U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,228 times

Advertisements

First, let me thank everyone for their thoughtful and helpful comments. I'm trying to figure out how to ask what I want to know without sounding like a jerk.

I am a native of Palo Alto and have lived in San Francisco sinc 1979 (the west side, near GGPark -- to deep in the summer chilly "fog belt" -- but more "suburban San Francisco" -- with more room, quiet, lots of open space, etc.)

My husband and I are thinking of selling because the market is beyond insane crazy...and also because our 1924 property needs probably $100K of work (hard to believe, but any kind of painting/construction here is probably 10x what you'd have in other cities). I LOVE my city...but it's feeling more and more that it's been seized by outsiders and "carpetbaggers" who have no feel or love for the city and what made it wonderful is being destroyed so quickly.

Won't bore you with details about what I see being lost...but even a lifelong San Francisco Democrat like myself can't help but shake her head and say that people have lost their minds...on the other hand, I now nothing of heat, snow...(though I am used to running the heat in July and August...)

We are very tolerant person and the multi-ethnicity of San Francisco is, to us, 90% blessing and 10% annoyance. Also, I have always felt very safe here -- and I was a single woman all my life until I married two years ago at age 57. I went out at night to plays, concerts at The Fillmore, movies, bars...am very active and have hiked and run alone in Golden Gate Park (3 doors away, and larger than Central Park in NYC) probably 4x a week all my life... never had a single problem, ever (even though GGPark is filled with homeless people living in the shrubs -- I'm not stupid, run in open spaces, don't go out at night in shoes I can't run in or kick off, don't carry a purse, etc.)

I have never -- and would never -- own a gun, and neither would my husband.

Believe it or not, I have never done drugs in my life (smoked dope maybe 4x...last time 20 years ago).

What I worry about is moving to a town that:
1. Is intolerant of people of other ethnicities/relgions
2. Is full of people who are armed (a cousins very nice sons live in a suburb of Kansas City and told me 5 years ago that they never go to the mall without carrying their guns -- I was speechless -- and terrified.)
3. Have "attitudes" about the "place" of women (both my husband and I hold graduate degrees)
4. Doesn't offer much opportunity for music, art (people posting here have said the W-S has a nice arts scene)
5. eWE will be viewed as an "outsiders" if I don't join a particular church (my husband was raised in both the Jewish and Catholic traditions; we are both semi-practicing Roman Catholics...but we think of that as the religious tradition that we were raised in and are most comfortable in...and think that anytime people come together to try to be kinder, more grateful people who do good in the world, that is a fine thing!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 04:15 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,526,501 times
Sfinsf: I don't think you'll have a problem finding what you're looking for in Winston proper. I've encountered Gun nuts, but most don't live in town, necessarily. Wake Forest, UNCSA, Salem College, WSSU, the hospitals, etc., bring in a fair number of transplants and encourage a progressive (though very moderate) vibe. We're pretty moderately left-leaning lapsed Episcopalians and we love it here. If folks like Melissa Harris-Perry and Maya Angelou (during her life) can be happy in Winston-Salem, I think you've got a shot.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:09 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,746,889 times
SFinSF: You should have an easy time fitting in. . . as long as you remain tolerant, too. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:43 PM

45 posts, read 62,267 times
SFinSF: I'm a North Carolina native but lived in the Bay Area for eight years. Before you sell your house, I would suggest renting an apartment here in Winston-Salem for six months (or however long makes sense to you) to try it out. You could always go back to SF if you felt the area wasn't for you. But if you sell your house, you will probably never be able to go back, prices being what they are. Make sure there are not things you would miss about San Francisco. I love it here in Winston-Salem, but I could understand how this area might feel foreign to someone used to living in San Francisco. It is very, very different, in ways that you would only become aware of over a period of time. If you try it out here for a while and love it, then you know what to do. By the way, I don't know what predictions are regarding home value in San Francisco, so it's probably best to consult a real estate agent or someone in-the-know about this plan before you do it, but it seems like Bay Area prices just keep going up and up. Good luck to you! I hope you find what you are looking for!

Old 09-15-2017, 12:40 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,435,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraj View Post
Sfinsf: Yes, many people all over America own guns, for better or for worse. Winston-Salem is no different.

And yes, some people in America still have common sense and don't believe women should be men. Coming from the 'progressive' cesspool that is San Francisco, I'm sure that would be quite a shock. On a positive note for you, there were plenty of gender-confused characters in Winston-Salem last time I was there.

Feel free to hit the road back to SF if you find the whole male/female thing unpleasant.
WTF? Why do you have to be rude? The OP didn't mention "gender confused", what compelled you to bring it up? Your own latent gender confusion perhaps?

Last edited by BC1960; 09-15-2017 at 01:23 PM..

Old 09-15-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Approximately 50% of Winston-Salem is a slum and Winston-Salem has more than it's fair share of crime for a city it's size.

If you exclude the historic neighborhood of Old Salem, it's also a fairly unattractive city. It's not as depressing or ugly as most cities in the northeast and midwest, but it's still very 'industrial' in appearance.

The weather is better than Cleveland but worse than virtually anywhere south or east of the Triad.

As in most of the US, there is an extreme over-abundance of morbidly obese and physically unattractive women everywhere you turn, which basically means that 90% of women look like either Chris Farley or Madea.
Absurd and completely false over-generalizations. Go away troll.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
BC1960: Given your level of outrage, it appears you may be more than just latently gender-confused.
LOL, that makes so much sense. About as logical as your other ridiculous posts.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
BC1960: Of course they're generalizations. They're also very accurate generalizations. I'm no troll. YOU go away.
They are completely false, troll boy/girl.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Quit lying. You're apparently one of the people I was referring to.
Oh gosh, you got me!

Old 09-16-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I know!
Very weak responses. Try to come up with something at least marginally original and creative, will ya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or