Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:53 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
And I have more experience than you, lol. You really need to grow up and stop taking any perceived criticisms of G'boro as a personal slight aimed at you. It isn't, and its a ridiculous attitude.

In case you haven't noticed, Kotis hasn't actually committed to anything, nor to a specific timeline. He has a track record of taking a long time to get projects moving.

That tells me there may be too many empty apartments in G'boro to make this project a reality. That's what it tells anyone with knowledge of real estate. And that's what it should tell you.
first of all I'm not the one planning this project so I assume you think you know more than Mr Marty Kotis just like you know more than Roy Carroll. Secondly construction on the first phase is on a timeline and will begin either this year or early next year. You seem to make it a hobby to belittle anything Greensboro does that is large in scope and call it a pipe dream. You sound like one of those posters over at WSTB who hate Greensboro with passion and are obsessed with Winston-Salem beating out Greensboro.

Greensboro is growing and with growth comes larger developments. Thats the case with any city and Greensboro is no different. At some point Greensboro is going to start seeing these kind of projects (which is already happening with Bellemeade Village downtown).

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-12-2016 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 04:12 AM

261 posts, read 380,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
first of all I'm not the one planning this project so I assume you think you know more than Mr Marty Kotis just like you know more than Roy Carroll. Secondly construction on the first phase is on a timeline and will begin either this year or early next year. You seem to make it a hobby to belittle anything Greensboro does that is large in scope and call it a pipe dream. You sound like one of those posters over at WSTB who hate Greensboro with passion and are obsessed with Winston-Salem beating out Greensboro.

Greensboro is growing and with growth comes larger developments. Thats the case with any city and Greensboro is no different. At some point Greensboro is going to start seeing these kind of projects (which is already happening with Bellemeade Village downtown).
Um, yeah, i kinda know you're not the the one planning this development, but the point is that you act like you are. If you perceive any whiff of criticism of these projects you immediately go into personal attack mode. Its great that you are so excited about them, but some of us have been around the block a time or two, and realize that not everything is always as it seems on the surface.

Kotis has actually said he "hopes" to begin construction on phase 1 this year or next. So we'll see. I hope he does. And we'll also see if he asks for some public assistance. He may, he may not, but decks are expensive, and they have to be paid for somehow.

I don't "seem" to make it a hobby to bash G'boro, because I don't actually do that. Nothing I've ever posted can be considered bashing G'boro. (And I have no idea what WSTB is, by the way) It may interest you to know I am a native of G'boro, grew up there, still visit it frequently, and have a very long family history there. My great grandfather was mayor of G'boro over a century ago. I love the place and hope for nothing more than to see it succeed and prosper. So you can drop the "hater" crap. It doesn't apply in any way, shape or form.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
Um, yeah, i kinda know you're not the the one planning this development, but the point is that you act like you are. If you perceive any whiff of criticism of these projects you immediately go into personal attack mode. Its great that you are so excited about them, but some of us have been around the block a time or two, and realize that not everything is always as it seems on the surface.

Kotis has actually said he "hopes" to begin construction on phase 1 this year or next. So we'll see. I hope he does. And we'll also see if he asks for some public assistance. He may, he may not, but decks are expensive, and they have to be paid for somehow.

I don't "seem" to make it a hobby to bash G'boro, because I don't actually do that. Nothing I've ever posted can be considered bashing G'boro. (And I have no idea what WSTB is, by the way) It may interest you to know I am a native of G'boro, grew up there, still visit it frequently, and have a very long family history there. My great grandfather was mayor of G'boro over a century ago. I love the place and hope for nothing more than to see it succeed and prosper. So you can drop the "hater" crap. It doesn't apply in any way, shape or form.
You started the attacks not me. Acting like as I'm planning it? What are you talking about? As far as kotis, keep in mind a totally built out project won't happen any time soon. With the hotel and all, Kotis says it could take 10 years to complete all of the phases. Parking decks are expensive, but it's not impossible to build them without public assistance. In fact Bellemeade Village is a pretty large project that will have apartments on top of a parking structure and Mr Carroll is building that project fine without public assistance. One reason why these projects are becoming more feasible for the city is because of higher paying jobs with companies such as HondaJet coming to the area. There is also a greater desire to live a more urban lifestyle.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:28 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
A $50M budget for this project? Should raise a lot of questions...

