U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 09:43 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
This. I'm a native and until I went to college, I didn't realize how staid my hometown was. Mind you that I had more fun in and met more people from different stripes in a town a fraction of its size. I feel Winston could have a more diverse and dynamic economy if they just took more risks, but they don't. I can only speak of my experiences, but I can see an element of W-S natives not really wanting to directly confront some not so positive things about our city. You can definitely see someone being iced out socially because of it. You can find small-minded people any and every where, so it that respect Winston's not that different from any where else. But, to me as a native, I just feel like a city of our size should be more cosmopolitan in vibe due to the number of residents. I think we still operate like a sleepy Southern Moravian tobacco town, it's changing--but it's slow.
The flip side of that is that many people would describe sleepy southern moravian tobacco town as charming, interesting and unique. Every coin has 2 sides. And I'm really not sure what "cosmopolitan" means? Between the country's oldest arts council, UNC School of the Arts, SECCA, Reynolda House Museum and the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts there's a lot of culture in W-S. Its not NYC or LA, but what medium sized city is?

There's a lot to like about W-S. Does every resident embrace a worldly view and accept every new idea? Of course not, but again, thats hardly unique to W-S. I think some people can't see the forest for the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 04:54 PM

240 posts, read 225,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
The flip side of that is that many people would describe sleepy southern moravian tobacco town as charming, interesting and unique. Every coin has 2 sides. And I'm really not sure what "cosmopolitan" means? Between the country's oldest arts council, UNC School of the Arts, SECCA, Reynolda House Museum and the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts there's a lot of culture in W-S. Its not NYC or LA, but what medium sized city is?

There's a lot to like about W-S. Does every resident embrace a worldly view and accept every new idea? Of course not, but again, thats hardly unique to W-S. I think some people can't see the forest for the trees.
Don't forget about the Delta Arts Center, as well. They have some really cool exhibits there, too. The arts scene in Winston is sizeable, but it doesn't really showcase many outside of the box exhibits. Most of the venues that you named typically don't deviate from a certain kind of art. I'm not sure who the curators in town are, but they certainly keep it "safe". I think you can retain most of those characteristics while evolving at a faster pace--culturally and economically. Cosmopolitan cities, in my opinion, are booming with all kinds of diversity and inclusion. You see people of all stripes--religions, genders, sexual orientations, races, abilities, etc. all interacting with each other in social settings. Unfortunately, I agree with the poster in that people tend to stay in their social bubbles in Winston more than other cities of comparable size in my experience.

Economically, think of place like Durham that has a very similar history as Winston. However, they have the DPAC and trendy, unique restaurants downtown--one that buttresses against the ball park. The DPAC hosts events across genres and tastes. Typically, Winston has very few of those types of venues of any size.

My brother and I often discuss this phenomena and we attribute the lack of this kind of dynamism to the fact that Winston is not a college town despite being home to four colleges. The colleges are small and cater to special groups. We've decided that a large public university presence tends to help cities/towns culturally and socially. We'll never be NYC or LA, I would never make that kind of comparison.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Don't forget about the Delta Arts Center, as well. They have some really cool exhibits there, too. The arts scene in Winston is sizeable, but it doesn't really showcase many outside of the box exhibits. Most of the venues that you named typically don't deviate from a certain kind of art. I'm not sure who the curators in town are, but they certainly keep it "safe". I think you can retain most of those characteristics while evolving at a faster pace--culturally and economically. Cosmopolitan cities, in my opinion, are booming with all kinds of diversity and inclusion. You see people of all stripes--religions, genders, sexual orientations, races, abilities, etc. all interacting with each other in social settings. Unfortunately, I agree with the poster in that people tend to stay in their social bubbles in Winston more than other cities of comparable size in my experience.
Ok, W-S is a somewhat conservative, mid-sized southern city. Agreed. <shrug> Name a similar city that is radically different. Greenville SC? Birmingham AL? Richmond VA? Louisville KY? I think your expectations are unrealistic. Durham and Asheville may be somewhat different, but tend to be the exception.

