U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:01 AM

3,491 posts, read 7,864,067 times

Advertisements

I have always suspected that the prices are jacked up in some neighborhoods to keep the "undesirables" out. Even in the Southide Downtown neighborhood I live in. Its a great neighborhood with nice townhomes but some of them are not worth the price they are asking for such as the Tower Homes. They are unique but I dont think they are worth $270,000 considering the small space in those townhomes. Other townhomes in Southside are $500,000 and they are barely the size of an average ranch home. I've noticed this through the city even in the old Irving Park Neighborhhood which is a predominately white upper middle class to wealthy neighborhood. The houses and the land arent worth what the value is.

Alot of people dont like to talk about it but race is still an issue. I dont know if anyone has noticed but when a new subdivision is constructed, you'll typical see a large number of white people move in and the some blacks will move in. For the first 3 years or so its a mixed neighborhood. Then the for sale signs start popping up and the next thing you know the entire neighborhood is black. This has been common in Greensboro for a number of decades. Look at the Woodmere Park and Kings Forest neighborhood in Northeast Greensboro. Those two neighborhoods were built by Kirkman & Koury back in the late 1960s/early 70s. Both neighborhoods were entirely white. Today both are entirely black neighborhoods. The crime rate is pretty low there, especially in Kings Forest because the neighborhood make up is mainly middle class to upper middle class blacks. So why did the white people move away? With exception to Glenwood, you rarely see mixed neighborhoods in Greensboro. The vast majority of African-Americans and other minorities live on the east side of Greensboro while the majority of white people live on the west side of Greensboro.

Last edited by gsoboi; 07-18-2008 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:33 PM

779 posts, read 2,933,201 times
Default Where can I go?

For me personally, and well-integrated neighborhood would be best - for ME. I have lived around the world and on all angles of our country. I can't sit still in one demographic or the other, I need the eclectic mix to feel "at home."

Lucky me, the racial freedom I have found. But, now that I have a young daughter I need to know that she is going to go to a safe school, a good school, also one that encourages manners (you know, the covert education...what I learned in Kindergarten, etc.). I find myself feeling forced to look in neighborhoods that are predominantly white. Even though I am myself white, I am really bothered by this! Honestly, I don't want to be fet stuck in any one-sided neighborhood and find myself longing for Europe....where Black people spoke french and blonde people spoke Italian and the any Russians I met already knew Chinese. *sigh*

I am lucky, and yet I feel spoiled. *slump*

What realtor can honestly help me with my dilemma - TRUE RACIAL FREEDOM! What is so d-Ganged wrong about wanting that?

Old 07-19-2008, 05:10 AM

34 posts, read 78,012 times
Red face Yeiks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillieB View Post
Shea, thank you for a wonderfully candid and honest post. I have never heard of the "pie" analogy, and want to know more about it, specifically what neighborhoods fall in what aspect of the pie, etc... I will ask my realtor about it.

Which brings up this question..... I have asked my realtors if they can advice me about the safety element of a neighborhood if I see a house I am interested in. They told me that they cannot BY LAW advise me as to anything other than public record statistics of crime, demographics, etc. I even went so far as to ask, if I were an unmarried sister or other relative that they loved, would they recommend or not recommend a neighborhood to me. Still, they would not budge and will not give me any honest opinions about the ethnic mix of a neighborhood.

Being a single woman, I need to know that I will be safe and living in a reasonably diverse neighborhood. And if no one will tell me, how am I otherwise to know?

I have been visiting Greensboro on house-hunting tours with my realtor. What they showed me mostly were very lovely houses in new or under-construction developments in the $100-$130,000 price range. Really lovely homes. There no families about... no children playing in the yard, etc., and I could not get a feel for the demographics of the neighborhood. And my realtor "by law" steadfastly refuses to help me. So what am I to do?

Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated, as I am as clueless as the original poster who started this very informative thread... Thank you to you

- L
Stop right there... You need a Broker, not a realtor. You need someone that works for you and not the seller. Their underlying motivation is to unload a house for the seller thus not so very much taking into account of what you need. I know that may seem a bit harsh, but true. Realtors are like cars salesmen in my opinion, and you know opinions are like a-holes, we all have one

Look up my email Addy and email me via my profile on here. My Life Partner is in a business that can get you several different referrals for a broker if you so choose. He has lived here in GSO for about 30 yrs and can with out a doubt direct you in an area for your search. Happy Hunting!
Shea

Old 07-19-2008, 05:26 AM

34 posts, read 78,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
For me personally, and well-integrated neighborhood would be best - for ME. I have lived around the world and on all angles of our country. I can't sit still in one demographic or the other, I need the eclectic mix to feel "at home."

