U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 07:50 PM

424 posts, read 296,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlynFoma View Post
Smaller, dying rust belt cities like Scranton, PA and Binghamton, NY have a Wegmans and Greensboro's demographics are significantly better. I can see a Wegmans doing well here especially if Trader Joe's continues to be a no-show.
Exactly. I have family in Scranton and if Scranton (actually Dickson City I do believe) can support a Wegmans, so can Greensboro. The brand recognition isn't quite as strong down in NC, but the population in the Triad is so much greater than the SWB "metro".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 08:00 PM

4,604 posts, read 4,425,792 times
Its kinda like when Krispy Kreme started expanding across the country. We've always had Krispy Kreme so it wasn't a big deal to us. But people across the country went crazy over Krispy Kreme and at every new opening there were long lines.

Greensboro has always had the Fresh Market and many cities raved over that.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:20 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,474,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlynFoma View Post
Smaller, dying rust belt cities like Scranton, PA and Binghamton, NY have a Wegmans and Greensboro's demographics are significantly better. I can see a Wegmans doing well here especially if Trader Joe's continues to be a no-show.
Maybe, but Wegman's opened in those areas when the economy there was still pretty good. They wouldn't consider opening a store there now. I have been in a Wegman's in Pennsylvania, and its just hard for me to imagine Greensboro supporting a store like that. Maybe it was one of the larger ones and they would put a smaller concept here?

Last edited by BC1960; 06-06-2017 at 07:15 AM..

Old 06-06-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Its kinda like when Krispy Kreme started expanding across the country. We've always had Krispy Kreme so it wasn't a big deal to us. But people across the country went crazy over Krispy Kreme and at every new opening there were long lines.
Lets hope Wegman's doesn't follow the same trajectory as Krispy Kreme.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:08 AM

4,604 posts, read 4,425,792 times
Wegmans is high priced but I think Greensboro has the demographics for it. There is a lot of wealth in Greensboro. Some of it is old money. But I am surprised they have confirmed they are aggressively looking at a site in Greensboro but have said nothing about Charlotte. Meanwhile they are looking at four stores in the Raleigh-Durham area.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:03 AM

666 posts, read 580,966 times
Quote:
Wegmans is high priced but I think Greensboro has the demographics for it. There is a lot of wealth in Greensboro. Some of it is old money. But I am surprised they have confirmed they are aggressively looking at a site in Greensboro but have said nothing about Charlotte. Meanwhile they are looking at four stores in the Raleigh-Durham area.
I definitely think they go to the Triad next even though Charlotte is a more desirable demographic market. Harris Teeter & Publix are snatching most of the best locations making it difficult & more expensive if they want a area like Southpark. Plus HT is building mega stores in 80,000 Sq ft range complete with fuel centers along the outer-belt suburbs

Old 06-06-2017, 09:20 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,331,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Maybe, but Wegman's opened in those areas when the economy there was still pretty good. They wouldn't consider opening a store there now. I have been in a Wegman's in Pennsylvania, and its just hard for me to imagine Greensboro supporting a store like that. Maybe it was one of the larger ones and they would put a smaller concept here?
Seems around here the specialty grocers are smaller than main stream grocers. Aldi, TJs, Publix, Earth Fare, Deep Roots, Fresh Market, Whole Foods are significantly smaller than Lowes, FL, or HT. I imagine if Wegmans were to locate here it would be smaller than traditionally.

Quote:
If there's a lot of wealth in Greensboro they must bury it in jars in the backyard.

Last edited by WFW&P; 06-06-2017 at 09:33 AM..

Old 06-06-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Seems the specialty grocers are smaller than main stream grocers. Aldi, TJs, Publix, Earth Fare, Deep Roots, Fresh Market, Whole Foods are significantly smaller than Lowes, FL, or HT.
Wegmans stores are 75,000 to 140,000 sf.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:30 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,331,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Wegmans stores are 75,000 to 140,000 sf.
Fixed it.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Fixed it.
Unless they create a new size store, the smallest they have is 75,000 sf. Thats still a big store. I don't how big the store is that I have been in, larger than 75,000 I would guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point