U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:23 PM

10 posts, read 7,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That is the kind of commute that most folks are willing to do on a temporary basis (maybe in school in Greensboro or vice-versa, living in G-boro and in school in Durham). Most folks wouldn't want to do that on a daily basis, but I'm sure there are some couples who have to. I don't think most people would want to sustain it long term. They'd be looking for new jobs in one place or the other.
This is something I'm trying to think about. I don't think I could do it for 5+ years, but maybe few years? I definitely would not make the drive Monday - Friday. This would be 3 days usually, sometimes 4. Some of the days would be weekends so I'm hoping to avoid rush hour all together and focus on the actual distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 12:26 PM

1,450 posts, read 876,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.paws View Post
I appreciate the input. My husband is focusing his job search in the Triangle area. That is where we decided to relocate after visiting (I haven't visited Greensboro, so there's a chance I would like it there too, but for now we're sticking to the plan). My job search is also focused on Raleigh/Durham, I'm just trying to decide if this other opportunity would be worth the drive.
Durham is far sweeter than ole Greensboro!

Old 02-11-2016, 12:39 PM

113 posts, read 88,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
Durham is far sweeter than ole Greensboro!
Just curious but what is this even based on? Lets not act like "sweet" ol Durham doesnt have some of the worst crime in the state. Not to knock Durham but...

Old 02-11-2016, 05:39 PM

10,688 posts, read 11,310,925 times
Quote:
This is something I'm trying to think about. I don't think I could do it for 5+ years, but maybe few years? I definitely would not make the drive Monday - Friday. This would be 3 days usually, sometimes 4. Some of the days would be weekends so I'm hoping to avoid rush hour all together and focus on the actual distance.
Yeah, I think if you wanted to take the job with that in mind it could work. Hour long commutes are just not the norm around here at all and that would get old fast. For a couple of years I think it could be doable.

Greensboro does have some nice stuff happening. I prefer Durham, but there's good stuff in G-boro, too, and some nice new growth. I'm not a huge proponent of growth for the sake of growth (ala Charlotte), but you don't want a town to stagnate either (ala Fayetteville). Greensboro is a nice mix of some interesting stuff going on downtown, but not just ripping down all the old buildings and building new tall buildings (Charlotte) or putting chain restaurants on every corner. There's some good local Greensboro feel. That said, I do like Durham better, but that's probably another thread in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill forum.

Hillsborough definitely is worth looking at if you have any interest in smaller towns at all. It's very vibrant, got some great restaurants, a nice art scene, very literary (home to many authors), historic, and within very easy driving distance of Durham (15 min) and Chapel Hill (20 min) for events and not a bad commute to Greensboro (45 min).

Old 02-11-2016, 05:40 PM

10,688 posts, read 11,310,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
Just curious but what is this even based on? Lets not act like "sweet" ol Durham doesnt have some of the worst crime in the state. Not to knock Durham but...
Thread in the NC forum says Rocky Mount has the highest murder rate in the state. Fayetteville is up there, too. Most of Durham is very safe. I am over there probably every week or two and don't think twice about it. I feel absolutely as safe as I do in Greensboro.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:33 PM

113 posts, read 88,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Thread in the NC forum says Rocky Mount has the highest murder rate in the state. Fayetteville is up there, too. Most of Durham is very safe. I am over there probably every week or two and don't think twice about it. I feel absolutely as safe as I do in Greensboro.
You're right about Rocky Mount but notice I said Durham has "some" of the worst crime in the state. For example, homicides nearly DOUBLED in 2015 from the previous year (Durham homicides almost doubled in past year :: WRAL.com). I don't doubt that most of these killings are confined to a few areas of the city but that's still a VERY troubling statistic no matter where we're talking about.

Back to the original topic. I had a very similar schedule to the OP for about 2 years. Traveling from the extreme eastern part of Greensboro to Chapel Hill 3-4 days per week. It took me about 45 minutes (but I'll admit I was a speed demon). Its definitely doable but a lot depends on the individual and how much tolerance for the commute they have.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:51 PM

10 posts, read 7,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post

Back to the original topic. I had a very similar schedule to the OP for about 2 years. Traveling from the extreme eastern part of Greensboro to Chapel Hill 3-4 days per week. It took me about 45 minutes (but I'll admit I was a speed demon). Its definitely doable but a lot depends on the individual and how much tolerance for the commute they have.
This is super helpful, thanks. I'd like to hear about other's experiences, where they're starting/heading, and how long it actually takes. Is there a lot of traffic along the way? Are accidents, construction or other reasons for traffic to slow down common?

Old 02-11-2016, 09:02 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,269,544 times
Quote:
I have no idea what this means.

The smaller towns in between don't really appeal to us, we're trying to avoid total suburbia.
Greensboro is progressive, but it has more people who are actually from NC. In this case, some say the Triad feels a bit more southern. The Raleigh/Durham area has tons of transplants due to RTP.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:09 PM

139 posts, read 125,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Honestly speaking, Having lived in both, Greensboro is much larger and has more things to do than Durham....
Durham is projected to pass Greensboro in population by 2022, so I wouldn't say 'much larger'. I also disagree with the second part but I know different people have different ideas of entertainment.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:43 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,118,807 times
If you're looking at Raleigh and Durham, you should check out the Amtrak schedules. The train ride to Greensboro is about an hour from Durham but the schedules might make it a little bit of a stretch for round-trip commuting unless you're ok with a longer or short than usual work day. However, if you can work around that the fare isn't ridiculous and you can also get a 10 ride multi-ticket that makes it slightly cheaper.

That way, you could live in downtown Durham and likely walk or bike to the station and not get caught in suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point