U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 08:00 AM

10,281 posts, read 4,859,674 times

Advertisements

It sounds perfect - what about hospital and doctors? I know when I lived in Mount Olive there was one doctor in the whole town for 5,000 people and the nearest hospital was 30 minutes away.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 08:07 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,656,439 times
W-S is one of the BEST places to live in NC for medical care with Wake Forest Medical School and WFU Baptist Hospital, as well as Novant. Lots of excellent choices for doctors, and excellent hospitals.

I lived in W-S for many years until we moved in 2008 due to hubby's job. I love where I am in the NC mountains, but if the stars were to re-align, I'd move back to W-S in a heartbeat. As I approach retirement age, health care is a consideration and that's the least of my concerns about W-S. In fact, it would be an incentive.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:50 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,523,592 times
Yes. As Roadpony just said, Winston is one of the best places in NC to live when I comes to quality healthcare options. The two hospitals in Winston (Wake Forest Baptist and Novant Health Forsyth) are among the largest in the state and both have earned a great deal of renown. The healthcare situation couldn't be MORE different than what you experienced in Mount Olive.

Winston-Salem has something like 235,000 residents in the city limits and 700,000 ish in the metro. Add in the adjacent Greensboro metro and you're talking about 1.5million people. It's a far cry from Mount Olive, all without feeling too big or rat-racy.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:20 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times
Wake Forest Baptist is ranked the #2 hospital in NC (Best Hospitals in North Carolina | US News Hospital Rankings), a Level 1 trauma center, and is nationally ranked in several specialties (https://www.brennerchildrens.org/New...rld-Report.htm). It was also recently ranked the top cancer center in NC (#17 nationally) ahead of Duke (#27 nationally). It is the largest employer in Forsyth County with 12,500 employees.

Novant Health is headquartered in Winston-Salem...it has over 1,200 doctors and 25,000 employees in 500 locations and in 14 medical centers (including Forsyth Medical). It is the second largest employer in Forsyth County with more than 8,000 employees.

As far as number of beds, Novant Forsyth Medical is ranked third and Wake Forest Baptist sixth in NC. You really can't go wrong with this area if you're in health care...Winston Salem really excels among smaller metros in this area.

WFBMC

wake forest baptist aerial - Bing images

Novant Forsyth Medical Center

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...7o0&ajaxhist=0

Old 05-14-2016, 06:25 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
If you want to live in a huge megalopolis, Winston Salem is not for you.

Winston has plenty of everything that reasonable people need, and a lot of what they want. Plus there is always Amazon Prime!

The location is great, with better access to the mountains than the coast, but at least to most I know, that is the preferred order after you have been here awhile.

Winston is neither NYC, or LA but it is a great small city with an arts scene way more complete and diverse than you would ever expect!

Good luck.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:33 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
If you want to live in a huge megalopolis, Winston Salem is not for you.

Winston has plenty of everything that reasonable people need, and a lot of what they want. Plus there is always Amazon Prime!

The location is great, with better access to the mountains than the coast, but at least to most I know, that is the preferred order after you have been here awhile.

Winston is neither NYC, or LA but it is a great small city with an arts scene way more complete and diverse than you would ever expect!

Good luck.

I'm glad you cleared that up about Winston-Salem...people often confuse it with NYC and LA. I mean, does that even need to be said?

Old 08-19-2016, 07:16 AM

10,281 posts, read 4,859,674 times
I really miss having four seasons. We lived in Mount Olive, Goldsboro and then Kinston. While we did get some very cold weather it didn't last long and we rarely got much snow. What is like there in WS? My 29 year old son would be coming with me along with his 7 year old daughter. Are there job opportunities for guys without a degree? What are the schools like? I know they weren't very good in the three cities where we lived.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:26 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I really miss having four seasons. We lived in Mount Olive, Goldsboro and then Kinston. While we did get some very cold weather it didn't last long and we rarely got much snow. What is like there in WS? My 29 year old son would be coming with me along with his 7 year old daughter. Are there job opportunities for guys without a degree? What are the schools like? I know they weren't very good in the three cities where we lived.
Yes W-S experiences all 4 seasons, and generally has 2 or 3 snow storms each winter, along with (or in combination with) an ice storm or two. The schools vary from great to poor, just like in most of NC's larger cities. Almost all the schools are better than towns you have lived in.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:45 AM

102 posts, read 158,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
I don't know how you missed them, but there are tons of non-chain and ethnic restaurants in W-S, and downtown has the highest concentration of restaurants in the city. Did you walk down 4th Street? Its lined with restaurants. Just downtown there's 6th and Vine, Hutch and Harris, Bibs, Downtown Thai, Finnigan's Wake, Foothills Brewing, King's Crab Shack, Local 27101, Senor Bravo, Skippy's, West End Cafe, Willows, Quanto Basta, and many more. Outside of downtown there's german, great mexican, nc bbq, indian, thai, etc.
Thank you for this!!! This will come in handy if I'm out that way in January-March.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:55 PM

819 posts, read 1,014,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
Basically this. Asian food is just simply not a strong point anywhere in North Carolina (with some exceptions, but they are scattered).
Wouldn't really say "scattered" seeing as how the whole of market street in Greensboro is mainly asian resturants/business (with a few european resturants in between) not to mention Fanta City international mall/Super G. All in one convenient place. GSO also has a pretty large asian population.

I have still yet to find, better tasting pho than the pho i had eatten in pho grill inside Super G. Not to mention the tonkatsu and yakisouba.

Reason i say this is because Winston is so close to Greensboro, if you can't find it in W-S, more then likely you will find it in GSO.

While not having to drive to Charlotte or raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or