Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:06 PM

261 posts, read 376,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchip55 View Post
@UnderTheLiveOaks now that you mentioned food delivery, I have to say in general I was surprised that for a city of a quarter million, that WS did not have more restaurants. Oh I saw plenty of fast food places, but I didn't see a whole lot of ethnic food, particularly Thai or Vietnamese....in fact I think I only saw one listing for a Thai place when I looked online and that is my favorite food Even in the downtown area, there weren't hardly any restaurants...I did have breakfast at Mary's Diner, lunch at Sweet Potatoes, and dinner at Mozelle's, but it feels like I covered all downtown dining with that! I was thinking about this as I left work last night in Seattle and really noticed the sheer number AND variety of restaurants here...I actually think we have too many restaurants whereas I would like to see more of other types of businesses as these days the only new buildings that go up are restaurants and condos. Yes, people need a place to live and somewhere to eat, but they need businesses to work in to have the former. Unfortunately, the volume of restaurants and competition does not lead to lower prices, not when Seattle has raised the minimum wage to $20/hr another thing that doesn't make sense. Personally, I don't believe that unskilled work like flipping burgers should make that wage when I have friends who are teachers with degrees who don't make that for work that is frankly more important. It's also not sustainable as what do restaurant owners do, charge high prices to cover such high wages. When I was a student I worked these kinds of jobs, but they were not meant to be permanent jobs to raise a family on...but the mentality of Seattleites insist low or no skilled jobs have to be paid this highly.

Enjoy the holiday weekend good people of Winston Salem!
I don't know how you missed them, but there are tons of non-chain and ethnic restaurants in W-S, and downtown has the highest concentration of restaurants in the city. Did you walk down 4th Street? Its lined with restaurants. Just downtown there's 6th and Vine, Hutch and Harris, Bibs, Downtown Thai, Finnigan's Wake, Foothills Brewing, King's Crab Shack, Local 27101, Senor Bravo, Skippy's, West End Cafe, Willows, Quanto Basta, and many more. Outside of downtown there's german, great mexican, nc bbq, indian, thai, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:04 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,313,077 times
While I stand by my previous assertion that I could deal with a few more types of restaurants, I think you have barely scratched the surface of restaurants in Winston. Mary's, mozelles, and sweet potatoes are all good, but there are hundreds of other options, sometimes crammed into unlikely areas you haven't discovered yet.

So while I see areas for improvement here, don't think you've got our food scene completely cracked just yet

Old 02-13-2016, 06:45 AM

73 posts, read 138,399 times
CChip55, you will need a car to get to this one, but in my opinion, the best Thai restaurant in the Winston-Salem area is Chang Thai in Clemmons, in the shopping center across from the entrance to Tanglewood Park. Ichiban at Thruway (which is run by a lovely family, I might add) also has good Japanese-style food, as does Sushi Thai near Thruway. One thing I miss about the San Francisco Bay Area is the sheer variety of delicious, cheap, hole-in-the-wall Asian eats. I know what you mean when you say that it would be nice to have more good Asian food around, but for a city of its size, Winston-Salem has some decent dining options. It is not comparable to the variety you'll find in Seattle or San Francisco (especially the Asian food), but that is to be expected given the size of the city and the fact that we're on the Eastern side of the U.S. Phoenix restaurant in Greensboro is also good for Chinese food if you feel like a drive.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:21 AM

536 posts, read 634,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchip55 View Post
Oh I saw plenty of fast food places, but I didn't see a whole lot of ethnic food, particularly Thai or Vietnamese....in fact I think I only saw one listing for a Thai place when I looked online and that is my favorite food Even in the downtown area, there weren't hardly any restaurants...

Enjoy the holiday weekend good people of Winston Salem!
As previously mentioned, there actually is a Thai restaurant right in Downtown Winston. It's called Downtown Thai. It's known for being overpriced though, and primarily gets business from the office lunch crowd.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:23 AM

By the way, you should try the Tavern in Old Salem if/when you come back. It's currently the highest-rated restaurant in W-S on TripAdvisor, in a walkable location from Downtown on Main St. or the Strollway, has reasonable lunch prices, and I love it!

Old 02-14-2016, 04:20 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,969,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
As previously mentioned, there actually is a Thai restaurant right in Downtown Winston. It's called Downtown Thai. It's known for being overpriced though, and primarily gets business from the office lunch crowd.
There is even a Thai restaurant in Clemmons, one on Jonestown Road, Healy Drive, Silas Creek Pkwy, and one in Pfafftown to name a few...so there are more throughout the city than just the one downtown.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
There is even a Thai restaurant in Clemmons, one on Jonestown Road, Healy Drive, Silas Creek Pkwy, and one in Pfafftown to name a few...so there are more throughout the city than just the one downtown.
Correct, but she was discussing the lack of restaurants downtown and the lack of Thai restaurants.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:43 AM

261 posts, read 376,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
Correct, but she was discussing the lack of restaurants downtown and the lack of Thai restaurants.
I don't think so. This is what the OP said:

"I have to say in general I was surprised that for a city of a quarter million, that WS did not have more restaurants. Oh I saw plenty of fast food places, but I didn't see a whole lot of ethnic food, particularly Thai or Vietnamese....in fact I think I only saw one listing for a Thai place when I looked online and that is my favorite food."

He/she then went on to talk about downtown. Clearly, the initial comment is regarding the city as a whole.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
I don't think so. This is what the OP said:

"I have to say in general I was surprised that for a city of a quarter million, that WS did not have more restaurants. Oh I saw plenty of fast food places, but I didn't see a whole lot of ethnic food, particularly Thai or Vietnamese....in fact I think I only saw one listing for a Thai place when I looked online and that is my favorite food."

He/she then went on to talk about downtown. Clearly, the initial comment is regarding the city as a whole.
Correct about what she meant, but I was pointing out that it's funny she found there to be a lack of Thai restaurants in the city plus a lack of restaurants downtown when there actually is a Downtown Thai restaurant (plus other Thai restaurants outside of downtown and other non-Thai restaurants downtown). Of course it's easy for a visitor to miss it but it's funny that there is a restaurant that fits in the overlapping part of a Venn Diagram of her restaurant observations.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:01 PM

169 posts, read 335,458 times
I did check out restaurants downtown, as mentioned I ate at Mary's Diner, Sweet Potatoeos, and Mozelles, but I honestly don't feel like there was a lot for a downtown in a city of WS size. I am glad that people mentioned some Thai places, but I found it funny that a number of people mentioned one in Clemmons as that's not even in WS. You have to understand that where I am currently there is a Thai place on every block, just like there is a Starbucks on every block. I did Google Thai restaurants online, but as shunketsu mentioned the Thai restaurant downtown is waaay overpriced and when I looked at the menus for Thai restaurants outside of downtown, many didn't seem authentic, kind of like PF Chang's is not really Chinese food

I also noticed that I don't think anyone recommended any Vietnamese places, and that confuses me as I read somewhere that there is a Vietnamese population in WS, so was hoping that community would open some more places...I think I only came across one pho place in my research.

However, as SanMateo Mom said, WS is on the east coast and therefore I can't expect the plethora of Asian food there that we have in the West as being so much closer to Asia. Plus, I also lived in Bangkok so I am a little spoiled when it comes to great 'hole-in-the-wall' tasty and cheap Thai food.

Appreciate the suggestions and I will be sure to try some of them out next time I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point