U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:05 PM

552 posts, read 309,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
If it happens, and obviously its a big if, current "municipality" (sic) budgets are a moot point. The local government's portion of the project (which will be a minority portion) will not come from existing revenue streams, but will instead come from an additional sales tax, car registration fee, etc. (see Charlotte for example).

Get real yourself.

I already know your version of real, and that's not where I want to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 09:24 PM

3,785 posts, read 3,297,504 times
Quote:
If it happens, and obviously its a big if, current "municipality" (sic) budgets are a moot point. The local government's portion of the project (which will be a minority portion) will not come from existing revenue streams, but will instead come from an additional sales tax, car registration fee, etc. (see Charlotte for example).

Get real yourself.

I'd assume you already know, but our portion was only like, 25%. With the fed's not having sufficient funds for mass transit like they used to and the biggest factor, the state not playing ball with light rail anymore either.

Although, I'm not sure if you all know about Denver's mass transit, I'm not too familiar with it, but I think they have 3 different rail lines opening this year bringing up their transit lines up to 99 miles. I think they work primarily with the private industry.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:09 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,807,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I'd assume you already know, but our portion was only like, 25%. With the fed's not having sufficient funds for mass transit like they used to and the biggest factor, the state not playing ball with light rail anymore either.
Your assumption is correct.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I already know your version of real, and that's not where I want to go.
LOL, nice response. I love people who respond to facts with personal attacks.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:42 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Also when it does eventually happen state and federal dollars will support the project so the burden won't be just on the local governments. But right now streetcars/trolley for the downtown areas more realistic than a light rail system.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:58 AM

29,881 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Commuter rail would be a better fit for the Triad at this point in time IMO.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Commuter rail would be a better fit for the Triad at this point in time IMO.
So true. A train can run between the Triad cities several times a day. Winston-Salem needs a train station first. Any body know the status on the depot renovation over there?

Old 01-29-2016, 07:19 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,859,160 times
The time to build any rail is right now when the cost of land acquisition is at it's lowest.
Rail is always built for the future needs, you just can't wait till the future to build it.

Just look at the Northeast rail corridor. I am sure 100 years ago those people were complaining about the cost. Today it would be cost prohibitive to acquire the land that the NE corridor runs on.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
So true. A train can run between the Triad cities several times a day. Winston-Salem needs a train station first. Any body know the status on the depot renovation over there?
Union Station Left Out of State's Rail Plan | 88.5 WFDD

Old 01-29-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
wow unbelievable. just when plans are underway political winds change everything. It baffles me as to why Winston-Salem was cut out of the loop. At the very least the city needs Amtrak service and people there shouldn't have to take a shuttle bus or drive to Greensboro or High Point to get on a train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or