U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 11:48 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,523,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safora13 View Post
Fathers Day cats sound wonderful! We should seriously consider starting this as a tradition!
LOL. Yeah. Typed that one on my phone. I'm not editing it. Autocorrect is right about this. Long live Fathers Day cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 12:19 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,104,088 times
A Father's Day card with a cat

Old 12-03-2018, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 2,717 times
I like to respond to the young lady who said that she is looking to move to Winston Salem soon. I certainly don’t intend to be a negative Nancy neither do I wish to discourage you. By all means give it your best shot. We all are different in what we like but I moved to Winston Salem in March of 2017 and I must say the scenery was absolutely beautiful and that’s what brought me there the beauty of the Carolinas. The beach and the mountains but it didn’t take me long to discover that I did not like the vibe there. It was very small town thinking - ish the people are sorta in a box and they can’t think outside the box. It’s more of a retirement town and it wasn’t long that I was totally bored with Winston. I am a realist and not everybody can deal with that I have to be honest with myself in order to proceed and figure out how I can deal with situations in a positive light. I was not allowed to be myself or have a opinion from the natives and if I did I was punished or told I was negative. I find that the people are intimidated by people from places other than there’s. they were scared of people from big victims so that was my experience but I hope you love it and enjoy it. If your from NYC you will find many ppl there so you can relate.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:59 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila greer View Post
I like to respond to the young lady who said that she is looking to move to Winston Salem soon. I certainly donít intend to be a negative Nancy neither do I wish to discourage you. By all means give it your best shot. We all are different in what we like but I moved to Winston Salem in March of 2017 and I must say the scenery was absolutely beautiful and thatís what brought me there the beauty of the Carolinas. The beach and the mountains but it didnít take me long to discover that I did not like the vibe there. It was very small town thinking - ish the people are sorta in a box and they canít think outside the box. Itís more of a retirement town and it wasnít long that I was totally bored with Winston. I am a realist and not everybody can deal with that I have to be honest with myself in order to proceed and figure out how I can deal with situations in a positive light. I was not allowed to be myself or have a opinion from the natives and if I did I was punished or told I was negative. I find that the people are intimidated by people from places other than thereís. they were scared of people from big victims so that was my experience but I hope you love it and enjoy it. If your from NYC you will find many ppl there so you can relate.
Winston Salem is NOT a retirement town. Retirees like the coast. The old people you saw are local.

Thankfully, the Triad is under the retire-from-up-north radar.

I'm sorry you were't allowed to be yourself.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:20 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
Quote:
I like to respond to the young lady who said that she is looking to move to Winston Salem soon. I certainly don’t intend to be a negative Nancy neither do I wish to discourage you. By all means give it your best shot. We all are different in what we like but I moved to Winston Salem in March of 2017 and I must say the scenery was absolutely beautiful and that’s what brought me there the beauty of the Carolinas. The beach and the mountains but it didn’t take me long to discover that I did not like the vibe there. It was very small town thinking - ish the people are sorta in a box and they can’t think outside the box. It’s more of a retirement town and it wasn’t long that I was totally bored with Winston. I am a realist and not everybody can deal with that I have to be honest with myself in order to proceed and figure out how I can deal with situations in a positive light. I was not allowed to be myself or have a opinion from the natives and if I did I was punished or told I was negative. I find that the people are intimidated by people from places other than there’s. they were scared of people from big victims so that was my experience but I hope you love it and enjoy it. If your from NYC you will find many ppl there so you can relate.
Bless your heart!

"I was not allowed to be myself". LOL, what does that even mean? I can easily see how you rubbed people the wrong way and made them not want to be around you. I don't think thats Winston-Salem's fault.

Last edited by BC1960; 12-03-2018 at 03:47 PM..

Old 12-03-2018, 05:22 PM

302 posts, read 536,988 times
Bless your heart is about right. For those that think happiness is always somewhere else, theyíre usually not happy with themselves. It might be an interesting assessment to learn where this person came from....and where he/she ended up? Not that I care to even know. Coming from someone who lives in Charlotte and works in Raleigh, Iíd take Winston-Salem over any city in the Carolinas!

Old 12-03-2018, 06:06 PM

29,902 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
I like to respond to the young lady who said that she is looking to move to Winston Salem soon. I certainly donít intend to be a negative Nancy neither do I wish to discourage you. By all means give it your best shot. We all are different in what we like but I moved to Winston Salem in March of 2017 and I must say the scenery was absolutely beautiful and thatís what brought me there the beauty of the Carolinas. The beach and the mountains but it didnít take me long to discover that I did not like the vibe there. It was very small town thinking - ish the people are sorta in a box and they canít think outside the box. Itís more of a retirement town and it wasnít long that I was totally bored with Winston. I am a realist and not everybody can deal with that I have to be honest with myself in order to proceed and figure out how I can deal with situations in a positive light. I was not allowed to be myself or have a opinion from the natives and if I did I was punished or told I was negative. I find that the people are intimidated by people from places other than thereís. they were scared of people from big victims so that was my experience but I hope you love it and enjoy it. If your from NYC you will find many ppl there so you can relate.
Sounds like you were one of those "this is how we did things back where I'm from" types. Yeah those type of people tend to wear out their welcome fast anywhere.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:52 PM

240 posts, read 226,051 times
Quote:
This. I'm a native and until I went to college, I didn't realize how staid my hometown was. Mind you that I had more fun in and met more people from different stripes in a town a fraction of its size. I feel Winston could have a more diverse and dynamic economy if they just took more risks, but they don't. I can only speak of my experiences, but I can see an element of W-S natives not really wanting to directly confront some not so positive things about our city. You can definitely see someone being iced out socially because of it. You can find small-minded people any and every where, so it that respect Winston's not that different from any where else. But, to me as a native, I just feel like a city of our size should be more cosmopolitan in vibe due to the number of residents. I think we still operate like a sleepy Southern Moravian tobacco town, it's changing--but it's slow.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:42 AM

29,902 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
This. I'm a native and until I went to college, I didn't realize how staid my hometown was. Mind you that I had more fun in and met more people from different stripes in a town a fraction of its size. I feel Winston could have a more diverse and dynamic economy if they just took more risks, but they don't. I can only speak of my experiences, but I can see an element of W-S natives not really wanting to directly confront some not so positive things about our city. You can definitely see someone being iced out socially because of it. You can find small-minded people any and every where, so it that respect Winston's not that different from any where else. But, to me as a native, I just feel like a city of our size should be more cosmopolitan in vibe due to the number of residents. I think we still operate like a sleepy Southern Moravian tobacco town, it's changing--but it's slow.
As an outsider looking in, I think the emboldened is a fair assessment. Winston-Salem used to be the state's premier business center and was competitive with Charlotte for a time after Charlotte surpassed it in population, but Winston-Salem's business and civic leaders seemed to have been more conservative in their approach to growth which is why Charlotte wound up picking off some of Winston-Salem's most notable businesses and institutions.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:26 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,888,275 times
Quote:

Bored? Yes!!

Too many Baptist conservatives too...self righteous and vicious gossips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or