U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 09:31 AM

91 posts, read 80,669 times

Advertisements

I posted about Mebane in the Raleigh/Durham board and it seems Mebane is also considered part of the triad, so figured I would post here as well. We are in the very beginning of looking for a home and are first time home buyers. We are looking for something under 260,00. I'd love to stay under 250k. We are pretty much just looking at new construction. Seems with being a first time buyer and not likely to have a 20% down payment, this will work best for us.

My husband and I work in the research triangle park area. And we live in the rtp area now, although most evenings with traffic it takes me 30 minutes to drive home if I leave work at 5. When there is no traffic I am a 15 minute commute to work right now. Coming from NY with an 1.5hr train commute each way, this has been wonderful. I much prefer driving to the train. How is the commute from Mebane?

If you have children in the schools there, are you happy with them? We don't have children yet but plan to. I consider a good school to be one that has good teachers who care, offers a wide range of activities from sports to arts to music, to theater, etc., and has involved parents, and is safe. So I feel like you don't get much out of looking at the ratings online. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Any other comments about living in that area would be appreciated! We wouldn't go further west than Mebane due to our work commutes and having family we visit with often in Chapel Hill.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 09:47 AM

3,867 posts, read 6,661,069 times
Mebane spreads across both Alamance and Orange counties and is popular especially for families where one person works in Greensboro/Guilford and the other works in the Triangle area. I don't know anything about specific schools, but I would think that you'd want to locate on the Orange Co side of Mebane for the schools. I have friends in Mebane but their daughter flew the nest several years ago. They love living there. We have some posters who live closer to that area than I do and can probably give you some more detailed info.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:15 PM

239 posts, read 213,288 times
I live in whitsett about 15mins from mebane and my wife use to work in mebane. it is a little town but growing. It's pretty far from raliegh Durham and Greensboro. But they do have the outlets and seem to be growing pretty fast.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:41 PM

74 posts, read 161,820 times
I grew up there and have friends and family that still live there. It is was a great place to grow up. I don't know about the schools (Alamance) now, but I wouldn't call them rigorous during my time. That said, they got me where I needed to go in life and I enjoyed it. As far living in the Orange side? The taxes are a lot higher I know, and it would seem to be it would be really far from the schools, with the Alamance schools being much closer in town.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:49 PM

91 posts, read 80,669 times
Thanks for the comments!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point