Quote:
Economically, think of place like Durham that has a very similar history as Winston. However, they have the DPAC and trendy, unique restaurants downtown--one that buttresses against the ball park. The DPAC hosts events across genres and tastes. Typically, Winston has very few of those types of venues of any size.
Durham County is fortunate to have a huge business tax base (most of RTP is in Durham County) so all that tax money is available to put into projects like DPAC. W-S doesn't have that advantage.

And I disagree about DPAC programming...their current schedule includes Elf, A Christmas Carol, Manheim Steamroller (!), The Nutcracker, Fiddler on the Roof...not exactly cutting edge. And downtown W-S has some great restaurants too.

Quote:
My brother and I often discuss this phenomena and we attribute the lack of this kind of dynamism to the fact that Winston is not a college town despite being home to four colleges. The colleges are small and cater to special groups. We've decided that a large public university presence tends to help cities/towns culturally and socially. We'll never be NYC or LA, I would never make that kind of comparison.
Durham doesn't have a large public university either. And I really don't think its significantly more dynamic than W-S.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Ok, W-S is a somewhat conservative, mid-sized southern city. Agreed. <shrug> Name a similar city that is radically different. Greenville SC? Birmingham AL? Richmond VA? Louisville KY? I think your expectations are unrealistic. Durham and Asheville may be somewhat different, but tend to be the exception.

Durham County is fortunate to have a huge business tax base (most of RTP is in Durham County) so all that tax money is available to put into projects like DPAC. W-S doesn't have that advantage.

And I disagree about DPAC programming...their current schedule includes Elf, A Christmas Carol, Manheim Steamroller (!), The Nutcracker, Fiddler on the Roof...not exactly cutting edge. And downtown W-S has some great restaurants too.

Durham doesn't have a large public university either. And I really don't think its significantly more dynamic than W-S.
I don't think they are that unrealistic. I never said I wanted us to be Charlotte or Raleigh. Greensboro isn't radically different, but it certainly is more dynamic than Winston to me. Greensboro has similar traits as Winston but just has more to do and going on; I know it's a little larger and demographically far more diverse. It also has a public university just like Asheville. But intra state city wars ain't my thing.

It's the holiday season. Family fare is to be expected. They also have hosted edgy comedians and different kinds of music during the the warmer concert going season. I fully understand that their proximity to RTP has helped them advance immensely. I didn't think I needed to say it, so I didn't. Winston's conservative and I'm not, so that's why growing up here felt limiting in certain respects. I was just noting that the person who posted that about Winston was not totally off base.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I don't think they are that unrealistic. I never said I wanted us to be Charlotte or Raleigh. Greensboro isn't radically different, but it certainly is more dynamic than Winston to me. Greensboro has similar traits as Winston but just has more to do and going on;

Like what?

I know it's a little larger and demographically far more diverse.

Data or stats to confirm that?

It's the holiday season. Family fare is to be expected. They also have hosted edgy comedians and different kinds of music during the the warmer concert going season. I fully understand that their proximity to RTP has helped them advance immensely. I didn't think I needed to say it, so I didn't. Winston's conservative and I'm not, so that's why growing up here felt limiting in certain respects. I was just noting that the person who posted that about Winston was not totally off base.
Conservative doesn't mean there's nothing to do. Ever caught a show at Ramkat? Gone to a Gallery Hop in the Arts District? Been to a performance at UNC School of the Arts? Attended a lecture at Wake Forest?

I just think the glass is half full, not half empty.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:03 PM

302 posts, read 536,849 times
Iíd bet good money no more than half these whiners have been to SECCA (not your run of the mill portraits in oil or bronze sculptures like the Copleyís and Calders at Reynolda), or toured MESDA ( probably donít even know what it is!!), a gallery opening in the Arts District, a race at Bowman Gray Stadium, a Wake football, soccer or basketball game, a seasonal dance production by the School of the Arts, an opera by Piedmont Opera, a show or concert at Reynolds Auditorium or the Millenium Center, or a Dash game. Some people just canít find a little satisfaction in their own life.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
I’d bet good money no more than half these whiners have been to SECCA (not your run of the mill portraits in oil or bronze sculptures like the Copley’s and Calders at Reynolda), or toured MESDA ( probably don’t even know what it is!!), a gallery opening in the Arts District, a race at Bowman Gray Stadium, a Wake football, soccer or basketball game, a seasonal dance production by the School of the Arts, an opera by Piedmont Opera, a show or concert at Reynolds Auditorium or the Millenium Center, or a Dash game. Some people just can’t find a little satisfaction in their own life.
Yep. Plus the National Black Theater Festival, RiverRun International Film Festival, live theater at the Stevens Center and Hanesbrands Theater. The grass is always greener elsewhere for many.

