U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 05:55 PM

421 posts, read 294,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoAZ View Post
The renderings look like some repackaged project from Phoenix, AZ, (ala the La Fitness) or any other metro with urban sprawl. I wonder if this is too big for Gboro.
Why on earth would this project be "too big for Greensboro"? It isn't like the area is podunk middle of nowhere town. It's a mid-rise hotel and some shops. A nice addition, it's not something "too big" for a city of almost 300K people. Especially considering that there are at least a half dozen other hotels in Greensboro that are larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 06:28 PM

4,592 posts, read 4,407,771 times
I agree this is certainly not too big considering Greensboro's largest hotel has over 1,000 rooms, one tower with 15 floors and the other tower with 28 floors.

This proposed "Aloft" hotel is a 10 story proposal that will be a part of an urban mixed use development that includes an existing movie theater, retail and restaurants. In fact the whole midtown area is turning into a mini downtown in terms of restaurants, bars, breweries and entertainment. Midtown is just as packed as downtown on a weekend night. Midtown has restaurants such as Pig Pounder Brewery, World of Beer, The Marshal Free House, Burger Warfare, Hops Burger Bar, Buckhead Saloon, Kickback Jacks, Gigi's Cupcakes and more. There are also wine bars, a comedy club and other night life entertainment. I think an Aloft hotel the size of what's being proposed fits well in midtown. Friendly Center, which has a number of high end retailers such as Brooks Brothers and restaurants such as PFChangs is also close by. A Cheesecake Factory will be opening there within a month. There are more than enough nearby establishments that makes it feasible for this development to have a 10 story Aloft Hotel and downtown is less than a mile away.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-02-2016 at 06:49 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 01:55 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
The renderings look like some repackaged project from Phoenix, AZ, (ala the La Fitness) or any other metro with urban sprawl. I wonder if this is too big for Gboro.
All metros have sprawl. And why do you think this would be "too big" for Greensboro? I can think of tons of metros of similar size that have built or are building similar mixed-use projects.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:41 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,054,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I agree this is certainly not too big considering Greensboro's largest hotel has over 1,000 rooms, one tower with 15 floors and the other tower with 28 floors.

This proposed "Aloft" hotel is a 10 story proposal that will be a part of an urban mixed use development that includes an existing movie theater, retail and restaurants. In fact the whole midtown area is turning into a mini downtown in terms of restaurants, bars, breweries and entertainment. Midtown is just as packed as downtown on a weekend night. Midtown has restaurants such as Pig Pounder Brewery, World of Beer, The Marshal Free House, Burger Warfare, Hops Burger Bar, Buckhead Saloon, Kickback Jacks, Gigi's Cupcakes and more. There are also wine bars, a comedy club and other night life entertainment. I think an Aloft hotel the size of what's being proposed fits well in midtown. Friendly Center, which has a number of high end retailers such as Brooks Brothers and restaurants such as PFChangs is also close by. A Cheesecake Factory will be opening there within a month. There are more than enough nearby establishments that makes it feasible for this development to have a 10 story Aloft Hotel and downtown is less than a mile away.
I know I'm hijacking the thread,kinda. Will be in Greensboro in a little over a month. Coming to the Katt Williams show at Greensboro Coliseum. It's on a Saturday night. Wanted to check out Downtown and Midtown. Haven't been been to Downtown Greensboro in years. Any advice on what is or will be open at that time you could give I'd appreciate. For before and after the show. I'm looking forward to seeing the new park. Is it open yet?

Btw clearly the proposed project isn't too big for Greensboro. That's just silly. Back on topic now

Old 09-03-2016, 10:03 AM

74 posts, read 174,755 times
Too big in the sense that it's a loss of character or cookie cutter retailers and restaurants that are no different than you find in other cities. In AZ, the sprawl is so bad, parts of the state look identical to other parts of the state; that is, same style and look of shopping centers, same stores, etc.

I like the developer's vision of Gboro and how he sees the greenway, etc. I just don't want to see Greensboro grow so fast it's like Raleigh or Charlotte in terms of cookie cutter developments.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Too big in the sense that it's a loss of character or cookie cutter retailers and restaurants that are no different than you find in other cities. In AZ, the sprawl is so bad, parts of the state look identical to other parts of the state; that is, same style and look of shopping centers, same stores, etc.

I like the developer's vision of Gboro and how he sees the greenway, etc. I just don't want to see Greensboro grow so fast it's like Raleigh or Charlotte in terms of cookie cutter developments.
This is anything but a cookie cutter development. I havent seen anything like this in Charlotte or Raleigh which has a mixed use development that includes a movie theater, luxury apartments, upscale hotel, retail and restaurants. This is certainly a unique project in this region and nothing about it is suburban. Many of the restaurants in midtown and what will likely be in this project are not national chain restaurants found everywhere else and thats a good thing. Check out Hop's Burger Bar which has some of the best Burgers around. They serve plenty of alcohol as well. Also check out Burger Warfare which also serves premium burgers and Pig Pounder Brewery. The Marshall Free House is a popular midtown restaurant as well.

Some midtown restaurants

Marshall Free House

Burger Warfare

1618 Wine Lounge

Buckhead Saloon

Pig Pounder Brewery

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-03-2016 at 01:47 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I know I'm hijacking the thread,kinda. Will be in Greensboro in a little over a month. Coming to the Katt Williams show at Greensboro Coliseum. It's on a Saturday night. Wanted to check out Downtown and Midtown. Haven't been been to Downtown Greensboro in years. Any advice on what is or will be open at that time you could give I'd appreciate. For before and after the show. I'm looking forward to seeing the new park. Is it open yet?

Btw clearly the proposed project isn't too big for Greensboro. That's just silly. Back on topic now
I think you'll find a good selection of restaurants, bars and nightclubs in downtown and midtown. The new park is open and its pretty cool. You should check it out

Old 09-03-2016, 07:35 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:

I'm still failing to see how this development is "too big" given this explanation. I think you're looking for another term to use.

Either way, new development is new development. Back in the day, cities built stuff in the architectural styles that were popular at the time (Victorian, Craftsman, Art Deco, etc.); this is no different really, except for the presence of chain restaurants and retail.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:21 PM

62 posts, read 58,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The Marshall Free House is a popular midtown restaurant as well.
But maybe not popular enough. Closing tonight until "early winter" to change concepts.
Marshall Free House makes way for Farmer's Realm

Old 09-04-2016, 09:31 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyblue View Post
But maybe not popular enough. Closing tonight until "early winter" to change concepts.
Marshall Free House makes way for Farmer's Realm
Another article was a bit more honest stating perhaps the clientele was not ready for specialized fare. The food was good but my first time there I thought it was pricey for what they served. Subsequent visits showed the prices lower and more sustainable for frequent visits. I think Macs may have hurt them a bit also. I applaud them for recognizing and changing course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point