Lucky me, the racial freedom I have found. But, now that I have a young daughter I need to know that she is going to go to a safe school, a good school, also one that encourages manners (you know, the covert education...what I learned in Kindergarten, etc.). I find myself feeling forced to look in neighborhoods that are predominantly white. Even though I am myself white, I am really bothered by this! Honestly, I don't want to be fet stuck in any one-sided neighborhood and find myself longing for Europe....where Black people spoke french and blond people spoke Italian and the any Russians I met already knew Chinese. *sigh*

I am lucky, and yet I feel spoiled. *slump*

What realtor can honestly help me with my dilemma - TRUE RACIAL FREEDOM! What is so d-Ganged wrong about wanting that?
I love your way of thinking on this matter and yearn for the same thing myself. Why is it that Europe is much more tolerant of different races all in one melting pot?? I yearn for a education system where we all are not "forced" to learn English if we are not from here. Hence the big push for immigration laws. I would love for my daughter to attend a school where every language was taught and not shunned. God Bless America good ole GWB

We choose where we live as a result of that, a mix of races and education status. I want my daughter to learn and grow with the attitude of acceptance and tolerance. Education is a huge factor for me in that matter and I will live where I deemed fit based on the school for my daughter. After she is graduated and off to college then I can look at other factors which hopefully includes relocation to Europe!

As I suggested in my last post, get a broker, not a realtor and if you do all ready have one, I suggest you dump them, because if they are not showing you homes all over that may work for you, then something isn't right. Why am I getting the feeling there is a pattern here.... hhmmmmmm

Old 07-19-2008, 06:04 AM

27,903 posts, read 34,473,849 times
http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/94B4CF11-AD04-44CC-9B7A-C9FB54DC5B4F/0/GPDFAQ.pdf (broken link)
2008 Crime Statistics (http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/departments/Police/Statistics/ - broken link)
Resources for New Residents (http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/visitors/NewResidents/default.htm - broken link)
City Fact Sheet (http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/departments/Planning/statistics/cityfactsheet.htm - broken link)
Web Mapping (http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/departments/MIS/gis/WebMapping.htm - broken link)
outside.in - crime in Greensboro NC
Greensboro Crime Map - Showing Crime in Greensboro, NC - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here

Old 07-19-2008, 07:17 AM

32 posts, read 138,242 times
Thanks so much for your advice everyone. And a special apology to you, Audreyhardwick -- I did not mean to hijack your thread. I am new here. Very very sorry. But you have all helped me so much.

And Shea... I'm beginning to see the pattern too and am feeling uneasy about it. But this broker (it is broker) and I have been corresponding on and off for over a year now, and they devoted a day to driving me around looking at houses last year. I sort of have a relationship with them and would not know how to disengage if I wanted to. It's hard. However, some things have happened lately that have made me wonder if they're entirely on my side. I don't know... maybe it's just the nature of the species (realtor) that I'm uneasy with. Sigh.

Anyway, thanks for all the help - so glad I found this site.

LillieB

Old 07-20-2008, 08:21 AM

27,903 posts, read 34,473,849 times
2007 Violent Crime Map by Tract (http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/34F941E1-28DB-4983-8CC4-BDB4299DB65E/0/2007ViolentCrimeMap.pdf - broken link)

2007 Property Crime Map by Tract (http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/38853D6A-9B1E-4D30-BE4E-E4B5A6CF73E9/0/2007PropertyCrimeMap.pdf - broken link)

I meant to add that.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,109 times
Lightbulb crime in gboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caodhan View Post
A lot of these references to violence are blown out of proportion by the media. Greensboro is a growing city, and as it is becoming a bigger city, it can gain issues. I'm not saying that my city is perfect by any means... but you should feel safe in this city.
greensboro isn't perfect but it's gotten a lot better with a lot more to do; if we want it to be safe or safer, we have to be willing to form community watches and step up to taking care of things ourselves, including supporting anti-gang work and supporting the police - not just allowing the city govt to form an anti-robbery division and then an anti-gang division and then drop both because they refuse to come up with the money

Old 11-17-2008, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 16,620 times
What do you think about 27406 ?
I'm gonna move to Greensboro in a few months and I need advice about a good safe neighborhoods to live. 27406 is the zip code where I'll work. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:37 PM

71 posts, read 257,739 times
I could help better by getting a street name, to tell you of best areas to live near by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point