One may find W-S a segment of the population to be socially conservative, but to claim there are no artistic, free spirited, cosmopolitan people or to claim its its boring, uninteresting or offers nothing interesting to do is just absurd.

Last edited by BC1960; 12-07-2018 at 04:35 AM..

Old 12-07-2018, 01:18 PM

7,281 posts, read 13,521,972 times
I think we all may judge our hometowns more harshly than other places. We know where more of the bodies are buried.

I don’t find Winston to be particularly conservative or stifled compared to other cities its size. I’d say that UNCSA, Sawtooth, the Ramkat, various spots in Washington Park, the breweries, and SECCA are big parts of that for me personally. Plus I have kids and an 8 to 5, so dating and nightlife aren’t issues for me. Maybe my perspective would be different when I was 25, but when I was that age I lived in a city 10-15 times the size of Winston. I moved from there to here precisely because it was a little easier-going.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Conservative doesn't mean there's nothing to do. Ever caught a show at Ramkat? Gone to a Gallery Hop in the Arts District? Been to a performance at UNC School of the Arts? Attended a lecture at Wake Forest?

I just think the glass is half full, not half empty.
I've done all of those things. Ramkat was cool, but as someone with a wide taste in music it could offer more types of music. Conservative to me in terms of entertainment in Winston seems like most of the entertainment offered caters to certain types of people. I've gallery hopped more times than I can count. I used to work at UNCSA, so yeah. I used to work at WFU, so I've seen a plenty.

I'm not being a pessimist. But, when I started working in G'boro, I noticed a difference.

https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/depart...ultural-center

I don't see the same types of performance parks and performance types in G'boro. Why doesn't Winston Salem invest in a tax-funded space that supports visual and performance arts like this for people to teach their art. I've seen painting classes here and salsa lessons. Where is such a space in Winston? If it exists, it's not open to everyone.

https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/depart...ummer-programs

Look at all of that arts programming in one space open to everyone. Winston just ain't got that. Also, First Fridays is lit! You see all types downtown socializing and mingling. One of the spas that host First Fridays along with other downtown businesses with free food/wine even had a drag show. That's not something I've seen on Trade St.

https://cnnc.uncg.edu/immigrant-demo...ilford-county/

As far as demographics for the area. Here you go. I'm in library school, so I don't often speak to things that I don't know about. The Super G Mart is so cool. We have a few international markets, but obviously far fewer international folks than G'boro.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I've done all of those things. Ramkat was cool, but as someone with a wide taste in music it could offer more types of music. Conservative to me in terms of entertainment in Winston seems like most of the entertainment offered caters to certain types of people. I've gallery hopped more times than I can count. I used to work at UNCSA, so yeah. I used to work at WFU, so I've seen a plenty.
How about the Werehouse? https://www.wherehousearthotel.com/events

Or Monstercade?: https://www.facebook.com/monstercadebar

Quote:
I don't see the same types of performance parks and performance types in G'boro. Why doesn't Winston Salem invest in a tax-funded space that supports visual and performance arts like this for people to teach their art. I've seen painting classes here and salsa lessons. Where is such a space in Winston? If it exists, it's not open to everyone.
Here ya go: https://www.sawtooth.org/

Quote:
Also, First Fridays is lit! You see all types downtown socializing and mingling. One of the spas that host First Fridays along with other downtown businesses with free food/wine even had a drag show. That's not something I've seen on Trade St.
Trade Street? You're proving your lack of knowledge. Its now Summer on Liberty, plus Downtown Jazz at Corpening Plaza. Sorry there aren't any drag shows.

Quote:
As far as demographics for the area. Here you go.
That doesn't prove G'boro to is more diverse than W-S.

You really have blinders on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or