U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:07 AM

822 posts, read 1,017,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Both cities have lots of Mexican options, but G'boro has Ethiopian, Egyptian, Laotian, Jamaican and Korean.

I've heard Stephanie's and Stephanie's II in G'boro are great for southern/soul food.
greensboro is more cultural than winston-Salem, W-S has a more traditional down south charm when it comes to local cuisine and shopping, Greensboro's population is alot more scattered so it caters to a more international crowd.. which is why you see many international large super markets like mings world market, super G, korea Supermarket(great prices, but everything is in korean so get ready for a culter shock) or small scattered hindu markets and japanese markets, resturants etc.

I prefer winston salem's bbq to greensboro hands down

But if i want rare authentic japanese snacks, toys, trinkets isle after isle..or even random japanese cleaning products or tiny cooking stoves or even...jpop and kpop cd's, super G Is right around the corner... or if i want to surround myself in a huge japanese arcade with authentic photo booths and pachinko machines.. and speakers blaring jpop and ani songs, i'll hit up round 1 lmao.

Each city has they're own strength, however they are VERY different experiences. And offer unique takes on culture.

Winston offers a more southern charm, with an incredible arts scene.
Greensboro offers a more diverse cultural charm(with a hint of culter shock)

That's my take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 03:03 PM

3,115 posts, read 4,147,485 times
Winston seems less Southern to me. But it does not seem as international. At the same time, Winston is more hipster, particularly center city.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Winston seems less Southern to me. But it does not seem as international. At the same time, Winston is more hipster, particularly center city.
winston in my opinion is more hipster-ish than durham or ashville.

Alittle slice of seattle.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:50 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,105,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post

After living in the PNW for several years, I would say a VERY little slice. lol

And isn't Asheville the hipster capital of NC?

Old 04-24-2018, 04:58 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,526,501 times
Quote:

I think you’re overstating it.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:19 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,013,641 times
Quote:

I'm just curious as to how you've come to that opinion?

I can't see it, but maybe I'm missing something.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm just curious as to how you've come to that opinion?

I can't see it, but maybe I'm missing something.
how it's more hippsterish then durham or ashville?

Or why it's alittle(tiny) peice of seattle?

Old 04-25-2018, 02:48 PM

86 posts, read 60,681 times
Everyone knows my love for Winston. But I couldn't even say "it's a little slice of Seattle".. maybe after a 8th cocktail and squinting real hard on a Saturday night downtown but then that would even be a stretch. Lol.. !

Old 04-25-2018, 08:30 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,013,641 times
Quote:
how it's more hippsterish then durham or ashville?

Or why it's alittle(tiny) peice of seattle?
Well yes, that was my question to you since you were the one with that observation.

And there may be a very good reason for stating it that way, but I'm having a hard time seeing that connection. So I'd be curious to hear.

I do know that Winston-Salem has a very solid arts community, especially as the home community of the NC School of the Arts. But I see it as a meat and potatoes kind of town overall (which isn't a bad thing). Saying it's not a hipster community is actually okay, because when I think of hipsterism, I think of people who latch on to artsy trends but don't really have depth to them beyond a current fad. I think Winston-Salem's arts culture goes deeper than that. I'm not saying that Durham or Asheville totally fit the hipster mold either, but I get a more profound sense for it in those place than Winston-Salem, especially among the well heeled transient populations in those cities.

But I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Well yes, that was my question to you since you were the one with that observation.

And there may be a very good reason for stating it that way, but I'm having a hard time seeing that connection. So I'd be curious to hear.

I do know that Winston-Salem has a very solid arts community, especially as the home community of the NC School of the Arts. But I see it as a meat and potatoes kind of town overall (which isn't a bad thing). Saying it's not a hipster community is actually okay, because when I think of hipsterism, I think of people who latch on to artsy trends but don't really have depth to them beyond a current fad. I think Winston-Salem's arts culture goes deeper than that. I'm not saying that Durham or Asheville totally fit the hipster mold either, but I get a more profound sense for it in those place than Winston-Salem, especially among the well heeled transient populations in those cities.

But I'd like to hear your thoughts.
i guess because the types of people iv'e run into in winston, to me, gave off a more hipster vibe then i encounted in durham and ashville, ashville was more hippies and free spirit types, in durham there were hipsters but not like i found in winston around all the art shops and back street cafes, with people trying to fit into the local art scene.

Now my comment about a small seattle? I completely retract that statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or