rather gossip and watch the idiot box than read a book a month. (Even a book a year!) Hence all the ignorant behavior.

Tell your friend not to take it personally. People are just projecting their own self-hatred onto her. Tell her to start learning how to protect herself internally from the idiots (i.e. by using tools like meditation) and not to take it personally. There's a lot of compassionate people like yourself here too. Find them and ignore the dunderheads. Not much you can do with generational trauma and dysfunction.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:55 AM

552 posts, read 310,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Yeah... but it's actually not as bad as it can be.
There IS an epidemic of rudeness ... which many natives say has always been here, but I see it more as a combination of the general decline in mental health throughout the nation, and the fact that this is a very "Local" .. traditional culture here.

(I heard that term before I arrived and didn't know the depth of it. "Local" refers to the outlook of people here. The world drops off after you leave Greensboro or the Piedmont. Consciousness is focused just on this area.)

Too, there is an insane jealousy. Misery loves company and far too few people read books. But again, that isn't just here.

Next we have to factor in bullying. Gen X and GenNext grew up with it even more in their culture, but due to the history (slavery), bullying is huge here. Everything is about sex and power. Bullying is about shame and insecurity around identity. There's more.... but if a lot of fools, white, black, Latino .... think they can get away with insulting or intimidating or making someone else feel miserable, then they hope THEY will feel less miserable.

I have a friend who works as a therapist in a large locked ward. He says that now days, Borderline Personality Disordered people are by far--hands down-- THE most diagnosed people who are hospitalized.
  1. While racism isn't necessarily a mental disorder, it is certainly a SYMPTOM of mental illness.
  2. Spiritual health is synonymous with mental health, and today, people love to think they're "Jesus" but they act like the Romans. Borderlines hurt people just for the fun of it. They can't stop it.
  3. There's a real "anti-intellectualism" in America today. People will much rather gossip and watch the idiot box than read a book a month. (Even a book a year!) Hence all the ignorant behavior.
Tell your friend not to take it personally. People are just projecting their own self-hatred onto her. Tell her to start learning how to protect herself internally from the idiots (i.e. by using tools like meditation) and not to take it personally. There's a lot of compassionate people like yourself here too. Find them and ignore the dunderheads. Not much you can do with generational trauma and dysfunction.

Unfortunately areas like Greensboro have been traumatized over the years which has led to a lot of negative feelings and negative thinking towards others. Not to mention the fact that most southern communities tend to be insular, and well, not as well informed about the rest of the world. For someone who is cultured and has experiences in more urban and sophisticated metros, it may be difficult to assimilate in these areas.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:35 AM

2,308 posts, read 1,793,999 times
LMAO you didn't ask this important question -----

What racism would a white person in China experience?

Anywho, people have odd reactions to stuff they're not familar with.

shock.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:04 AM

3,867 posts, read 6,659,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Unfortunately areas like Greensboro have been traumatized over the years which has led to a lot of negative feelings and negative thinking towards others. Not to mention the fact that most southern communities tend to be insular, and well, not as well informed about the rest of the world. For someone who is cultured and has experiences in more urban and sophisticated metros, it may be difficult to assimilate in these areas.
I find this to be condescending and somewhat insulting. Greensboro has several outstanding colleges and universities and no lack of residents with exposure to the "outside world." I find that ease or difficulty in assimilation, in many cases, can have more to do with an individual's personal traits and sincere effort to assimilate.

As a UNC-CH grad, you should have picked up a bit more larnin' while at Chapel Hill. Shame on you.

As to the problems experienced by the OP's friend, unfortunately rudeness is all too prevalent in today's society... everywhere, not just in Greensboro. And rudeness is not the same as racism.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:05 AM

261 posts, read 263,933 times
Quote:
Unfortunately areas like Greensboro have been traumatized over the years which has led to a lot of negative feelings and negative thinking towards others.
Traumatized how? "(A)reas like"...which means what, the whole world?

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that most southern communities tend to be insular, and well, not as well informed about the rest of the world. For someone who is cultured and has experiences in more urban and sophisticated metros, it may be difficult to assimilate in these areas.
What an absurd generalization to make to make, especially about a city with almost 300,000 residents and a long history of racial and religious tolerance and diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point