Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 10:40 PM

169 posts, read 335,866 times

Advertisements

Hello,

While I currently own a car (1999) it has less than 50,000 miles on it. Obviously I don't drive a lot, and when this car is finished, I don't want to buy another. Therefore, I am looking for information on which neighborhoods in Winston Salem have the best walkability.

When I say walkability, I am not talking about to bars, I am a bit old and over the bar scene. I mean being able to walk to art galleries, restaurants (not fast food), and somewhere to get weekly food (whether that means a farmer's market, grocery store, deli, butcher, etc.) As I don't live in Winston Salem currently, I need either names of specific neighborhoods or streets to start researching. BTW, as I am not married, no kids, and no pets, a neighborhood with small homes/yards is fine as proximity to daily life is what's most important to me. I will say though I am looking for a single family home and not a condo, so that likely rules out downtown Winston Salem, but I am sure there are other pocket areas of neighborhoods that also provide a walkable lifestyle....

Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 05:24 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,331,193 times
West End, parts of Ardmore and parts of Sherwood Forest.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:17 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,125,444 times
Unfortunately, like most southern cities, Winston-Salem is generally not conducive to a walking-only lifestyle. Things are rather spread out, and while there is some public transportation, it would be a challenge to rely on that as your only means of getting around. There are very few places that would allow you to walk to grocery stores, restaurants, and shopping. You might consider the northwest area of Ardmore, which is walkable to the Cloverdale and Thruway shopping centers (the Queen St. area). You could also walk to Thruway from the area between Business 40 and Country Club Rd. (Knollwood St. and Bitting Rd. area), but houses are pricey there. The Sherwood Forest area (mentioned above) might work if you could find something close to the shopping at Peace Haven and Robinhood roads, but this area is not set up well for walking (lots of traffic with limited sidewalks). You won't find art galleries in any of these locations, though.

I suppose being car-free is doable, but it would be very restrictive. I think it would be much more reasonable to plan on having a car, while living somewhere that can meet most of your walking objectives. That would allow you to take advantage of all the area has to offer while still limiting your driving. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2015, 02:36 PM

Thanks arbyunc

I do realize that unfortunately a walkable lifestyle is still rare in the U.S. and exist mostly in just the biggest cities like NYC, Boston, and even Seattle, but then the big cities are full of crime, high costs, etc. too.

I still have hopes though for WS. As I am not buying groceries for a family, if I can't walk to a deli/grocery/farmer's market, am hoping that maybe I can get by with Uber or Zipcar, I think WS has both from what I read. For art gallleries, well since I don't need to go them as often as replenishing food supply, I can do a bus, Uber or even a taxi (sounds extravagant, but owning a car averages $8700 per year between the cost of the car, registration, license, maintenance, etc. and for how little I drive I can't justify it).

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Old 11-10-2015, 09:29 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,976,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchip55 View Post
Thanks arbyunc

I do realize that unfortunately a walkable lifestyle is still rare in the U.S. and exist mostly in just the biggest cities like NYC, Boston, and even Seattle, but then the big cities are full of crime, high costs, etc. too.

I still have hopes though for WS. As I am not buying groceries for a family, if I can't walk to a deli/grocery/farmer's market, am hoping that maybe I can get by with Uber or Zipcar, I think WS has both from what I read. For art gallleries, well since I don't need to go them as often as replenishing food supply, I can do a bus, Uber or even a taxi (sounds extravagant, but owning a car averages $8700 per year between the cost of the car, registration, license, maintenance, etc. and for how little I drive I can't justify it).

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
If you drive more, which you would I you lived in a smaller city, then maybe you could justify the cost of owning a car. It certainly makes life more convenient and is well worth it in that respect.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:19 PM

Hi JoeTarheel,

You are correct that living in a smaller less expensive city helps offset some of the costs of a car. I didn't explain myself well in my previous post that my reason for wanting a car-free lifestyle isn't just about cost though. I was much fitter when I lived overseas without a car and walked everywhere, so it's a health thing. Also, as an environmentalist, I want to have a lifestyle aligned with my values, so the car free thing is also important to me for that reason. I should have included this information in my other post.

I am hoping someone who lives in Winston Salem who uses car sharing like Uber, Zipcar, etc. can weigh in. I am also considering getting a scooter if it is necessary...

Old 11-13-2015, 07:08 PM

536 posts, read 634,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchip55 View Post
Hi JoeTarheel,

You are correct that living in a smaller less expensive city helps offset some of the costs of a car. I didn't explain myself well in my previous post that my reason for wanting a car-free lifestyle isn't just about cost though. I was much fitter when I lived overseas without a car and walked everywhere, so it's a health thing. Also, as an environmentalist, I want to have a lifestyle aligned with my values, so the car free thing is also important to me for that reason. I should have included this information in my other post.

I am hoping someone who lives in Winston Salem who uses car sharing like Uber, Zipcar, etc. can weigh in. I am also considering getting a scooter if it is necessary...
As someone from Eastern Europe, I understand exactly what you want and commend you for living a healthy, sustainable lifestyle. Unfortunately, Winston-Salem is one of the worst cities in the world for a walkable lifestyle (look at Winston-Salem's walkability rating on the Walkscore website). That being said, West End, Ardmore, Sherwood Forest, the neighborhoods around Old Salem, and the Holly Avenue part of downtown (single-family homes are available) are all options. As previously mentioned, most of the grocery stores are around the Cloverdale/Miller/Thruway area to the west of the West End/Downtown areas and north of Ardmore, so being in walking distance to those is ideal. If you want a place halfway between those stores and downtown, West End is your best bet.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:42 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,976,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
As someone from Eastern Europe, I understand exactly what you want and commend you for living a healthy, sustainable lifestyle. Unfortunately, Winston-Salem is one of the worst cities in the world for a walkable lifestyle (look at Winston-Salem's walkability rating on the Walkscore website). That being said, West End, Ardmore, Sherwood Forest, the neighborhoods around Old Salem, and the Holly Avenue part of downtown (single-family homes are available) are all options. As previously mentioned, most of the grocery stores are around the Cloverdale/Miller/Thruway area to the west of the West End/Downtown areas and north of Ardmore, so being in walking distance to those is ideal. If you want a place halfway between those stores and downtown, West End is your best bet.
Worst cities in the world? Are you insane? I guess you must not be aware of the countless cities throughout the world that are much, much worse off in every category than W-S.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:14 AM

74 posts, read 138,543 times
Dear cchip55, I commend you for searching out a walkable lifestyle. I do, unfortunately, as other posters have said, think it would be difficult to pull that off in Winston-Salem. The challenges would come with buying groceries, perhaps meeting a friend who did not live downtown, seeing a movie, visiting a health care provider, etc. Even walking from the Washington Park neighborhood to the West End, both close-in downtown neighborhoods, would be a bit of a hike. If you do move here and manage to live car-free, please let us know! We would all be interested to hear how it goes.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:36 AM

74 posts, read 138,543 times
Reading your requirements again, I think your best bet for a neighborhood would be Washington Park. It is close to a farmers' market and walkable to the Marketplace shopping center. There are some crime issues in that area, so please research those if you do move there. Still, I think it will be difficult for you to go completely car-free. It will be counter-cultural (not necessarily a bad thing), and you will be the only middle-class-ish person you know without a car. Again, however, if you pull it off somehow, do keep us informed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point