Old 02-13-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
A $50M budget for this project? Should raise a lot of questions...
That's about the same price for a similar size project in downtown Greensboro (Bellemeade Village) and it's under construction. Although Kotis says it could reach $60 million.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-13-2016 at 07:11 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 10:50 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
That's about the same price for a similar size project in downtown Greensboro (Bellemeade Village) and it's under construction. Although Kotis says it could reach $60 million.
It's a nice project IMO. Why will it take 10 years to complete? 10 years is a LONG time. Even when building a project in phases.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
It's a nice project IMO. Why will it take 10 years to complete? 10 years is a LONG time. Even when building a project in phases.
I think the apartments will happen much sooner, within 5 years. The hotel portion is another story. There are already five hotels planned for downtown, one of them already under construction. If most of these hotels are built, it may be some time before the downtown/midtown area can support an additional one. According to Marty Kotis, his hotel would rise above the 9 to 10 story apartments in his development so it would be a nice size hotel (I'm guessing between 12 and 15 stories ). With all of these hotel proposals floating around, it will be at least 10 years. It really depends on how much growth happens in downtown/midtown over the next decade.

I would like to see a smoother transition between downtown and midtown. Things kinda break up where Battleground Ave, Smith St and Benjamin Pkwy merges. That whole intersection should be redesigned to be more pedestrian friendly and Smith Street and Battleground Ave need to be two way streets at that point. There also needs to be more development (restaurants and retail) between downtown and Marty Kotis's apartment retail development. Midtown should become an extension of downtown the way you see in some cities such as Atlanta. This is why is disagree with ripping up the rail line along the planned Greenway which runs through midtown along the Battleground Ave corridor. This Greenway will connect with the downtown Greenway loop and extend far into northwest Greensboro. I think a greenway and rail line can coexist and it's a no-brainer for this to become a future light rail corridor connecting northwest Greensboro to midtown to downtown. I think ripping up the rails will be a decision the city is going to later regret from a transportation and development point of view.

As "midtown" Greensboro attracts more development I think streetscaping and building design becomes more and more important.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-14-2016 at 10:05 AM..

Old 02-14-2016, 11:13 AM

maps showing midtown in relationship to downtown

some of the midtown nightlife (restaurants/bars/lounge) You can see why Marty Kotis is planning this development.

Buckhead Saloon

The Underground

Pig Pounder Brewery

Fire Marshall Free House

World of Beer

1618 Wine Lounge

Burger Warfare

Red Cinemas Multiplex

some of the other restaurants include:

Tap Room Lounge
Kickback Jacks
Shane's Rib Shack
IHOP
Moe's Southwest Grill
Penn Station Subs
Brixx Wood Fired Pizza
Pastabilities
Lucky 32
Chipotle Mexican Grill
Firehouse Subs
Elizabeth's Pizza
Outback Steakhouse

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-14-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 02-14-2016, 03:31 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
maps showing midtown in relationship to downtown

some of the midtown nightlife (restaurants/bars/lounge) You can see why Marty Kotis is planning this development.

Buckhead Saloon

The Underground

Pig Pounder Brewery

Fire Marshall Free House

World of Beer

1618 Wine Lounge

Burger Warfare

Red Cinemas Multiplex

some of the other restaurants include:

Tap Room Lounge
Kickback Jacks
Shane's Rib Shack
IHOP
Moe's Southwest Grill
Penn Station Subs
Brixx Wood Fired Pizza
Pastabilities
Lucky 32
Chipotle Mexican Grill
Firehouse Subs
Elizabeth's Pizza
Outback Steakhouse
Not familiar with the Midtown Greensboro area. Would love to check the area out. Are there hotels in walking distance to these places,this area?

Off topic I know. You being in the know about Greensboro what new and exciting DT? Would love to see what your city has to offer.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:42 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Not familiar with the Midtown Greensboro area. Would love to check the area out. Are there hotels in walking distance to these places,this area?

Off topic I know. You being in the know about Greensboro what new and exciting DT? Would love to see what your city has to offer.
It's a fledgling idea that very few people even know about. The only references I ever see to Midtown Greensboro are by the same person on this and a couple of other sites. It may grow into something bigger one day but the idea seems to be a little contrived rather than organic. Greensboro has some great organic neighborhoods but this one is fairly recent and seems to include portions of other, already established ones (mainly Irving Park). You can look up any of the businesses listed above and there is no mention of any Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point