U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 07:58 AM

774 posts, read 1,616,928 times

Advertisements

North Carolina is one of the most beautiful states in the Union.
Compared to many states, the roads and highways are maintained and the mediums mowed, trees cut, and even flowers and shrubbery planted and maintained.

I've noticed an increase of garbage being scattered along the roadways.
Seems like if a person can't afford to have their garbage collected (or they live in a rural county area), it's pretty darn cheap still pay for proper disposal.

For about $1.50, you can take a 33 gallon bag of garbage to a dump site.
This seems to be more than an issue of poverty.... is it anger?

Some of the prettiest roadways have garbage not dumped ... but strewn ... scattered along the sides.
I know it's been windy and critters get into a dumped bag... but any ideas on why its increasing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 09:00 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,541,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Compared to many states, the roads and highways are maintained and the mediums mowed, trees cut, and even flowers and shrubbery planted and maintained.

Seems like if a person can't afford to have their garbage collected (or they live in a rural county area), it's pretty darn cheap still pay for proper disposal.

Some of the prettiest roadways have garbage not dumped ... but strewn ... scattered along the sides.
I know it's been windy and critters get into a dumped bag... but any ideas on why its increasing?
I haven't seen an increase, personally. Where, specifically, have you noticed this?

Old 02-25-2016, 09:57 AM

261 posts, read 264,838 times
Quote:

Do you have any actual data to prove your premise that the situation is increasing? Casual, anecdotal observations on topics like this do not provide any real evidence to support the premise.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:33 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,325,437 times
Quote:

If it's strewn it most likely came from a moving vehicle hauling refuse that wasn't properly secured. Then motorists run over the refuse not helping the situation.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:35 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,029,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
Do you have any actual data to prove your premise that the situation is increasing? Casual, anecdotal observations on topics like this do not provide any real evidence to support the premise.

There is one such study that places NC as "Above Average", which, as much as I'd like to believe it, when seeing how the roads look here versus other states, I find hard to believe. It's here, though, if you want to see it:

The 2014 American State Litter Scorecard FINAL: USA's Dirtiest & Cleanest States Includes Statistics and Charts The 2014 American Society for Public Administration National Conference | Steve Spacek - Academia.edu

To me (and I'm speaking mainly about the Triad and some of the surrounding rural areas), it actually seems a little less bad (there's still way too much) than the last couple of winters.

I suppose what happens to make this look especially bad in the winter is the grass dies down and the litter really becomes visible, to an extreme in some areas, plus cleanups are basically suspended throughout the winter.

Aside from my own opinion that it seems less severe in the last year or two (maybe only because we had a milder winter earlier), over the span of the last 10-15 years, the problem seems to have gotten worse in NC compared to some of our neighboring states (VA, WV, even the impoverished portions of SC that the above study says is the "worst" state for litter- again, I've never seen evidence of that). I have to wonder what are they doing that NC is not doing, and is it a lack of a good strategy to tackle the problem that other states have, or a slobby, indifferent attitude of the residents here in general.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:02 PM

528 posts, read 453,987 times
I saw a guy with a Massachusetts license plate dump a ton of trash onto South Main St. in Kernersville recently.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:07 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,029,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
I saw a guy with a Massachusetts license plate dump a ton of trash onto South Main St. in Kernersville recently.
Wow , I hope he goes back to Massachusetts and stays there (although I still feel sorry for the decent people of MA to have this nuisance within their borders). And for the natives who do this, I wish they would go somewhere else and not return to NC as well.

There is always this the "Swat a Litterbug" program:

NCDOT Roadside Environmental Unit

I like the concept behind this, but I also am concerned that people who are empty headed, barbaric and trashy (in every sense of the word) enough to litter like this may litter even more as an act of defiance if they received a censure from the Swat a Litterbug campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point