U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 05:44 PM

32 posts, read 26,687 times

Advertisements

I believe the reason Winston was left out of the SEHSR and Amtrak for that matter is that the main rail line connecting Winston with the cities to the east is privately owned and operated, unlike the main NCRR line that connects Raleigh-Durham-Greensboro-High Point-Charlotte which is owned by the state government.

This doesn't mean Winston can't get rail service, but that it would probably cost far too much in the current political atmosphere to purchase the necessary ROW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 01:32 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,117,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Commuter rail would be a better fit for the Triad at this point in time IMO.
This is where the article fails completely - it discusses light rail and commuter rail like they're the same thing and uses the words interchangeably. They're very different modes used for different purposes, in different circumstances, with vastly different costs and different benefits.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:21 PM

815 posts, read 1,009,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Another pipe dream in the Triad. There isn't even much traffic there so why is there a need for light rail? Furthermore, how do they intend to pay for it when the municipality budgets are already stretched thin?

Get real people.
I litterally laugh when people say there isn't much traffic in Greensboro.

"I was stuck here, awhile, so i took a picture"

Get real people, GSO has nearly 300.000 residents there is going to be traffic especially on main arteries in built up areas, either, they don't live here, or they don't visit the triad.

Kudos to GSO for having an excellent freeway and road network though.

But back on topic, as i read before, the Triad is very carcentric, more so with gas hitting 1.65 and under in some areas. I think a move to lightrail would be better experienced 10 years down the line.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:46 AM

552 posts, read 309,040 times
Man, with all of that traffic Greensboro should definitely plan to invest close to $1 billion in a light rail system within 5-6 years. They should also consider including a subway system.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:52 PM

601 posts, read 791,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB-CD View Post
I believe the reason Winston was left out of the SEHSR and Amtrak for that matter is that the main rail line connecting Winston with the cities to the east is privately owned and operated, unlike the main NCRR line that connects Raleigh-Durham-Greensboro-High Point-Charlotte which is owned by the state government.

This doesn't mean Winston can't get rail service, but that it would probably cost far too much in the current political atmosphere to purchase the necessary ROW.
This is correct.

I do hear that Norfolk Southern is looking to consolidate many of their lines, and my understanding is the line between Greensboro and Winston Salem is sparsely used. If the state offers to purchase the line, or at least upgrade it, Norfolk Southern wouldn't have a problem with selling it, or at least allowing Amtrak to run it's trains on it.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a new line from Lexington, to Winston-Salem, and then to Roanoke, which would connect with the proposed Transdominion Express in western/northern Virginia. The O-Line from Winston-Salem to Charlotte is also another line that doesn't get much traffic, and could serve as another link between the Charlotte metro and the Triad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
This is where the article fails completely - it discusses light rail and commuter rail like they're the same thing and uses the words interchangeably. They're very different modes used for different purposes, in different circumstances, with vastly different costs and different benefits.
Yup. What the Triad needs, and is somewhat feasible, is commuter rail. The NC Railroad is owned by the state, and it is in the process of being upgraded to double tracks, along with other improvements. The most realistic plan the Triad could put forward is a commuter line from Lexington, to Greensboro, and then to Burlington. Three cities along this stretch already have train stations. Points in-between could build smaller, temporary stations, or refurbish their old train stations, which were in use several decades ago. This is what my line would look like (starting north):

Mebane
Burlington
Elon
McLeansville
Greensboro
Jamestown
High Point
Thomasville
Lexington

Securing federal funding for rolling stock and train stations should be the number one priority. Such a service could start by running a few times in the morning, and a few times at night. From there, based on ridership numbers, they could expand over time. The metro could also plan for upgrading the corridor again with a third rail, to increase capacity, along with more grade separations. For more local mass transit, the cities can look into small tram lines inside their respective CBDs, which is what Winston-Salem is currently doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or