U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 11:07 AM

5 posts, read 4,968 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was just accepted to a grad program at Winston Salem State University. I really don't know anything about Winston-Salem so I was wondering about safety in the immediate area. Would I be able to mostly avoid bad areas if I were to attend school at WSSU? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 12:07 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,523,592 times
WSSU isn't in the best part of town, frankly. The immediate areas, especially to the north and south of campus, aren't great. To the immediate east of campus is mostly park space, and to the west of campus (on the other side of 52) are Old Salem (which isn't a place you'd live. It's kind of a living museum village, and what housing there is is quite expensive), West Salem and, on the far side of Peter's Creek Parkway, Ardmore. These areas are better than what's immediately around WSSU, though residents do experience some minor property crime (car breakins and such). To the northwest of WSSU, you have downtown Winston-Salem, which is becoming quite a nice place to live, though housing is fairly expensive.

So I don't know any area that's walkable to WSSU that I'd recommend, but maybe someone here knows better than me. If you're open to driving 10 minutes or so, you have lots of options.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:22 PM

I would definitely be driving. I guess i'm wondering about the area that it's directly in. Like the blocks immediately surrounding/bordering it

Old 02-05-2016, 01:26 PM

I'm thinking more in terms of how it would be going to campus every day.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:29 AM

261 posts, read 263,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skb25 View Post
I'm thinking more in terms of how it would be going to campus every day.
You'll be fine.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:33 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,523,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
You'll be fine.
Yeah. You'll be parking on campus and there's security, etc. You'll be perfectly fine on campus. I thought you were talking about off campus living arrangements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or