U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 07:53 PM

552 posts, read 309,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It's a fledgling idea that very few people even know about. The only references I ever see to Midtown Greensboro are by the same person on this and a couple of other sites. It may grow into something bigger one day but the idea seems to be a little contrived rather than organic. Greensboro has some great organic neighborhoods but this one is fairly recent and seems to include portions of other, already established ones (mainly Irving Park). You can look up any of the businesses listed above and there is no mention of any Midtown.
I think that some people are trying to make Greensboro grow faster and make it seem like more of an urban environment than it truly is. I don't live there, but whenever I visit and actually see what's going on versus what I have read in these forums, I come away feeling a bit misled.

I have a feeling that much of the details you will read by some posters in this forum and some of the Greensboro "movers and shakers" are little more than hype that has very little basis in economic reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 08:06 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,304,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I think that some people are trying to make Greensboro grow faster and make it seem like more of an urban environment than it truly is. I don't live there, but whenever I visit and actually see what's going on versus what I have read in these forums, I come away feeling a bit misled.

I have a feeling that much of the details you will read by some posters in this forum and some of the Greensboro "movers and shakers" are little more than hype that has very little basis in economic reality.
Well, you could always follow High Point forums where the only talk is the university and nothing gets done. That should be realistic enough and I promise you won't feel misled. People are big on labels and if a "midtown" label gets people pumped then more power to them. Right know it's dubbed as the Retail Entertainment District and one could make arguments against the validity of that tag as well.

Last edited by WFW&P; 02-14-2016 at 08:25 PM..

Old 02-14-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think the apartments will happen much sooner, within 5 years. The hotel portion is another story. There are already five hotels planned for downtown, one of them already under construction. If most of these hotels are built, it may be some time before the downtown/midtown area can support an additional one. According to Marty Kotis, his hotel would rise above the 9 to 10 story apartments in his development so it would be a nice size hotel (I'm guessing between 12 and 15 stories ). With all of these hotel proposals floating around, it will be at least 10 years. It really depends on how much growth happens in downtown/midtown over the next decade.

I would like to see a smoother transition between downtown and midtown. Things kinda break up where Battleground Ave, Smith St and Benjamin Pkwy merges. That whole intersection should be redesigned to be more pedestrian friendly and Smith Street and Battleground Ave need to be two way streets at that point. There also needs to be more development (restaurants and retail) between downtown and Marty Kotis's apartment retail development. Midtown should become an extension of downtown the way you see in some cities such as Atlanta. This is why is disagree with ripping up the rail line along the planned Greenway which runs through midtown along the Battleground Ave corridor. This Greenway will connect with the downtown Greenway loop and extend far into northwest Greensboro. I think a greenway and rail line can coexist and it's a no-brainer for this to become a future light rail corridor connecting northwest Greensboro to midtown to downtown. I think ripping up the rails will be a decision the city is going to later regret from a transportation and development point of view.

As "midtown" Greensboro attracts more development I think streetscaping and building design becomes more and more important.
Isn't part of the Greenway supposed to follow the RR tracks through that area? If so that would serve as the connector. Otherwise you're talking mucho dinero to reconfigure thoroughfares in that area.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:49 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,398,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It's a fledgling idea that very few people even know about. The only references I ever see to Midtown Greensboro are by the same person on this and a couple of other sites. It may grow into something bigger one day but the idea seems to be a little contrived rather than organic. Greensboro has some great organic neighborhoods but this one is fairly recent and seems to include portions of other, already established ones (mainly Irving Park). You can look up any of the businesses listed above and there is no mention of any Midtown.
Take a look in the local news and you'll see its being called midtown. The name is new but clearly a vibrant entertainment and restaurant district is emerging

Old 02-15-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Isn't part of the Greenway supposed to follow the RR tracks through that area? If so that would serve as the connector. Otherwise you're talking mucho dinero to reconfigure thoroughfares in that area.
Yes you are correct. It would indeed cost a lot of money to reconfigure that intersection. Even if the idea were proposed it would be years before it happen. The can't even finish making the rest of Greene St two way lol

Old 02-15-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Yes you are correct. It would indeed cost a lot of money to reconfigure that intersection. Even if the idea were proposed it would be years before it happen. The can't even finish making the rest of Greene St two way lol
Right? They said it would cost too much.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:35 AM

239 posts, read 213,124 times
Kotis is also planning to knock the IHOP down on the corner of green valley and battle ground and put something new there that should be nice.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 PM

62 posts, read 58,522 times
Looking forward to see if this comes to fruition within the next few years. I work near here and love this area of Greensboro. Big fan of the addition of more upscale apartments and mixed-use development, and World of Beer is awesome! Unfortunately, for the time being, a project this massive still appears to be a pipe dream. While I'm all for development and improvement, gimmicky restaurants and promises that take years (and years) to fulfill don't do it for me.

Recently went to the RED Cinemas for the first time. Very unimpressed--theater was musty/dank and still had ancient acoustical boards on the walls, flat screens over the urinals were dusty and had dried pee on them, and red paint was coated on everything in an effort to make it look upscale.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:08 PM

One thing to note is that Red Cinemas and the Grande Theater at Friendly Shopping Center are less than a mile apart. New stores and restaurants like the Cheesecake Factory should help encourage more development in the nearby midtown area.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:04 PM

239 posts, read 213,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyblue View Post
Looking forward to see if this comes to fruition within the next few years. I work near here and love this area of Greensboro. Big fan of the addition of more upscale apartments and mixed-use development, and World of Beer is awesome! Unfortunately, for the time being, a project this massive still appears to be a pipe dream. While I'm all for development and improvement, gimmicky restaurants and promises that take years (and years) to fulfill don't do it for me.

Recently went to the RED Cinemas for the first time. Very unimpressed--theater was musty/dank and still had ancient acoustical boards on the walls, flat screens over the urinals were dusty and had dried pee on them, and red paint was coated on everything in an effort to make it look upscale.
I agree red cinema is not upscale at all. I wish if he was going to rename and renovate he'd do a better job. Make it feel like your in New York or Chicago. I still feel like I'm in Greensboro when I'm in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point