U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 7,525 times

Advertisements

"Effective July 1, vehicles in violation of this Land Development Ordinance (LDO) regulation will be issued a $50 parking ticket. Failure to pay for three parking tickets within a 90-day period may result in wheel locks being attached to the vehicle."

City of Greensboro, NC : Front Yard Parking
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 03:46 PM

5,914 posts, read 4,970,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewies View Post
"Effective July 1, vehicles in violation of this Land Development Ordinance (LDO) regulation will be issued a $50 parking ticket. Failure to pay for three parking tickets within a 90-day period may result in wheel locks being attached to the vehicle."

City of Greensboro, NC : Front Yard Parking
I'm glad I don't live in the city.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:41 AM

398 posts, read 414,263 times
Many cities have this type of ordinance. Its not about parking on the grass. Its about the front yard of houses becoming parking lots. Its looks trashy and lowers property values. If you lived next door to someone parking 3 or 4 cars in their front yard you'd wish this ordinance was in effect.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:48 AM

3,061 posts, read 6,161,738 times
What about property rights? Why can't I do whatever I want as long as it's my own property?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:00 AM

11,933 posts, read 13,092,150 times
I agree with Charles and I do live next door to folks with multiple cars here in Chapel Hill and it doesn't bother me. If a HOA wants to enforce this kind of regulation for a specific neighborhood, but it's not the city's business.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:51 AM

4,074 posts, read 7,322,559 times
Don't worry, the legislature will probably decide that it's an overreach of power by the Greensboro City Council and pass a bill to make the ordinance null and void.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 AM

5,048 posts, read 8,018,744 times
Wow.

Well, this may be why they did it like this. They want to control that no-man's land.

In areas I'm familiar with, the DOT controls from the middle road line our so many feet. 15' - 30'. Even in the same city, can be different lengths depending on the situation. The idea being that's where the utilities are (easements) and where the DOT can expand the road to if need be. And DOT's only requirements were that there not be any heavy, permanent structures on their strip that they could not easily move...such as a wall or a boulder decoration.

In these same places, if there was a problem with people parking in front - and there being no sidewalks and curbs so the vehicle was mostly on the grass - the local law enforcement said as long as the vehicle was mostly off the road and on the grass they couldn't ticket because it then wouldn't come under their domain. There was usually a rule of thumb...3/4 off the road, just a little of the outer two tires remaining on the road, etc. was okay. They controlled the road parking, making sure all lanes were safely clear.

Which frustrated HOAs that didn't want any part of the vehicles on the front lawns, whether the homeowner part (which would then come under HOA rules) nor the DOT part.

So the HOAs I have been familiar with regarding this only had legal jurisdiction over the grass beyond the DOT controlled strip. So, generally, 15'- 30' from the middle line in toward the house.

That said, yes, they could still send out letters to mow if you didn't mow often enough. Because - are your heads spinning yet - they got around that by saying DOT would mow for you if you didn't. And they would let DOT know.

Then there came a time when the DOTs got caught in the financial wreck and had no money to spare. So then some HOA boards I know would say they would do the mowing in DOTs place. But I think they then wanted payment.

At any rate, the city of Greensboro seems to have laid claim over that no-man's land.

May question would be what is considered "parking". People taking an emergency phone call and not wanting to drive? People looking for directions on their phone? Both of which have really annoyed me when I mow, pay to water and seed and fertilize and would likely be sued if someone fell in that no-man's strip....and they sit there making a call. (Yes, I go and ask them how I can help.)

Maybe it's over an hour (again with neighbor's parties). Or maybe just several hours or overnight.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Wow.

Well, this may be why they did it like this. They want to control that no-man's land.

In areas I'm familiar with, the DOT controls from the middle road line our so many feet. 15' - 30'. Even in the same city, can be different lengths depending on the situation. The idea being that's where the utilities are (easements) and where the DOT can expand the road to if need be. And DOT's only requirements were that there not be any heavy, permanent structures on their strip that they could not easily move...such as a wall or a boulder decoration.

In these same places, if there was a problem with people parking in front - and there being no sidewalks and curbs so the vehicle was mostly on the grass - the local law enforcement said as long as the vehicle was mostly off the road and on the grass they couldn't ticket because it then wouldn't come under their domain. There was usually a rule of thumb...3/4 off the road, just a little of the outer two tires remaining on the road, etc. was okay. They controlled the road parking, making sure all lanes were safely clear.

Which frustrated HOAs that didn't want any part of the vehicles on the front lawns, whether the homeowner part (which would then come under HOA rules) nor the DOT part.

So the HOAs I have been familiar with regarding this only had legal jurisdiction over the grass beyond the DOT controlled strip. So, generally, 15'- 30' from the middle line in toward the house.

That said, yes, they could still send out letters to mow if you didn't mow often enough. Because - are your heads spinning yet - they got around that by saying DOT would mow for you if you didn't. And they would let DOT know.

Then there came a time when the DOTs got caught in the financial wreck and had no money to spare. So then some HOA boards I know would say they would do the mowing in DOTs place. But I think they then wanted payment.

At any rate, the city of Greensboro seems to have laid claim over that no-man's land.

May question would be what is considered "parking". People taking an emergency phone call and not wanting to drive? People looking for directions on their phone? Both of which have really annoyed me when I mow, pay to water and seed and fertilize and would likely be sued if someone fell in that no-man's strip....and they sit there making a call. (Yes, I go and ask them how I can help.)

Maybe it's over an hour (again with neighbor's parties). Or maybe just several hours or overnight.
I'm not sure what your point is exactly, but you seem to be confusing several issues. First, "DOT" (assuming you mean NCDOT) has nothing to do with city streets. They only control state roads and highways. The typical city street has nothing to do with DOT.

Second, ordinances prohibiting parking in front yards has nothing to do with strip between the curb and the sidewalk.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I agree with Charles and I do live next door to folks with multiple cars here in Chapel Hill and it doesn't bother me. If a HOA wants to enforce this kind of regulation for a specific neighborhood, but it's not the city's business.
I assumed, and hope, that Charles' post is facetious. Property rights are not absolute. For example, zoning laws prohibit my neighbor from operating a slaughter house on his property. Controlling land use and protecting my property rights from intrusion by others certainly is the city's business.

You'd be ok living next door to this?
Attached Thumbnails
Do not park on the grass.-cars-parked-yard-1.jpg  

Old 04-22-2016, 10:09 AM

5,914 posts, read 4,970,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
Many cities have this type of ordinance. Its not about parking on the grass. Its about the front yard of houses becoming parking lots. Its looks trashy and lowers property values. If you lived next door to someone parking 3 or 4 cars in their front yard you'd wish this ordinance was in effect.
No I would not. It's their property, it's their business. So as long as they're not infringing on my rights or being disruptive, they can do what they want. Would I like for them to take more pride in their property? Of course I would. I grew up in a rural area where anything goes. Yet, almost always, even people in these rural areas took pride in their property and didn't need any ordinance to tell them what to do.

If it bothered me so much that my neighbor was parking a bunch of cars in his/her front yard, I would gladly offer them a parking space or two in my driveway if I had the space, or I would gladly assist them with making their property conducive to parking all of their vehicles properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point