U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,033 times

Advertisements

We're lifelong residents of Virginia who are considering moving to Greensboro, but we want to make sure our four children will get a good education there. We currently live in the suburbs of Richmond (Chesterfield County), where the schools are excellent, but we're getting tired of the suburbs. We like parts of Richmond but it seems impossible to live closer in to the city and still find what we're looking for--namely, a neighborhood that is safe, affordable, within walking distance of shops and parks, and, most importantly, has good schools. I've been doing a lot of research on places in North Carolina and it seems like Greensboro has a lot of what we're looking for. My sister also went to college there and loved it, and I've been there a few times.

From looking around online, the Green Valley neighborhood is one that I'm liking so far. However, last night I was looking up statistics about it on this web site and it said something like 70 percent of the people in the neighborhood send their kids to private schools. I'm confused because I thought the schools assigned to the neighborhood were rated pretty well. I don't know how accurate the statistics are and of course I need to do more research, but I've heard of a lot of people in North Carolina in general sending their kids to private schools. We can't possibly afford to do that with four kids. If the public schools nearby are rated well, why are so many people choosing to use private schools?

A friend of mine moved from Richmond to another part of North Carolina recently and she said even though they were in a neighborhood with a nice school right around the corner, her daughter was assigned to a "bad" school farther away that they ended up hating (lots of fights, disrespectful kids, bullying) until they finally had to send her to a private school. What's the deal with school zoning in North Carolina? Here you almost always go to the school in your neighborhood--is it different there?

Also, we need to find out more about services for kids identified as gifted. Our oldest child (age 11) has been in the gifted program here since third grade, and our second-born (age 9) is currently being tested for the same program at the recommendation of his teacher. Can anyone tell me what the gifted program is like in Greensboro? Here we have a "center-based" program where gifted kids are in class only with other gifted kids. From what I've read so far, it seems like gifted kids in Greensboro are just pulled out of regular class for advanced instruction, or you can send them to a center-based program at one particular school but I read some negative things about the school online, like there's a lot of bullying from the regular-ed kids.

Any input on the schools in Greensboro would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 07:44 AM

261 posts, read 264,250 times
There are good schools and bad schools in G'boro, just like anywhere. In general, the higher rated schools are in the northwest suburbs...Oak Ridge, Summerfield, etc. Green Valley is a closer-in neighborhood. There's no way 70% of GV residents send their children to private schools. The middle and high school for GV are Kiser Middle and Grimsley high. They are fine schools. They don't have the highest ratings, but if you child is motivated and you are a good parent, your child will receive a good education. You should also consider some other neighborhoods like Starmount, Sunset Hills and Lindley Park.

In regard to school attendance zones there are are no statewide rules. For the most part, schools in NC are operated at the county level, and each county school board determines how school attendance zones are drawn. G'boro pretty much has a neighborhood model. Its easy to see what schools a house in assigned to on sites like Zillow. Just check with a more official site, like the Guilford County schools website to confirm.

Greensboro is a very nice family friendly town.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:28 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,697,545 times
I grew up in Green Valley. I'm not sure about the school situation, but Friendly Center is easy to walk to. I also enjoy Bog Garden and David Caldwell park ( we don't call it Tanger) for pleasant walks.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:11 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,930,504 times
I wouldn't depend too much on school ratings sites...some of the "bad" schools are actually quite good, and a competent motivated student who gets support at home can thrive in almost any environment. While the quality of schools within a system like Guilford County do vary, the teachers are all hired by the same central office and they all meet a similar standard...the main variable is usually the economics of the surrounding community, so as long as you're not moving to a low-income area the school should be just fine.

I always advise parents to actually visit the schools in question if possible and talk to the administrators and teachers - it's the only way you can get a good feel for the atmosphere and that will help you decide if it's a good fit for your child more than test scores or online ratings.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:26 AM

11,258 posts, read 19,796,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingMama View Post
A friend of mine moved from Richmond to another part of North Carolina recently and she said even though they were in a neighborhood with a nice school right around the corner, her daughter was assigned to a "bad" school farther away that they ended up hating (lots of fights, disrespectful kids, bullying) until they finally had to send her to a private school. What's the deal with school zoning in North Carolina? Here you almost always go to the school in your neighborhood--is it different there?
The friend may live in Wake County, where some schools are "capped" to prevent overcrowding, especially in fast-growing neighborhoods. I don't think that is a problem in Greensboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point