U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 06:39 AM

40 posts, read 142,452 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving to the area soon and our kids love malls - go figure. Can anyone tell me about Oak Hollow Mall in High Point? Is it considered low-end (outlet), Avg (safe, with JC Penny, sears-like stores) or high-end (Nordstrom, Cheescake factory, etc - like Southpark in Charlotte).
Also, how does it compare to Hanes Mall in Winston Salem?
We like to hang out in bookstores/coffee shops etc. as a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 06:51 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,258,484 times
I'd say average. There's a Belk, JC Penny, Dillards, and Sears. Barnes and Noble. Circuit City. Regal Cinemas. No coffee shops inside anymore, but you can go to B&N for that.

Store Directory by Category - Oak Hollow Mall (http://www.oakhollowmall.com/shop/oakhollow.nsf/storedir_all_cat - broken link)

Store Directory by Category - Hanes Mall (http://www.shophanesmall.com/shop/hanes.nsf/storedir_all_cat - broken link)

I'd rank the area malls as:

1. Hanes Mall.
2. Friendly Center.
3. Four Seasons Mall.
4. Oak Hollow Mall.
5. Colonial Mall.

Last edited by superk; 02-13-2008 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-13-2008, 07:34 AM

525 posts, read 1,925,570 times
Friendly is my favorite in the area. Unless you are just close to Oak Hollow. We never go to "malls" except Friendly Center, and it doesn't even qualify as a mall, IMHO.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:00 PM

3,491 posts, read 7,863,621 times
Friendly Center in Greensboro is the best mall in the Triad in my opinion. It is an open-air mall but it has all the stores you'd expecxt to find in any indoor mall. Friendly Center has several department stores like Macy's, Belk and Sears. You can also find Old Navy and Barnes & Noble there. Friendly Center just opened up an upscale addition to the shopping center called "The Shops at Friendly Center". There you'll find upscale stores like Brooks Brothers and Brook Brothers Women, REI, Coldwater Creek an Apple Store, also upscale restaurants such as PF Changs. The world's largest Harris Teeter (nicknamed taj-ma-heeter) is there too which includes a sushi bar, cheese bar, pizzaria, olive bar and a very large wine selection. The supermarket is over 70,000 square feet. There is a rumor that they plan to build a Cheesecake Factory there but I cant confirm that. There is a central courtyard there with free wifi internet access. Also another part of the shops at friendly Center will include a 5-story condominum complex called Somerset at Friendly. This is defintaely my shopping destination.

Four Seasons Mall in Greensboro next to the Koury Convention Center is a three-level mall that has good stores but lately crime has been on the rise on the mall property so I dont go there. There have been a number of robberies in the mall and outside the mall. A couple of people have also been killed in the mall parking lot.

Last edited by gsoboi; 02-14-2008 at 02:11 PM..

Old 02-16-2008, 09:06 PM

71 posts, read 257,720 times
When it comes to malls in the Triad, here is my list:

1.Four Seasons/Friendly Center (Tie, both have great stores and have stores that the other one does not have) Crime is really not an issue at Four Seasons. It is true that there has been a shooting there, but I wouldn't let that scare you away. It's a safe and nice mall, and also they have a new megaplex which is pretty impressive and cheap compared to the Grande Consolidated at Friendly
2. Hanes Mall
3. Oak Hollow (It's a decent mall but I really don't make it to High Point that much. Good if you live near by, but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit it)

But I'm not really a big mall shopper and I try to avoid shopping and consuming at corporate chains. Also, if you're in Greensboro and want to see a movie, support your local business owner at Carousel! It's a modern megaplex, but it is independent. (Similar to the Galaxy in Cary... one of the reasons I would go to Cary, but less Indian films, unfortunately)
But I do like walking around in them on cold, nasty days every now and then. (Scratch Friendly off for that... it's open air, unfortunately)

Hope this helps out.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,628 times
Default oak hollow

Ok. Oak Hollow Mall used to be one of my favorite places to shop. However, it appears as though the mall is closing or in some serious trouble. I have lived in this area for 10 years and I have never seen so many stores close and not renew their leases like I have in the past 18 months at Oak Hollow. There has not been an official word that the mall is closing, but the writing is on the wall. I have diverted my mall shopping to Concord Mills, Hanes Mall and Four Seasons Mall. I have never been a huge fan of the Four Seasons Mall, but it has the stores that Oak Hollow used to have a short while ago. Oak Hallow is in a decent area, not too far from High Point University, but if you're looking for a nearby book store, Barnes and Noble is across the way in the same area. I'm from New Jersey and I'm used to large outlet malls and a variety of choices, but for the area of North Carolina that I'm in, this is ok. I'd rather take the day at Concord Mills Mall in Concord, NC - outside of Charlotte.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:43 AM

627 posts, read 1,864,885 times
Four Seasons is a favorite for Flotsam and Jetsam teen agers. The 80's was it's hay-day. Now it's a low-class respite.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:56 PM

57 posts, read 223,431 times
Here is an article about the uncertain fate of Oak Hollow that was recently on WXII: Oak Hollow Mall's Fate Uncertain - Winston-Salem News Story - WXII Winston-Salem (http://www.wxii12.com/news/16898617/detail.html - broken link)

Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 PM

779 posts, read 2,933,025 times
I found out from some of the managers who work in the Friendly area that the folks who own the Friendly shopping area had the older part, and was not renewing leases or adding on new leases and they built the newer part of Friendly, making that available, which filled up quickly and nicely. Once that was done, they again set out leases for the older buildings, which also seem full up.

The Article jjp4 mentions notes that the same advertising company for Oak Hollow mall also advertises for Friendly. Maybe there's a connection? It oculd be that the company has something more in the works, or is trying to divert businesses in a certain direction, though I'm not sure where that would be unless it were the Palladium area in High point (the new cinemas, etc). That area is new, it's nice, and there are still some larger, vacant spots.

Just a thought for the bucket.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:24 PM

545 posts, read 462,348 times
I was at Oak Hollow Mall today and was really surprised at the amount of empty spaces in the mall. To be honest though, I don't believe the mall has been at 100% occupancy since it opened. It is to bad though, the mall seems to be very well kept up and in a nice area of High Point. Maybe when the Highway 311 project is completed, the area might take off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point