Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 04:27 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,427,227 times

Advertisements

[quote=LM117;44112927 Only VA, NC and SC have I-73 on their radar, so I-73 will only run from Roanoke VA to Myrtle Beach SC, if and when it's ever built. However, judging by actions alone, NC seems to be the only state serious about building I-73.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I will take that! This would offer a very nice alternative way from the Triad to DC/Baltimore. Once you get to Roanoke, you are on I-81, to I-66, to Metro DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 05:02 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
NC DOT is not great, nor is the government that controls it. However, Virginia's DOT and government are even worse with respect to transportation. Making US 29 an interstate or interstate quality should have been a relatively easy and cost-effective way of relieving congestion on 95 and 85 in the Old Dominion. Instead, VA is stymied by a foolish inability to raise the gas tax, which is why transportation and infrastructure is frozen in time in the Commonwealth.
You got that right! Almost all of the transportation money goes to NoVA and it shows. Sometime in the early 1990's, the Lynchburg City Council wanted I-83 extended from Baltimore to Greensboro following the US-29 corridor. Of course, it fell on deaf ears. I wish it had been done. US-29 certainly needs an upgrade.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:06 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Actually being able to see our tax dollars going to work just up the road is enough for me to be OK with our gas tax. Only thing I do worry about is the increase of noise from traffic. Might entice my wife and I to move up into Summerfield at some point in the next 10 years.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Actually being able to see our tax dollars going to work just up the road is enough for me to be OK with our gas tax. Only thing I do worry about is the increase of noise from traffic. Might entice my wife and I to move up into Summerfield at some point in the next 10 years.
I don't think you'll have anything to worry about anytime soon. I-73 is dead in VA, so there won't be much interstate traffic when NCDOT finishes their part.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/...3997f96d8.html

Old 05-26-2016, 04:24 AM

Yeah, I think Greensboro can forget about having an interstate connection to Roanoke and I-81. As far as southside VA goes, just stick a fork in it. It's extra crispy.

Henry County leaders to make decision on I-73 project

Old 05-26-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Yeah, I think Greensboro can forget about having an interstate connection to Roanoke and I-81. As far as southside VA goes, just stick a fork in it. It's extra crispy.

Henry County leaders to make decision on I-73 project
Here's an article from the Martinsville Bulletin.

County Supervisors Told I-73 Project Appears To Be Over

It just boggles my mind how those running Henry County VA have no stones to take a chance on something that has a great potential of reviving the area. They would rather waste the money on smaller projects that aren't going to have any impact on economic development. Folks, this is why that area is dead.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:17 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:

It just boggles my mind how those running Henry County VA have no stones to take a chance on something that has a great potential of reviving the area. They would rather waste the money on smaller projects that aren't going to have any impact on economic development. Folks, this is why that area is dead.
The constituents of Henry County, Virginia, should be informed their Board of Supervisors is against economic growth and improving roads. Three supervisor seats are up for election next year. Challengers who are for economic growth and improving roads will gain votes against incumbents.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The constituents of Henry County, Virginia, should be informed their Board of Supervisors is against economic growth and improving roads. Three supervisor seats are up for election next year. Challengers who are for economic growth and improving roads will gain votes against incumbents.
Even if the pro-economic growth politicians get elected in Henry County (if there's any left ), it doesn't change the fact that the Commonwealth Transportation Board (which VDOT falls under) tends to give NoVA damn near all of the transportation money while telling everybody else to pound sand. Also, most of the influential politicians in the VA General Assembly that have the most clout are from NoVA. Just because NoVA is the economic powerhouse of VA, it doesn't mean the rest of the state should go to ****. If people think the rural/urban divide in NC is bad, they haven't seen nothing yet.

Last edited by LM117; 05-26-2016 at 08:49 AM..

Old 05-26-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:

And yet, those same elected jackasses will complain and wonder why the area is dead and losing population. Score One for logic!

Old 05-26-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I sure hope so, because the board they have right now is down right horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point