Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:09 AM

702 posts, read 2,524,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewald1013 View Post
Crime rate- here are some stats: Annually there are 11 murders in Winston Salem, 36 in Greensboro, 66 in Charlotte. Crime is not that bad here. It depends on what part of downtown you are walking in as to weather it is dangerous or not. If you are talking about "the" downtown it is pretty nice. So long as you keep in the business district I would not mind my sister walking around unaccompanied in the daytime. I actually lived and worked security 4 blocks from the Wachovia building (center of WS skyline). I wouldnt reccommend raising a family down there as prostitution and drug use are not uncommon on the outskirts of downtown. But, I now live 4 miles away in the Clemmons area and would raise a family here in a heartbeat.
Now you sound pretty level headed in your paragraph, and you made good points. Living in a city simply requires a little common sense and taking some precautionary measures that one would hopefully take anywhere. Don't walk deserted streets alone; don't leave anything visible in your vehicle; be alert when out on the street and be aware of your surroundings. I would suggest the same at Hanes Mall or in West End or at Tanglewood...crime happens anywhere and everywhere. There are no boundaries around downtown or the depressed/run down areas of town where criminals often live. Clemmons IS a great area for family-rasin'. I grew up there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 06:04 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewald1013 View Post
I actually lived and worked security 4 blocks from the Wachovia building (center of WS skyline). I wouldnt reccommend raising a family down there as prostitution and drug use are not uncommon on the outskirts of downtown.
My spouse works nights at W-S Wachovia. He's gotten quite used to passing the prostitutes on his way in to work, and looking the other way when drugs are being sold. I raised my eyebrows at that, for worry, but he's not concerned. He did say that it seemed a bit nonsensical to see the condo development go in where Krispy Kreme had its formerly ambitious plans. People might not want to be going out at night, living there, but I suppose the hope is that the well-heeled dwellers will help drive out the dirtier element.

Btw, anyone keeping up with the W-S rapes? They've been big news the last couple of weeks, though the police have basically been saying "so? it's about par for the usual number of assaults that occur in the area."

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149193190633&path=&s= (broken link)
shorter link
http://tinyurl.com/36xhnn (broken link)

Old 02-14-2007, 01:27 PM

702 posts, read 2,524,970 times
Hopefully when there are more people living in that area and throughout downtown, there will be more legal and normal activity on the streets - and just really more people, period. That does drive away illegal trade, because those people can't continue to go unnoticed when so many law-abiding people are living around them. A good citizen might walk or drive by and witness something shady...and criminals don't want witnesses...

Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,962 times
The thing that concerns me about the Winston Salem area truthfully is the dramatic differences of opinion I am reading above...where can I get facts outside the Journal as I am looking for facts not opinions......any newspaper that prints access to tickets for the obama fiasco without stating that the reason why outside tickets are available now to the public is because no sane person would be caught dead there........woops I think I just stated some chicago values that he will be bringing with him. Come on journal the reason there are tickets available is to fill an otherwise empty stadium!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,962 times
The thing that concerns me about the Winston Salem area truthfully is the dramatic differences of opinion I am reading above...where can I get facts outside the Journal as I am looking for facts not opinions......any newspaper that prints access to tickets for the obama fiasco without stating that the reason why outside tickets are available now to the public is because no sane person would be caught dead there........woops I think I just stated some chicago values that he will be bringing with him. Come on journal the reason there are tickets available is to fill an otherwise empty stadium!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean byrnes View Post
Nice first post. 5-year-old threads are a great place to get current information, and an ill-informed post like yours is a great way to introduce yourself to the board.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Well, since the thread got dug up by our new troll friend, it's interesting to read. I'd say the perception of downtown has swung a little toward the positive side, no?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:33 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well, since the thread got dug up by our new troll friend, it's interesting to read. I'd say the perception of downtown has swung a little toward the positive side, no?

Yeah, I went back and read the entire thread, and I'm really baffled by some of the comments. I worked downtown from 1993 to 2001 (well before this thread came along), and even way back then I never felt threatened or unsafe at all, even at night. Like any city, Winston certainly has its shady areas, but the business district has never been shady since I've lived here. The biggest problem back then was the lack of things to attract to people to come back downtown after leaving work, so it was rather deserted at night. Even so, I never considered the area unsafe.

And yes, downtown is much different these days, and it's getting better all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point