U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:45 AM
gmb gmb started this thread

45 posts, read 269,844 times

Advertisements

I noticed on some internet searches that the crime rate seems to be really high in Winston-Salem especially for the number of residents. Why is that? Is it not a safe community? It seems nice otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2006, 12:28 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb
I noticed on some internet searches that the crime rate seems to be really high in Winston-Salem especially for the number of residents. Why is that? Is it not a safe community? It seems nice otherwise.
I've been told that Winston-Salem has relatively large numbers of very rich and very poor families. Not a good mix for any city.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-21-2006 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-06-2007, 12:23 PM

75 posts, read 356,872 times
Stay away from Downtown where most of the crime is. Patterson Avenue is not a good place to live. You can drive down Reynolda Road and see lush mansions and very poor homes. If you choose the right part of Winston or one of it's suburbs, you will find the area is safe and a nice place to live.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:30 PM

699 posts, read 2,341,276 times
Downtown Winston Salem is very nice, clean, and safe. It is just now getting a little more inlux of residents, but there still isn't a large downtown population. Crime follows high income and high numbers of people. There are lots of assumptions and misconceptions about downtown areas of cities in general. You should make your own decision tho...

Old 02-09-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Downtown Winston Salem is very nice, clean, and safe. It is just now getting a little more inlux of residents, but there still isn't a large downtown population. Crime follows high income and high numbers of people. There are lots of assumptions and misconceptions about downtown areas of cities in general. You should make your own decision tho...
Downtown Winston-Salem is dirty, crime filled and a scary place even in broad daylight. I know because I worked there for quite a while and occassionally go there as long as I have someone with me. I wouldn't walk the streets of downtown Winston alone.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:09 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,183,357 times
*heh* Opposing views, posted back-to-back

Let's just say that W-S is trying to clean things up. The success of various projects will determine which way the downtown area falls. If Krispy Kreme hadn't fubar-d their development ambitions, there would have been a big new corporate headquarters aligned with the NC School of Performing arts to create a neighborhood centered on downtown living. That fell through (in a big way), but developers went ahead with a condo-high rise project that now lists dwellings from 200K to 1 million. The next project, expected to have more success, is the downtown ballpark/mixed use development. There is an interesting thread about it on this forum http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=417943

Edited to add: for those outside the W-S area, the local wipe can be found at http://www.journalnow.com I give it high marks for allowing online access to local area news

Last edited by silverwing; 02-10-2007 at 01:58 AM..

Old 02-10-2007, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCis4me View Post
Downtown Winston-Salem is dirty, crime filled and a scary place even in broad daylight. I know because I worked there for quite a while and occassionally go there as long as I have someone with me. I wouldn't walk the streets of downtown Winston alone.
That's hilarious...if someone is THAT afraid of a city like W-S imagine him/her in Atlanta!!! I love downtown W-S...it is clean and historic, and I hope the negativitiy of some of these postings doesn't influence the originator of this thread.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
That's hilarious...if someone is THAT afraid of a city like W-S imagine him/her in Atlanta!!! I love downtown W-S...it is clean and historic, and I hope the negativitiy of some of these postings doesn't influence the originator of this thread.
I was born in W-S, lived quite a bit of my life there, went to school there, worked there, but downtown W-S is not a safe place on the whole. I love the Triad and would be reluctant to live anywhere else. You have to take the good with the bad and keep your eyes open. I have never visited Atlanta, so I cannot compare it to W-S's downtown.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCis4me View Post
I was born in W-S, lived quite a bit of my life there, went to school there, worked there, but downtown W-S is not a safe place on the whole. I love the Triad and would be reluctant to live anywhere else. You have to take the good with the bad and keep your eyes open. I have never visited Atlanta, so I cannot compare it to W-S's downtown.

I wasn't comparing the two cities either...but if people are frightened by downtown W-S, then a larger downtown in a city like Atlanta or Chicago would blow them completely away. I admit I grew up in the burbs...Clemmons...but I spent time downtown for different reasons, even working 2nd shift during college summers at RJR back when downtown was a whole lot scarier. I recently looked at the Nissen Bldg with thoughts of moving back, and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice downtown W-S had become.

One reason downtowns seem dangerous is because many of them are deserted at night. I think it's dangerous to be walking anywhere in any city when you can't see other people. That's an invitation to some kind of crime simply because there is no one to help you and no witnesses, and criminals know this. W-S is already much busier at night and will become moreso in the near future with more housing options downtown. The thing to remember with crime is not to attract it by risky behavior...then, downtown is a safe place to live.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 28,814 times
Default as if you want to read any more!!

Crime rate- here are some stats: Annually there are 11 murders in Winston Salem, 36 in Greensboro, 66 in Charlotte. Crime is not that bad here. It depends on what part of downtown you are walking in as to weather it is dangerous or not. If you are talking about "the" downtown it is pretty nice. So long as you keep in the business district I would not mind my sister walking around unaccompanied in the daytime. I actually lived and worked security 4 blocks from the Wachovia building (center of WS skyline). I wouldnt reccommend raising a family down there as prostitution and drug use are not uncommon on the outskirts of downtown. But, I now live 4 miles away in the Clemmons area and would raise a family here in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point